IGNORED

X-Files 2016

Rubin Farr

Tell me more about how Islam is a race :catrecline: Don't see how it was exploitation, there is real evil in this world. We aren't allow to point this out now because racism?

I think it's fucked up that so often muslim characters in tv or film end up being in the story only to function as terrorists. It perpetuates the feeling a lot of people have right now of fear and distrust toward middle eastern people. I don't care if you call it racist or not, either way it's lazy writing to rely on such a predictable trope.

And it wouldn't bother me as much if the episode had actually been any good.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave up on even finishing this season. It felt like they're just making more episodes of the 90s show (same tone/quality), and not in a good way. The bar for television has been raised so much since X-Files went off the air that it simply doesn't hold up anymore. Put it out of its misery and don't renew it again.

Nah. They just have to axe the horrible writers (chris carter). With good writers there's still plenty potential in this franchise.

Enjoyed the third episode, btw. First two were crap. First being an extremely vile piece of crap. ( cowritten by kanye west?) Haven't seen beyond three.

I enjoyed a couple of the other episodes but this one made me realize how shit the whole season has been. It's so clumsy and awkward with everything it tries to do. Like in the previous ep, bouncing back and forth between nasty, campy trash man scenes and Scully's misplaced dramatic scenes with her dying mother. It's inconsistent and tone-deaf. Episode 3 was the only decent one, since they stuck to comedy there (and had some great guest stars).

there was a macabre point(?) in that juxtaposition: Scully's mum's organs were to be recycled immediately.

i couldn't finish that last episode. i couldn't stand the banter between mulder and agent einstein. i also couldn't stand einstein and that other kid/agent. the next (and hopefully) last episode will also be written by chris carter.

0/5

man, you didn't even get to the way it wrapped up, it was like they grabbed a ABC Family standby direct to edit it in post-production with that goddamn fucking Lumineers song

I feel like the weird trip scene with Mulder hit a little too close to home to Duchovny's real life with the cowboy hat's, butts and dominatrix stuff

literally the only reason I don't completely regret watching the episode

Tell me more about how Islam is a race :catrecline: Don't see how it was exploitation, there is real evil in this world. We aren't allow to point this out now because racism?

I think it's fucked up that so often muslim characters in tv or film end up being in the story only to function as terrorists. It perpetuates the feeling a lot of people have right now of fear and distrust toward middle eastern people. I don't care if you call it racist or not, either way it's lazy writing to rely on such a predictable trope.

And it wouldn't bother me as much if the episode had actually been any good.

yeah i mean I get the angle the episode was going for but it just failed in execution. I felt like I was watching a half-assed episode of Law and Order or NCIS circa 2002.

also I know it's impossible to capture what Texas looks like when shooting in Vancover with a crew that has likely never visited the state but good god was it overboard with the cowboy hats. you barely see people wear those even in the rural parts of the state. the only place that seemed believable was the dancehall.

I always wonder how much other "settings" are mangled when it comes to TV portrayal

yeah, it was a shit episode, but nothing racist or bigoted about it. the episode had some terrorist muslims, a non terrorist mum (the good muslim), plus it also had loads of token bigots for us to hate, showing that we're not supposed to treat the terrorists as representative (like scully said), it even started off creating empathy with the terrorist because he was getting abuse from some redneck.

the most authentic character was the bitchy nurse, her rant was grade A right-wing internet commentator ignorance. it was also weird to make the art gallery seem so pretentious, the real art exhibit incident it was based off was literally tacky people who listen to talk radio going to an event held at a convention center that was rented out.

Just watched the lizard man episode.

Best bit was Scullys cleavage.

Badly edited, poor dialogue, lolworthy lizard suit... But hey I managed to watch the whole lot!

unfortunately it's one of the better episodes

just watched the 6th / season finale

what a bummer - my wife and I were like "man this is disappointing" after kind of treading through it for the first 2/3rds of the episode

I actually have a warped perspective on the show: never watched it when I was a kid despite wanting to and loving UFOs and paranormal stuff and I've only earnestly watched through season 3 on netflix before this reboot. so my question is, did the last few seasons suck as much as this one?

Just watched the lizard man episode.

