IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

another mix,

In answer to the questions I keep getting asked.

ccai pt2 , part 1 is Drukqs, as that was the first thing I released that utilised computer controlled instruments, namely a modified Yamaha disklavier, 2nd gen and a couple of midi controlled solenoid based drum mechanisms I made just after I got the Disklavier.

I kept seeing them [disklaviers] in hotels, usually used to pipe muzak around the place and thought why doesn't anyone actually use one of these to compose music on and make beats etc!

A couple of times when i saw them in hotel lobbies, i sneaked up to the disklavier and set it to play ultra low pitch and very slow, funny watching peoples reactions, it was down every corridor etc

NOBODY i spoke to back in around 1999 inc. people at yamaha knew how to connect one of these to a computer and I had to take my computer into Yamaha to try it out to see how fast these things could go, no info on the net then either.

The first year I burned out countless solenoids in the thing and learnt how to repair them myself, the more recent gen ones like I used at the barbican have temperature cut outs on them thankfully, i’ve still fried a few though!

Like I told you!

I'm wondering if "part 1" might be the Disklavier tracks on Drukqs, yeah.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did someone else already post about this here?

https://soundcloud.com/officialyonge/diskhat-3-diskhat-1-diskhat-2

wow haven't heard it before, thx dude! i knew the loops were the same, but it actually fits pretty well! will add it as a bonus tracks in the end of EP just for fun. Is there any more tracks that fit together that i missed?

btw welcome to watmm! :catbed:

I am fairly certain every track belongs together as one piece of music.

CCAI Part 1 was the potential name I was suggesting as the title since it has come up in the thread, "Where is part 1?"

My questions is if all the tracks do fit together to make just one track is the title of the track CCAI Part 1?

another mix,

In answer to the questions I keep getting asked.

ccai pt2 , part 1 is Drukqs, as that was the first thing I released that utilised computer controlled instruments, namely a modified Yamaha disklavier, 2nd gen and a couple of midi controlled solenoid based drum mechanisms I made just after I got the Disklavier.

I kept seeing them [disklaviers] in hotels, usually used to pipe muzak around the place and thought why doesn't anyone actually use one of these to compose music on and make beats etc!

A couple of times when i saw them in hotel lobbies, i sneaked up to the disklavier and set it to play ultra low pitch and very slow, funny watching peoples reactions, it was down every corridor etc

NOBODY i spoke to back in around 1999 inc. people at yamaha knew how to connect one of these to a computer and I had to take my computer into Yamaha to try it out to see how fast these things could go, no info on the net then either.

The first year I burned out countless solenoids in the thing and learnt how to repair them myself, the more recent gen ones like I used at the barbican have temperature cut outs on them thankfully, i’ve still fried a few though!

Like I told you!

I'm wondering if "part 1" might be the Disklavier tracks on Drukqs, yeah.

This is kinda huge. To say basically this EP is Drukqs 2. Of course it's overshadowed by Soundcloud, but I think if this was promoted as 'Drukqs 2' people would be shitting themselves. Maybe in a sense Richard unhyped this.

Maybe in a sense Richard unhyped this.

He definitely underhyped it, I'd maybe even go as far as saying the Soundcloud dump is undermining the promotion for the release. Weird timing, anyway.

This is kinda huge. To say basically this EP is Drukqs 2. Of course it's overshadowed by Soundcloud, but I think if this was promoted as 'Drukqs 2' people would be shitting themselves. Maybe in a sense Richard unhyped this.

Bear in mind that only half of Drukqs was Disklavier/percussion nonsense. The rest is ultra-fast breakbeat fuckery, which is probably what most people associate the album with. I think CCAI Pt.2 is a far more appropriate title than Drukqs 2.

https://soundcloud.com/wheatpin_x/aphex-twin-computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt-2-45rpm-1

It seems like 45 rpm is the intended speed, it is really more of an aphex sound, those driving beats. It also begins to sound a little more like this:

:crazy:

About the 33 vs 45 rpm, I can't believe I hadn't tried listening to CCAI2 at 45 until now. Some of it (most of it) kind of just sounds *sped up* to me, but the first track or two and the barn dance track? They sound *great* at 45. Wow.

About the stems thing though. I have found the missing link I believe.

The diskprept 1 track has the same change up in the back end of diskhat ALL prepared. 1/3 of the way through.

The diskhat tracks that I have fused together combined with the fact that the diskprept tracks fitting together with some of the hat tracks and the audio track; tells me this is one long song. The really pretty piano 'it happened' part is the hardest one to figure out. As far as the two piano trill parts I believe piano un 1 goes at the opening and the shorter one disk aud 1 12 goes against a small section in the diskhat ALL prep track.

I am not sure about the exact placement for piano un 1 at the beginning, or the diskprept 1 placement at the end, but I can hear and see that they fit into those areas of the song. Honestly all of my placements could be off, but I know I am close.

To recap thats 12/13 recognized to fit together. 7/13 some what placed. 5/13 most likely placed.

Really would love some help trying to figure this out.

post-18788-0-37754000-1424877201_thumb.png

The diskprept 1 track has the same change up in the back end of diskhat ALL prepared. 1/3 of the way through.

The diskhat tracks that I have fused together combined with the fact that the diskprept tracks fitting together with some of the hat tracks and the audio track; tells me this is one long song. The really pretty piano 'it happened' part is the hardest one to figure out. As far as the two piano trill parts I believe piano un 1 goes at the opening and the shorter one disk aud 1 12 goes against a small section in the diskhat ALL prep track.

I am not sure about the exact placement for piano un 1 at the beginning, or the diskprept 1 placement at the end, but I can hear and see that they fit into those areas of the song. Honestly all of my placements could be off, but I know I am close.

To recap thats 12/13 recognized to fit together. 7/13 some what placed. 5/13 most likely placed.

can you upload a track so we have the basic idea of how it sounds together at this moment? Like, is it worth to continue hard work? I really didn't thought it could all be one track, sounds waay too different and unrealistic, but I will be very happy if you can prove me wrong ^^

i'm sure you'll have some medal or watmm statue if it's all true

Guest gorfman666

just on a whim i tried to put a couple sections together. my conclusion, mind you i only spent about 20 mins doing this, is that MAYBE a few of the tracks are meant to be layered up to create one track but not ALL of them. Imho, the piano track at the end is a standalone track. but some of these smaller ones do fit very snuggly and its hard to ignore the timing and how precise it is.

Bear in mind that only half of Drukqs was Disklavier/percussion nonsense. The rest is ultra-fast breakbeat fuckery, which is probably what most people associate the album with. I think CCAI Pt.2 is a far more appropriate title than Drukqs 2.

Yeah i suppose you are right, but at 45 it's much closer to that. Yeah it isn't quite as insane though. A more mature drukqs ;)

However it is really the same vibe.

https://soundcloud.com/wheatpin_x/aphex-twin-computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt-2-45rpm-1

It seems like 45 rpm is the intended speed, it is really more of an aphex sound, those driving beats. It also begins to sound a little more like this:

:crazy:

About the 33 vs 45 rpm, I can't believe I hadn't tried listening to CCAI2 at 45 until now. Some of it (most of it) kind of just sounds *sped up* to me, but the first track or two and the barn dance track? They sound *great* at 45. Wow.

snar2 sounds more natural at 45

I think the piano tunes also seem much more natural at 45, especially piano un10 it happened

that makes me think of a tangent, apparently the one thing that can't be notated on written music is time in the sense of precisely how fast or slow to play a song. There are some general notations but they still leave a lot of wiggle room for interpretation, and it can change the mood of a song. So things like renaissance music or anything pre-recording era, modern performances are approximate guesses.

Also it seems like an rdj thing to do, release something at a slowed speed and the few with vinyl get the intended release :P Obviously it's not the case, it says 33 or 45 on there, but a funny thought.

Bear in mind that only half of Drukqs was Disklavier/percussion nonsense. The rest is ultra-fast breakbeat fuckery, which is probably what most people associate the album with.

Yeah, one half still missing; Computer Sequenced Breakbeat Samples Pt. 2 coming up.

Ok. I am getting much closer now. There is definitely one massive track.

I know all the individual items in both halves connect within themselves. I know the second half attaches to the first, somewhere.

I am working out exact placement for each individual item in both halves first, then I will figure out where they connect together. I know they connect though because you can hear the change up in the back end of the diskhat ALL prepared track.

The ONLY odd man out is the piano it happened track. Still could fit in there somewhere but I am starting to think it is the ONLY stand alone stem. But, it could fit. We shall see.

For anyone interested in hearing the first section (even though that spit out is old and not totally accurate, but you can get the idea) I posted two options of them in the aphextwin subreddit. There are two threads about this topic there. A user named SALT1NES was the first person I noticed post something about any of the parts working together. That is where the original soundcloud clip I posted earlier in this thread comes from. SALT1NES soundcloud upload. Not sure what policy is here about posting reddit links. You can dig for it though in that sub. That is where they are posted if you just want to take a listen to what I had figured out as of last night.

OR. For a more updated version. You could just as easily re-build the photo image I am uploading here and listen to it that way. You just have to zoom in and match the starting points for the waveforms to figure out the exact placement but my photo should make it pretty simple. Well, relatively to how hard it has been for me anyway. ;)

This. Is. Fun.

Who wants to start working on the Drukqs tracks?

post-18788-0-18127500-1424898516_thumb.png

Archived