IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Computer controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP (Warp Records)

fumi

Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Instruments pt2 EP  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like This EP?

• Yes, having listened to it
    • No, having listened to it
    • Yes, having not actually listened to it yet
    • No, having not actually listened to it yet
    • I think the other Aphex Twin should come out of retirement and make music

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet it's interesting as fuck to make the music, your robot ensemble whoopin it up droppin some heat but it seems like a weird delivery of RDJ musical ideas.

I waited a week for it to appear on Qobuz and it finally did, allowing me to save...£1! Hoorah!

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt2-ep-aphex-twin/0801061937539

If you haven't got it and want the Flac / wav for (slightly) cheaper, go here. Gonna listen to it now...

I recant my negative comments because it's a big development from similar ramshackly drukQs tracks. Such a left turn from Syro though jeez.

I recant my negative comments because it's a big development from similar ramshackly drukQs tracks. Such a left turn from Syro though jeez.

My feeling was that those in between tracks were best sequenced by themselves, with the longer tracks in their own playlist. Same here really: if this EP was mingled with Syro tracks, I don't think it would work, but on their own release they're great.

This EP is great btw, good stuff.

I dont know whats more unsurprising - the utter mediocrity of this music or the 53 page thread on it over in the Aphex forum.

Cmon, even you guys who are musicians on these forums could better that EP.

It sounds like something an unknown artist would chuck up on Bandcamp for free. It's so bad, I'm beginning to wonder if he hasn't released it on purpose as some kind of piss-take or an experiment to see just how much his fans can take.

Looking at the 53 page thread, it seems like a success.

Aphex Fans: Feel free to hurl abuse as always.

The least surprising of all is that once again you've failed to criticize the music without taking a dig at its fans.

I dont know whats more unsurprising - the utter mediocrity of this music or the 53 page thread on it over in the Aphex forum.

It sounds like something an unknown artist would chuck up on Bandcamp for free. It's so bad, I'm beginning to wonder if he hasn't released it on purpose as some kind of piss-take or an experiment to see just how much his fans can take.

The least surprising of all is that once again you've failed to criticize the music without taking a dig at its fans.

Yeah, I think I really do hate the fans most of all. Basically because they just cannot take any criticism of their idol at all - no matter what he does. It doesn't help that for some of us, Aphex sucks these days but we're slammed down for our opinions because they don't fit in with the Watmm crowd (which is just an Aphex fan forum with other stuff bolted on).

As to the EP, well, if you listen to the sound of a toilet flushing closely enough, I guess it might sound strangely engrossing after a while. Of course I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

to quote the guardian review of the ep today http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/23/aphex-twin-computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt2-review

'then Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 is like the organic consciousness it was drawn from, its owner now tinkering with jigsaws in a retirement home'

'(the track titles continue Syro’s “Hello PC World tech support?” vibe)'

:catbed:

Yeah, I think I really do hate the fans most of all. Basically because they just cannot take any criticism of their idol at all - no matter what he does. It doesn't help that for some of us, Aphex sucks these days but we're slammed down for our opinions because they don't fit in with the Watmm crowd (which is just an Aphex fan forum with other stuff bolted on).

As to the EP, well, if you listen to the sound of a toilet flushing closely enough, I guess it might sound strangely engrossing after a while. Of course I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

So full of shit

So full of shit

See what I mean? They just cannot accept any criticism.

Go back to the Aphex forum, please.

to quote the guardian review of the ep today http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/23/aphex-twin-computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt2-review

'then Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 is like the organic consciousness it was drawn from, its owner now tinkering with jigsaws in a retirement home'

youch that interview is harsh :P

youch that interview is harsh :P

very dumb review but with lol moments, “Hello PC World tech support?” vibe is a great title/track name

I can accept you criticising the EP, even if I disagree. I can't accept you clumping fans together like they are the friggin borg or something

I'm not knocking you personally. It's just I've had such negative experiences with WATMM. Last year, when I said I thought Syro was a mediocre effort, people were were sending me personal messages calling me a c**t, wanker and everything else you can think of. It was as if I'd slandered their relatives.

No other artist forum seems so protective and narrow-sighted.

It's not that you criticize, it's that your criticisms actually rely on making ad hominem attacks on anyone who disagrees with you. Like, right there, in the same breath.

It's a matter of tone and delivery. It undermines your actual criticism. If you can't see that you really should just stop. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because it comes across as fairly deliberate trolling and a shitty attempt to be controversial.

I don't think syro or this EP are masterpieces, just in case you feel the need to go there.

And people who post rare pictures of RDJ's hair probably do have some problems.

It's not that you criticize, it's that your criticisms actually rely on making ad hominem attacks on anyone who disagrees with you. Like, right there, in the same breath.

It's a matter of tone and delivery. It undermines your actual criticism. If you can't see that you really should just stop. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because it comes across as fairly deliberate trolling and a shitty attempt to be controversial.

What are you talking about? I'm not trolling or trying to be controversial. I'm trying to post on a forum that is completely blinkered.

I don't attack people who don't agree with me. Jesus, if that was the case, I'd be on here all day.

It's a forum. Of course, everyone is going to have differing opinions.

So now, I'm trolling. In nearly ten years, that's a first. And I'm not even posting in the Aphex forum.

I've no idea what you're getting at. Let's just leave it there.

Fucking hell.

What are you talking about? I'm not trolling or trying to be controversial. I'm trying to post on a forum that is completely blinkered.

I don't attack people who don't agree with me. Jesus, if that was the case, I'd be on here all day.

It's a forum - free speech.

Fucking hell.

Care to link to your syro review? The one you posted on your website? Because that's the one that got people's tits up.

Fucking hell.

Care to link to your syro review? The one you posted on your website? Because that's the one that got people's tits up.

I can but what's the point? It's only going to upset people all over again. It's just one guy's opinion.

Fucking hell.

I can but what's the point? It's only going to upset people all over again. It's just one guy's opinion.
You don't have to, but the point was in that review you explicitly made fun of slavish aphex fans sitting around In their underwear feasting on their master's dregs as a way of supporting the validity of your criticism, which was, IIRC, a bit light on the actual particulars.

Which is why I posted what I did.

I don't, frankly, give a shit, but you seem baffled as to why you get people upset. That's why. Take it or leave it.

Forgive typos or spacing issues, I can't type for shit on my phone.

Edit: ps aphex sucks Ae rulz

Archived