Best bit was Scullys cleavage.

Badly edited, poor dialogue, lolworthy lizard suit... But hey I managed to watch the whole lot!

unfortunately it's one of the better episodes

just watched the 6th / season finale

what a bummer - my wife and I were like "man this is disappointing" after kind of treading through it for the first 2/3rds of the episode

I actually have a warped perspective on the show: never watched it when I was a kid despite wanting to and loving UFOs and paranormal stuff and I've only earnestly watched through season 3 on netflix before this reboot. so my question is, did the last few seasons suck as much as this one?

Maybe I'm looking back with rose colored glasses here, since I did watch when I was in elementary and middle school, but I don't think the original run ever sank this low. It could be dull at times but, aside from a few eps in the final season, I don't remembered actively disliking it the way I do these episodes. If this were a new series, I'd have quit midway through episode one.

edit: I feel like my only take away from this revival is that it goes a long way toward solidifying Fringe as the better show. wtf.

lol, what an unmitigated disaster. The whole mytharc thing should have been like 6-10 episodes, not this hurried and muddled 90 minute mess. This whole X-files revival thing just comes off as a complete mess without any idea on what they even tried to achieve. Were the the new agents introduced supposed to be the new Mulder and Scully for X-Files: The Next Generation. Did a piss poor attempt to set them up properly. The whole conspiracy arc lost the plot after season 6 and now it's just a mishmash of every tinfoil hat conspiracy theory out there, anti-vax and chemtrails...oh my. Chris Carter, time to retire and live of the royalties, pls.

RIP X-files. Best part of, (hopefully this series finale), was the extended opening credits. And if I'm honest, the opening credits were the best part of any of these 6 episodes. Fucking sad.

So the cigarette smoking man wanted to just wipe out the majority of the human population because we suck at humanity. Beyond being a terribly contrived sci-fi plot we've seen a hundred times, who the fuck was going to clean up all the dead bodies, move all the cars, feed all the dogs & cats, cut all the unkempt lawns, and produce all the goods the chosen few would surely still need? Seriously poor decision making. The earth would stink like a sweaty asshole.

the last two episodes just felt and looked so cheap - like a mediocre tv drama or box office bomb

It really did remind me at times of After Effects/video editing tutorials that came with educational manuals for the software. Only with a script attached to it.

And to your other question if the show ever reached the low it did with the 6 ep mini run? I'd say no if my memory serves. Even when Scully & Mulder were replaced, it still felt like a proper show. Not like the 6 episode steamer we just saw exit Chris Carters asshole.

I thought the Lone Gunmen were supposed to show up

they did. they were in mulders placebo shroom trip @ a table in the bar. that was all.

Somebody should stop Carter from writing episodes. He can be the ideas man, but get someone competent to write it so it become more palatable.

personally i don't even see a reason to have any more x-files. we have 2 movies and 10 seasons now. isn't that enough? and it's not like we're dying for television shows. there was even fringe which was basically x-files with a different title and characters and equally as medicore

anyone fan who says they'll stop watching the new ones is probably lying. it's like the game of thrones, people either love it or love to hate it... though i suppose game of thrones is a better show nowadays

I found it kind of funny that the examples of diseases like measles, mumps and others were caused by a vaccine with the spartan virus way back, but at the same time, we now in reality have a ton of people refusing to vaccinate their kids out of sheer stupidity, and herd immunity will lower over time if it continues. They also talk about how "people we depend on the most like the police and health care workers" will get the first hit. Why is there always these things in american shows, it seems so matrix-y. And the comment from the cigarette smoking man about how "the people caused .. global warming .. etc, I didn't do that". I thought at first it was reckless to bring in this vaccine hysteria because some people may actually use it to refuse vaccination (or at least it may have an effect on some people, like media is powerful), but then hey turned it around by the end, well sort of. It seemed also like a grab bag of conspiracy theories, and the ending was super frustrating especially considering there is no next season planned

I thought the Lone Gunmen were supposed to show up

they did. they were in mulders placebo shroom trip @ a table in the bar. that was all.

I saw that, but the BTS special showed them looking like they would actually appear. Maybe one or more of them is dead by this point.

Archived