IGNORED

What's wrong with Florida?

Nebraska

Hours after a 15-year-old girl was accused of killing her 16-year-old brother Monday night in their Columbia County home, News4Jax learned that her 11-year-old sister was also charged in connection with the case.

The Sheriff's Office said 15-year-old Misty “Ariel” Renee Kornegay admitted she shot her 16-year-old brother, then walked away from the home with her 11-year-old sister, Nicole, leaving their 3-year-old sister at home.

Deputies said the shooting happened about 9:30 p.m. at 1205 Sophie Drive in the north part of the county, not far from White Springs.

"Anytime you come on scene with something this horrific, which you have juveniles or children involved, it's pretty unsettling, even to seasoned law enforcement and deputies," said Columbia County Sheriff Mark Hunter.

Investigators said the parents were out of town and Ariel Kornegay (pictured left with Nicole, right) retrieved the handgun used in the shooting from the parents' bedroom. They have not revealed a motive.

ArielKornegay-NicoleKornegayMugs-jpg.jpg

source

The manatees are slowly being killed off by assholes with boats and pollution. Florida is easily one of the most backwards places I've been in the USA (specifically Fort Lauderdale)

Great Cuban food though. And gators!

Florida is easily one of the most backwards places I've been in the USA (specifically Fort Lauderdale)

Truth. Went on vacation there last year with the family for a week. Drove from D-toilet to Orlando & to the Atlantic side by Canaveral. A lot of the residents reminded me of Grandpa (Barnard Hughes) from the movie Lost Boys. And not just age. There may be such a thing as too much sun. Eccentricity ran rampant. What was up with all the anti-abortion signage too? there was a sign every 100ft it felt like (30.48 meters for our overseas friends).

Edited by olo

As a Florida native (an endangered species) one of the big problems is the amount of carpetbaggers. Between New York & New Jersey, a lot of those peeps have an idealic vision of Florida, like it will solve all of the shitty problems they left behind. Instead, they actually bring their whole shitty attitude and shitty culture down South, which no one needs. In the other direction, you have millions of Cubans & Puerto Ricans in Broward County, effectively making it a Hispanic region. They also have notoriously loose "Pain Clinic" laws which has resulted in the worst OxyContin epidemic. Top that off with a douchebag completely corrupt Governor, who unsuccessfully tried to block gay marriage, and has eliminated social services for the citizens who need it most, an insurance industry on the edge of collapse, a completely fucked water table, all it will take is one more massive hurricane like Andrew, and Florida will be the next New Orleans.

As a Florida native (an endangered species)

What's up with all the anti abortion signage?

A very large conservative Christian community here.

Interesting, is it the whole state, or just northern/central Fl.? Is it retirees or has it always had a conservative, indigenous population?

i lived in florida for fifteen years. i think it gets shit on too much. yeah, it's a little backwards when it comes to social programs and there's still some racial tension and "dixie pride" bullshit, but overall, it's a decent place to live. the beaches are incredible, cost of living is cheap, and the people are very warm and friendly.

i think the "florida man" phenomenon is heavily influenced by confirmation bias. i'm sure the same amount of crazy happens in big states like california and texas.

Edited by Hoodie

I too have lived in Florida. My sister was born there.

What's wrong with Florida is the same as what's wrong with the entire Southern U.S. But Florida has manatees and clear springs and Cubano sandwiches and the Keys, and Key Lime Pie, and so Florida wins the South.

Major issues not replicated in the South as a whole: it's way too goddamn flat, you will probably die in a hellish sinkhole catastrophe, and Clearwater.

I've lived there for a couple of years. One of the main reasons for moving back to california was the education system there is pretty bad. Didn't want my boys to be in that environment. Neighbors thought I was cool since I was from cali... But hated my guts when the Lakers beat Orlando in the NBA Championship back in 2008.

florida is in the states...that's what

Have you been there or anywhere in the USA for that matter?

I quite liked the swamps tho, as an organic garden nut, the thought of such rich soils is pretty epic. That and crocs and gators... I've long had a fantasy of having a very large aquatic reptile friend who sees me as one of its own. We'd get so many chicks...