IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

I loved her voice in the intro to SAC. It was a track that I knew for all intents and purposes was pretty cheesy, but I couldn't help but enjoy it anyway.

http://youtu.be/EIVgSuuUTwQ

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

http://screenrant.com/scarlett-johansson-ghost-shell-live-action-movie/

The Ghost in the Shell live-action movie appears to be moving forward at last, after years of being stuck in development limbo. Scarlett Johansson was reportedly being eyed to lead the film a few months ago, after the powers that be behind the project – including DreamWorks head Steven Spielberg – were said to have considered Margot Robbie (who’s since reached a deal to play Harley Quinn in the DC comic book movie Suicide Squad in 2016)… And now, it looks like Johansson’s a lock.

Well there you go.

On another note, I feel lucky to not be an anime fan, or I might be really upset right now.

I can kind of forgive the Scarlett Johansson thing if the story is good, but with a director who's highest rated movie is 48% on rotten tomatoes (haven't seen anything by him so it's all I have to go by) and a writer who wrote a hip hop film...

Yeah I'm avoiding this one. It's going to be SOOOO bad. Would love to be wrong though.

It would be nice if at minimum someone like the wachowski siblings came in, or someone with a heavy philosophical slant in their stuff. I at least want a decent movie.

• 5 months later...

You know, I'm more conflicted on this than I expected.

I'm disappointed that anime isn't appreciated more outside hardcore Pocky-nibbling weeaboo culture, and it would've been great to do another full-length GitS. But Ghost in the Shell was from the golden age of anime, and although I like some of the more recent stuff, pretty much all of it now has this squeaky clean, CGI-heavy aesthetic that doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as the gauzy, organic, hand-painted stuff. I did like the Stand Alone Complex series tho, which definitely falls into the former category.

As far as ScarJo, yeah she's fine as hell, but she was pretty lame in the Marvel movies. But so was everyone else. I didn't watch Under the Skin or Lucy so I can't attest to those. It's sad and frustrating that Hollywood whitewashes everything they touch, but I can't think of one Japanese/Japanese-American actress that would fit the Kusanagi role. The only Japanese actresses I'm aware of do pretty stereotypically feminine, submissive roles. Maybe this is a chicken-egg situation, both in the case of Japanese cinema's portrayal of women and in Hollywood's homogenization of everything they do. I'm starting to think they made the best casting choice they could for this project.

And that picture is pretty cool, actually.

2AoJBy1.png

EDIT: Seriously, though. I really doubt that this movie will be any good, sweepstakes made a fantastic point about anime these days and that applies to 99% of Hollywood films these days as well.

It's sad and frustrating that Hollywood whitewashes everything they touch, but I can't think of one Japanese/Japanese-American actress that would fit the Kusanagi role.

The major doesn't look particularly Japanese in any of the various versions, aside from Arise. She is a cyborg after all, not surprising that she's more generic-human looking, than any obviously identifiable race. Still, I'm guessing they'll be changing her name and moving the whole story to the US as well.

Takeshi Kitano is playing Aramaki, which is kind of cool (he's great) but also not that cool (he's not very Aramaki-like). With him cast they're presumably keeping the story at least somewhat in line with the original geographical setup, he doesn't speak much english AFAIK.

Why did they have to do this, I'm so upset. They took something I've enjoyed since I was a kid and took a big dump On It. I knew Rupert Sanders would be an awful director for this film, his stuff is appalling. Let's just hope they don't get their grubby hands on Neon Genesis too. Cunningham would have been such a better choice, I know he was lined up to do Neuromancer but that fell through. William Gibson even stated he would not let a film version be made unless Cunningham was Involved.

I only wish Masamune Shirow had shown the same restraint, but hey It's his vision and I suppose he sold the rights knowing full well what may happen.

Archived