IGNORED

What's wrong with Florida?

Nebraska

7 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

@ignatius

Genuinely curious: what will happen to you if you wear a mask everywhere you go? Please give it a shot and return with a full report. 

just went to the grocery store and to pick up some cuban food and lot's of masks. only saw one guy in the grocery store w/o a mask. i'm in west ft lauderdale more or less. so, around here most people staying masked. 

i flew through atlanta to get here and the flight attendants got on the PA like every 10 minutes to instruct people to keep masks on and how to eat while wearing a mask etc.. "you can't just hold a drink in your hand and keep your mask down as if you're eating for the entire flight"

today i was told that flight disruptions are up like 3000% or something and mostly in southern states. but, thankfully my flights were drama free. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

@ignatius

Genuinely curious: what will happen to you if you wear a mask everywhere you go? Please give it a shot and return with a full report. 

and preferably also an “Im with her” t-shirt

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

just went to the grocery store and to pick up some cuban food and lot's of masks. only saw one guy in the grocery store w/o a mask. i'm in west ft lauderdale more or less. so, around here most people staying masked. 

i flew through atlanta to get here and the flight attendants got on the PA like every 10 minutes to instruct people to keep masks on and how to eat while wearing a mask etc.. "you can't just hold a drink in your hand and keep your mask down as if you're eating for the entire flight"

today i was told that flight disruptions are up like 3000% or something and mostly in southern states. but, thankfully my flights were drama free. 

You’re lucky you avoided this clusterfuck

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/10/10/southwest-airlines-cancels-1000-more-flights-as-disruptions-mount.html

anecdote: my mom lives in the city oof pembroke pines now.. has been here a few years now. the recycling program for the whole city is ending in like a month.  i asked why she said it's because people dont do it right and put all kinds of garbage in the recycle bins.. like dirty diapers and big hunks of styrofoam and cat litter and stuff.. so it's just too expensive to pay people to sort out all the non-recyclable things. 

people are uninformed and can't be arsed to get informed. not sure why they can't just do a bottles and cans only program to make easier for hte stupids to figure out... landfills are massive when you drive north on I-75 etc.. 

• Facepalm 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lol he's gonna go full African Warlord on the whole deal. Full get-up of: beret, aviators, golden AK-47, while for some reason wearing dress pants and tuxedo shoes + an army of child soldiers. 

That's the only way I'm going to respect this call for a state funded militia

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Audioblysk said:

lol he's gonna go full African Warlord on the whole deal. Full get-up of: beret, aviators, golden AK-47, while for some reason wearing dress pants and tuxedo shoes + an army of child soldiers. 

That's the only way I'm going to respect this call for a state funded militia

he could just be ahead of the curve. a bunch of right wing governors might follow his example.  

• Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Fucking pathetic.

Oh shit! My old home town! I haven't lived there in twenty years, but I grew up there (left in my early twenties) and can attest that there are many absolutely unashamed racists and confederate sympathizers there. In fact, when Trump announced his bid for presidency in the summer of 2015, I specifically thought of all the many bigots I went to school with or worked with (in the food service industry there, people don't keep their cards close to the vest, I found) and I despaired that Trump's rhetoric was going to resonate strongly with this folk. I've lived in many different places in the US since (mostly NE or MW), but I could see echoes of that contingent in all of these places, and I knew that even though the US made large progressive strides in the years leading up to 2015, those people were never going to change their minds, learn, or grow intellectually. They just kept their resentments in, and so I'm not at all terribly surprised (though I am saddened, nevertheless) to see this footage. 

Geez, I had many happy memories as a kid of that fucking town square they're showing here. I just took my partner there for Thanksgiving recently and we walked in that area. Incidentally, though, there is an old historic site just feet from that gazebo called the "Slave Market", which is what you'd think it was. There used to be many controversial demonstrations there back when I was a teenager, I recall. And the Native American population used to demonstrate in front of the statue of Pedro Menendez every year on Columbus Day, for obvious reasons. But you might be appalled to hear that there were many white people who would--again, with no shame at all--publicly disparage these demonstrators with intense racial epithets. 

In fact, there is a well-documented history of some severe racism in St. Augustine, which is so very unfortunate because it's a beautiful place, and there were some subpopulations interested in arts and intellectual pursuits. You just have to steer clear of the rednecks. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, apriorion said:

Oh shit! My old home town! I haven't lived there in twenty years, but I grew up there (left in my early twenties) and can attest that there are many absolutely unashamed racists and confederate sympathizers there. In fact, when Trump announced his bid for presidency in the summer of 2015, I specifically thought of all the many bigots I went to school with or worked with (in the food service industry there, people don't keep their cards close to the vest, I found) and I despaired that Trump's rhetoric was going to resonate strongly with this folk. I've lived in many different places in the US since (mostly NE or MW), but I could see echoes of that contingent in all of these places, and I knew that even though the US made large progressive strides in the years leading up to 2015, those people were never going to change their minds, learn, or grow intellectually. They just kept their resentments in, and so I'm not at all terribly surprised (though I am saddened, nevertheless) to see this footage. 

Geez, I had many happy memories as a kid of that fucking town square they're showing here. I just took my partner there for Thanksgiving recently and we walked in that area. Incidentally, though, there is an old historic site just feet from that gazebo called the "Slave Market", which is what you'd think it was. There used to be many controversial demonstrations there back when I was a teenager, I recall. And the Native American population used to demonstrate in front of the statue of Pedro Menendez every year on Columbus Day, for obvious reasons. But you might be appalled to hear that there were many white people who would--again, with no shame at all--publicly disparage these demonstrators with intense racial epithets. 

In fact, there is a well-documented history of some severe racism in St. Augustine, which is so very unfortunate because it's a beautiful place, and there were some subpopulations interested in arts and intellectual pursuits. You just have to steer clear of the rednecks. 

fellow floridian here. was born in jacksonville. still have family there. spent many weekends in st augustine.. visiting the fort, hanging out on the beach and going to osteens (spelling?) over the lion's head bridge which was amazing fried seafood. 

flagler college and that part of town is interesting.. but it's all typical north florida in so many ways. as a kid i was always fascinated by the school for the blind there.. the one Ray Charles went to. didn't know anything about it but someone would always point it out. i have a ton of good memories of ponte vedra beach. the concrete castle that guy built for his wife or whatever always raised an eyebrow. 

should add that yeah.. florida has its share of racists for sure.. rednecks galore. nascar, etc.  a friend i grew up with. his dad moved away at some point because too many people or something and later we found out he moved to way out middle of nowhere florida w/no neighbors etc.. and any time someone moved in within site he'd get all paranoid and start to think about moving further way from humanity. i recall he drank a 6 of budweiser every day.  when we were kids.. like maybe 8 or 9.. he didn't know what to be for halloween so his dad dressed him up as Al Jolson in full black face. we were kids and of course had no idea so he had ot explain who he was and why he was famous w/a hint of "maybe this is wrong" but we didn't know shit. it was weird but he sent his kid out on halloween like that. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Wow, some closet Floridians. It’s ok to admit it now, lol

honestly wouldn't trade growing up in miami in the 70s/80s and early 90s. was pretty awesome when it was still a backwater town too far south for anyone to give a fuck about. then the cocaine money happened and south beach and then by 95 i'd had enough... it was turning into a very different place then. but i still have a love/hate relationship w/it. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1