IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does it affect the sound if converted mp3 files in mp3 45 rpm files? or better directly rip from vinyl?

depends what program you use. i haven't found a good free one for speed change yet. audacity isn't terrible but it isn't great.

if you can get a good rip from a record player then do that

& with soundforge?

I think they all fit together as one long song. Somehow. I think if they do not fit together as one long song they are meant to fit together some other way. Multiple songs? Why would the pairs that fit FIT so well (like the syro tracks) by coincidence? Just seems highly unlikely.

it's clear from the soundcloud dump, if not before, that his writing practice involves getting some sounds/gear set up and then writing a bunch of songs which re-use a lot of the same sounds, melodies, themes, etc. also, as seen in the alt versions of the syro tracks, he must make a lot of alternate versions of each song (slower, faster, alt mixes etc)

so most likely these ccai tracks were all recorded at the same time, esp. since it would be so much work to set this stuff up and mic it all, and he made a lot of variations around the same theme rather than writing 13 completely unique songs. hence a lot of them are at the same tempo and have same/similar sounds etc. i doubt they were conceived with the idea that listeners would try to combine them later.

What's the point of making a CCAI mash-up when the tracks sound great as released/intended? Each to their own but seems like a bit of a waste of energy.

Also, that hybrid of the CIRCLONT tracks sounds fucking rubbish.

does it affect the sound if converted mp3 files in mp3 45 rpm files? or better directly rip from vinyl?

depends what program you use. i haven't found a good free one for speed change yet. audacity isn't terrible but it isn't great.

if you can get a good rip from a record player then do that

& with soundforge?

I did it in audacity and in soundforge. I converted mp3@320 in mp3@320 45 rpm and frankly, if we respect the options, the sound is good... No need to use for ripping vinyl 45 rpm...

audacity isn't terrible but it isn't great.

Not sure I follow. What's difference between speeding up the WAVs on a computer vs playing the vinyl at 45?

the only difference is the frequency used by reading the vinyl 33 rpm to 45 rpm. Moreover it may damage the vinyl if read her wrong speed...

source: Higher speed transfers

the only damage you will inflict to a record by playing a 33 at 45 is the same as you would by playing it regularly at 33, that article is talking about playing a 33 at 78 and then slowing it down in audacity just to make the ripping process faster. 78 isn't used anymore because it's simply too fast and actually does damage equipment.

the only difference is the frequency used by reading the vinyl 33 rpm to 45 rpm. Moreover it may damage the vinyl if read her wrong speed...

Yea, I don't have the vinyl. I bought the WAV files off Bleep and used Audacity's "change speed" tool with the 33 -> 45 RPM settings. I reckon this is equivalent to playing the EP at 45 on a deck but have now been led to believe there might be a better method to achieve this, and would like to know what that is. Cheers

Yea, I don't have the vinyl. I bought the WAV files off Bleep and used Audacity's "change speed" tool with the 33 -> 45 RPM settings. I reckon this is equivalent to playing the EP at 45 on a deck but have now been led to believe there might be a better method to achieve this, and would like to know what that is. Cheers

nah, doing it like that is exactly the same as playing the record faster. you're good.

nah, doing it like that is exactly the same as playing the record faster. you're good.

Thank you.

Transcoding is probably the biggest potential danger here.

24 bit wav -> 24 bit wav. no danger.

I'm not sure that it is, if you set your turntable to 45 the RIAA equalization in the preamp will be applied to the sped up signal whereas if you play it at 33 and then speed it up, you're speeding up a correctly equalized copy (see the linked page which puts this a lot clearer than I just did).

I'm not sure that it is, if you set your turntable to 45 the RIAA equalization in the preamp will be applied to the sped up signal whereas if you play it at 33 and then speed it up, you're speeding up a correctly equalized copy (see the linked page which puts this a lot clearer than I just did).

Ah well. No definitive answer so I guess the only way to find out is to buy a copy of the record and see if it sounds any different than my homemade pitched up version. Presumably, the difference is fairly negligible anyway.

audacity isn't terrible but it isn't great.

Not sure I follow. What's difference between speeding up the WAVs on a computer vs playing the vinyl at 45?

i meant that audacity isn't as good as some other programs at speed changes. i use it anyway because i havent found a better, free alternative, but i do notice kind of jagged, artificial sounds in the songs i speed or slow with it.

Guest Nebuchadnezzar

Speaking of speed: When I play CCAI pt2 on my desktop, it speeds the cooling fans up to full blast at some points, then back to normal at others. This has never happened before and I don't know what the deal is.

Speaking of speed: When I play CCAI pt2 on my desktop, it speeds the cooling fans up to full blast at some points, then back to normal at others. This has never happened before and I don't know what the deal is.

Richards mixtape too hot for your pc

Archived