IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

video

James Ferraro's track surreally fits the montage (it's Plastiglomerate & Co from Human Story 3, slightly edited)

I'm confused. I've only just heard James Ferraro's stuff now, Am I missing something? It sounds like a complete OPN ripoff. Or did OPN rip Ferraro?

The fact that you know 0pn and never heard of Ferraro makes you sort of a neophyte in terms of this genre (vapourwave etc)

I see great memes in your future.

Eh... it's not the most exquisite phrasing i admit dat, but i don't get what you're getting at at all

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goddamn I thought this was extremely poor. It played like a disjointed mixtape of "badass" GITS stuff, with nothing at all for anyone unfamiliar with the source material to care about in it.

Worse than Robocop 2014 imo.

What's the thing with Asian actress? Motoko doesn't look asian in the anime version, i mean her most striking aspect is arguably the psychotic eyes, wide as alien's.

I personally would be disappointed with asian lead actress, in fact (not that i look forward to seeing the film anyway).

yeah it's seems likely it would have sold fewer tickets with an unknown asian lead.

That's what I say, name a recognizable Asian actress in her mid 20s to mid 30s who can open a Hollywood movie in the Western hemisphere on the weekend box office.  Jamie Cheung is one of the only girls I can think of, and she's not a big star, I mean she came from The Real World on MTV, lol

I liked this movie, and it's a damn shame Lakeshore Records cancelled the release of Mansell's soundtrack.  10 years from now, Mondo will release it on vinyl, like The Fountain.

Goddamn I thought this was extremely poor. It played like a disjointed mixtape of "badass" GITS stuff, with nothing at all for anyone unfamiliar with the source material to care about in it.

Worse than Robocop 2014 imo.

d a y u m 

Warning: rant inside.

Jesus Christ, just how awful this movie is. I got bored half way through. And I don't get bored easily. When the woman who makes the tea says "...The way you look at me...", cut to Scarlet with her signature dumb frown, I just burst into laugh. My god. Sorry folks, she's a robot IRL even though she was supposed to play a robot with emotions. I liked her in Lost in Translation, but this is just horrible. Hollywood man. Are bad scripts intentional or people just became unable to write a story that ties things together? This feels like an episode taken out of some shallow series. And they had SO MUCH material from the original. I had to grab a beer after this just to forget the miserable hour and a half of my time I lost watching this. Seriously I will not watch a single blockbuster anymore. This is just like Knight Rider in the future. They should have brought in Hasselhoff to play Batou. That would at least make it somewhat funny.

• 1 month later...

the script is shit. the whole idea of what the world they create is bullshit. it's a pale pale comparison to the anime.  it's tired as fuck.  "the robot figuring out its purpose" is just fucking lame.  they had so much to work with and they came up w/this basic boooooooring shit action movie tropes and syfy expectations. 

and scarlet johansan is even more wrong for this part than i'd imagined.  she looks ridiculous walking around w/her head tilted forward and arms hanging by her side. her face lacks the depth and expression of the cartoon version.  

visually it's pretty great at times but most of those scenes are direct from the anime translations. 

jeez.. what a fucking waste. they'd have been better off doing a shot for shot live action version of the movie.  but jeez... johansan is just total shit as the major. 

Perhaps it would have a chance to be alright if they didn't copy-paste all the memorable scenes and artefacts in a different context. Everyone mentioned it and i still wasn't expecting such a blunt re-use, like people understated it. I can hardly imagine that not killing the movie for anyone familiar with both anime films.

This was a weird movie, hard to put my finger on anything that was particularly wrong with it (aside from a few bits of really clunky dialog here and there). It looked wonderful, the plot was fairly straightforward but wasn't all that bad (I wasn't expecting the complex plots and philosophical musings of the show, which probably wouldn't work in a standalone movie anyway), acting wasn't great, wasn't terrible either, though Johansson could have done a better. The whole was less than the sum of its parts though, there was just something fundamentally dull about it (I found the original pretty dull as well though, I'm more of a fan of SAC). I was expecting it to be a lot worse though, wouldn't mind seeing them have another go with a sequel, just get a better director on board.

This was a weird movie, hard to put my finger on anything that was particularly wrong with it (aside from a few bits of really clunky dialog here and there). It looked wonderful, the plot was fairly straightforward but wasn't all that bad (I wasn't expecting the complex plots and philosophical musings of the show, which probably wouldn't work in a standalone movie anyway), acting wasn't great, wasn't terrible either, though Johansson could have done a better. The whole was less than the sum of its parts though, there was just something fundamentally dull about it (I found the original pretty dull as well though, I'm more of a fan of SAC). I was expecting it to be a lot worse though, wouldn't mind seeing them have another go with a sequel, just get a better director on board.

i can put my finger on what's wrong with it... scarjo

finger putonit. there you go. 

also, wtf were they even thinking w/this script and plot.  it's fucking boring.  tired fucking tropes.. tired plot mechanics and plot devices.. ugh.. the whole fucking thing... it's a shit show. looks great.. if they edited it down to 45 minutes and got rid of all the dialog it might make a nice back drop on tv in the basement while i edit kick drums and shitty loops from jam sessions for music that no one cares about. 

it's a let down even expecting a let down. it's confused.  michael pitt is a wasted resource in this.. could've been such a great thing.. 

Finally one of those rumored films became real and was released...  And as usual, it was just okay or shit.  Yay.  I guess we'll all be seeing each other in the "Leonardo DiCaprio to headline 'Akira' live action movie" thread.  See you then!

Archived