IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest capitan mission

hi, i was out of the forums for long months. I really like this album, CCAI2 is growing on me. Later on i will try to read al the thread, so maybe something of this was noted or asked, but anyway, is mi review.
-First, its part 2 because Drukqs is 1, that's my interpretation.
-Musically I find it closer to Analords than Syro, taking away instrumentation obviously
-The album seems half-finished, abruptly ended tracks, and some "unwanted?" distortions in sound.
I really like it, the compositions in Analord are really good and this is an advancement in that musical direction. Its darker than Syro, less funky, more mental.
Richard mentioned some of this in some interview? I could be wrong in everything, but a lot of people note this"half finished" aura.

this album is great because it's really unique in Richard's discography, sort of Aphex Twin unplugged (yeah it's part 2, but this is a completely acoustic album)

one thing I would say that I mentioned earlier in this thread is you gotta play it at 45 rpm at least once, everything tightens up really nicely and the tracks get very catchy and funky, to me sounding much more resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard on working with robots:

its REALLY difficult controlling the robots, It wasnt possible to make super detailed music or fast tempos as they are too unstable and you cant loop things around for too long otherwise they will just break.

There are lots of things you have to sort out that you dont have to think about working with samples or synths. Like every solenoid has a different latency, I have a special program I use to calibrate all the solenoids, which i then save to 1 of 7 program changes, so a completely different calibration can be called up on the fly.

Each solenoid has to be calibrated and corrected for timing errors which change all the time as well.Also if you change the velocity of a hit [like a disklavier] it will affect the timing, harder means the event will happen sooner, so if you play in realtime a piano piece, you cant just move a note or change the velocity without fucking up the timing,Ive learned all kinds of workarounds for all these problems and ive got them all to a pretty going point now but its not as easy as you might think.

By far the hardest thing is positioning whatever you want hit EXACTLY in the right place, say you mount a metal plate underneath 8 solenoids, the total travel distance of each solenoid might only be 80mm and if the plate is not positioned absolutely exacly or securely it wont work.

you could spend 1 day programming a piece and then one object moves 3mm and the whole feel and timing of the piece will be fucked..its happened countless times. So ive had to learn about how to mount objects in space extremely accurately and securely using bolts, clamps, dampners etc, its a labour of love.

... you don't want everything dead on, that is actually a really enjoyable part for me adjusting, each magnets timing to contruct an overall groove

those kendrian ones look promising, might try a couple, I think I mentioned it in the noyzelab fing but the first solenoid i rigged up was a big thing for hitting a kik drum, around 98 sorta time, it shot the kickdrum across the room, the second time, i adjusted it the wrong way and it punched a whole straight through the drum!

a few ive got now from God are almost that powerful so you have to be carfeful and use the calibration programs to set min-max power levels as it would be way to easy to hit a maximu midi velocity of 127 by mistake and twat something really badly.

Richard on working with robots:

its REALLY difficult controlling the robots, It wasnt possible to make super detailed music or fast tempos as they are too unstable and you cant loop things around for too long otherwise they will just break.

There are lots of things you have to sort out that you dont have to think about working with samples or synths. Like every solenoid has a different latency, I have a special program I use to calibrate all the solenoids, which i then save to 1 of 7 program changes, so a completely different calibration can be called up on the fly.

Each solenoid has to be calibrated and corrected for timing errors which change all the time as well.Also if you change the velocity of a hit [like a disklavier] it will affect the timing, harder means the event will happen sooner, so if you play in realtime a piano piece, you cant just move a note or change the velocity without fucking up the timing,Ive learned all kinds of workarounds for all these problems and ive got them all to a pretty going point now but its not as easy as you might think.

By far the hardest thing is positioning whatever you want hit EXACTLY in the right place, say you mount a metal plate underneath 8 solenoids, the total travel distance of each solenoid might only be 80mm and if the plate is not positioned absolutely exacly or securely it wont work.

you could spend 1 day programming a piece and then one object moves 3mm and the whole feel and timing of the piece will be fucked..its happened countless times. So ive had to learn about how to mount objects in space extremely accurately and securely using bolts, clamps, dampners etc, its a labour of love.

... you don't want everything dead on, that is actually a really enjoyable part for me adjusting, each magnets timing to contruct an overall groove

those kendrian ones look promising, might try a couple, I think I mentioned it in the noyzelab fing but the first solenoid i rigged up was a big thing for hitting a kik drum, around 98 sorta time, it shot the kickdrum across the room, the second time, i adjusted it the wrong way and it punched a whole straight through the drum!

a few ive got now from God are almost that powerful so you have to be carfeful and use the calibration programs to set min-max power levels as it would be way to easy to hit a maximu midi velocity of 127 by mistake and twat something really badly.

/buys richard a drummer, percussionist and a rhythm section that can read notation, so he can make the move to fully fledged composer of live music

those bots'll get better eventually though, actually i've seen some pretty awesome stuff out there already.

Guest capitan mission

Wow, that is a really candid look into his process working with the robots. Where'd that come from?

That! Wheres the interview?

Good shit. That would all be pretty much be need-to-know information, or at least time saving information for anyone who tried to pursue something like this on their own.

Makes the Pierre Bastien or Moondog ways of doing this sound like way more fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived