IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

Listened to this album for the first time at 45rpm and I must admit I like it more than at 33rpm, especially side A.

At 45 it just sounds more Aphex Twin, I find the faster tempo to be very nice with the sounds...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just listening to this EP for the first time. Beautifully recorded and consummately textural, harmonics bursting forth into dissonant bloom. It would be nice to hear longer versions of some of these tracks though.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to this album for the first time at 45rpm and I must admit I like it more than at 33rpm, especially side A.

At 45 it just sounds more Aphex Twin, I find the faster tempo to be very nice with the sounds...

I wonder if rdj prefers the 33rpm or 45 rpm of CCAI2? Anyone know if he has stated this somewhere already?

I agree it sounds more 'aphex' at 45, the beats go from laconic to very catchy. One thing I noticed is at the end of track 1/diskhat ALL there seems to be a cough recorded right around where those heavy piano bass notes comes down and it sounds pretty natural at 45, at 33 it's harder to distinguish though it's pretty hard to hear at 45 too. Then at the end of snar2/track 2 there is a clear dog bark or 2 and for that one it's a little more subjective, obviously 33 is much lower pitched and it could be the natural recording, but at 45 it's a little more crisp and natural sounding, so it leads me to think 45 is how it was recorded. Also I'd like to imagine for something as straightforward as a snare drum roll Rich would want to put the machine through it's paces a little bit and not just do a slow/medium tempo drum roll.

Guest bitroast

i think it's pretty obvious the record plays at 33, given the acoustic nature of the recordings ...

there's absolutely nothing to say aphecks twins entire back catalogue can't be played at 'wrong' speeds and still be enjoyed.

playing the acoustic instruments pt2 ep at 45 just sounds like .. listening to really sped up benny hill music to me :S something about the acoustic instruments played at fast speed sounds more unnatural than hearing synths and the like played at wrong speeds. whatever. all preference in the end.

i think it's pretty obvious the record plays at 33, given the acoustic nature of the recordings ...

there's absolutely nothing to say aphecks twins entire back catalogue can't be played at 'wrong' speeds and still be enjoyed.

playing the acoustic instruments pt2 ep at 45 just sounds like .. listening to really sped up benny hill music to me :S something about the acoustic instruments played at fast speed sounds more unnatural than hearing synths and the like played at wrong speeds. whatever. all preference in the end.

This.

You can pretty much take any track from Richard's back catalogue, speed it up/slow it down, and it'd still sound pretty good, but CCAI @ 45 just sounds corny. Some tracks work a bit better than others, but for the most part that 'Benny Hill' description is pretty accurate.

don't recommend for shroom session. that EP has an overall dark, somber mood.

I like that for zooms sometimes though!

Lots of the darker autechre really hits the spot when we do shrooms too.

I HAVE heard the first track though (couldn't help myself). Maybe I'll just listen to it this weekend and save the shrooms for another time. =P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

didn't Warp sign some kind of clockwork robot to make tunes for them back years ago? what happened to that?

Didn't it just release a bunch of modular tracks on Soundcloud? :cisfor:

didn't Warp sign some kind of clockwork robot to make tunes for them back years ago? what happened to that?

Didn't it just release a bunch of modular tracks on Soundcloud? :cisfor:

lolololol

• 2 weeks later...

3rd listen in as many hours. This baby's a grower. Really liking the bollox off it, its hard to explain. It's not samples, it instruments playing. Without sounding like a hipster tool, Im feeling the acoustics in the air or something, i dunno. Reckon AFX will perfect the sound in the next decade.

• 1 month later...

i dunno. Reckon AFX will perfect the sound in the next decade.

would be really crazy if he tried to do an circlon arrangement like this track but with computer controlled acoustic instruments

In theory I don't see why he couldn't

Yeah I kinda wish there was one balls-to-the-wall jungle track to close the EP. Don't tell me Rich hasn't already pushed these things to the limit with mental breakbeats, we already know the mechanisms are capable of super fast snare rolls (snar2 for reference)

(listening to the EP at 45rpm doesn't count cos it sounds like Benny fucking Hill)

i dunno. Reckon AFX will perfect the sound in the next decade.

would be really crazy if he tried to do an circlon arrangement like this track but with computer controlled acoustic instruments

https://vimeo.com/116367289 In theory I don't see why he couldn't

Well, I like the idea of what that would sound like, but isn't RDJ kind of obsessed with noise gating the notes on each of the parts on those tracks?

Acoustic things seem to need more space and time for the notes to air out, don't think I've ever heard any purely acoustic tracks at a breakneck pace, except with guitars and drumsets. I would imagine there would be clashing frequencies all over the place in the decays of the notes

any examples contradicting that would be awesome, would love to be wrong here

Archived