IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's upsetting because.. if this is a bad movie, we definitely won't see another attempt at making a live action gits anything for at least another decade.

Then again with animation you can do more... hmm

Yeah for sure, but so is GITS and Akira (based on mangas).

I trust these US movies will be massive cock ups though, no chance in hell they're going to be good.

i honestly don't get why this is a problem. you have a movie with a large budget based on a property most people aren't familiar with. you need to market the movie and you do that around actors people in the united states recognize. that's why movie stars like johansson exist, not for their acting ability, but to get financing. sorry, if you want an all japanese cast, your hollywood production is no longer a thing, especially on a risky cyberpunk property when the last couple of cyberpunk movies bombed horribly and the most notable one of all (blade runner) was a dud at the box office. nothing about ghost in the shell is inherently "japanese". unlike akira, which would literally make no sense at all if they change the setting or character's ethnicity, gits is basically just a science fiction story dealing with philosophical questions about existence, reality and humanity. this is, again, outrage culture reacting to something that should be fucking common sense. 

i honestly don't get why this is a problem. you have a movie with a large budget based on a property most people aren't familiar with. you need to market the movie and you do that around actors people in the united states recognize. that's why movie stars like johansson exist, not for their acting ability, but to get financing. sorry, if you want an all japanese cast, your hollywood production is no longer a thing, especially on a risky cyberpunk property when the last couple of cyberpunk movies bombed horribly and the most notable one of all (blade runner) was a dud at the box office. nothing about ghost in the shell is inherently "japanese". unlike akira, which would literally make no sense at all if they change the setting or character's ethnicity, gits is basically just a science fiction story dealing with philosophical questions about existence, reality and humanity. this is, again, outrage culture reacting to something that should be fucking common sense. 

it's not about japanese cast. in the manga and the movies etc many of the characters are caucasian in appearance or only partly japanese features... it's just that she's a shit choice for the part.  it's typical hollywood though.. you're right.. financing etc.. blah blah.. but too often there's a chance to make something good or at the very least.. interesting.. and they just don't know fuck about shit and squeeze out a turd.. not everyone can be the coen brothers

is she shit casting? the original anime is quite shit tbh. it's mostly static shots of talking heads reciting tedious philosophy that kind of vaguely explores themes pertaining to artificial intelligence and "what it means to be human". johansson was pretty good in under the skin, as an alien which was essentially an android. i'm sure she can play this character to the extent it needs to be played. to the extent the movie needs to exist at all, which it doesn't. hollywood isn't literally mulholland drive btw, there are so many moving parts involved in movies getting financed and shot that it's miraculous any are watchable at all.

is she shit casting?

yes. she is.  and her voice is all wrong. but it always is. 

obviously opinions vary regarding the anime. 

regarding mulhullond drive. .yes of course.. it's not that. but i'm having  a little fun with it. not being so serious except about scarjo being wrong for the part. deadly serious about that. i'm going to bring it up at the next meeting. 

How's Alita: Battle Angel coming along? ...regarding live-action manga, i do like those Gantz thingies..

Cameron is so goddamned busy with trying to make Avatar into Star Wars I doubt this will ever see the light of day.

Good thing too - that title stinks of 90's "americanized" anime (anime created to appeal to a Western audience).

Archived