IGNORED

X-Files 2016

Rubin Farr

I thought the 3rd one was cute. Her boobs looked great! Good on her for that. Made my brain say to my junk "get ready".... :emotawesomepm9:

I enjoyed the episode, but I wasn't ever a big watcher of the original series. I liked the idea of the monster who became a human, that would be a total drag. Monsters may look scary, but at least they aren't just part of a system of slavery with extra steps.

When are they gonna bring back Ryan Seacrest as the Alex Jones dude? I kinda dug that; so much conspiracy, so little time.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was great, Flight of the Concords guy is hilarious. Liked the previous episode as well, hopefully it won't go back to sucking for the final mythos episode.

I remember watching the X-Files back in the 90s. The world was different then: the internet hadn't really got going, you couldn't instantly google something and read a well researched wikipedia page on it. There was more mystery in the world and so the way the series danced around various conspiracy theories really got people interested. It was edgy. It felt like you were receiving secret messages* from the showmakers.

Trouble is, its very different now. The whole X-Files shtick can be summed up in what is now a very well known meme: "Wake up Sheeple!". Telling the sheeple to wake up was refreshing in the 90s but is really tired now. The wikipedia page on the Roswell incident gives me both sides of the story in the way that stoned people from the 90s going on at me about it never would.

I haven't seen the new series, but how are they dealing with this aspect?

* edit: ok by secret messages I don't mean literally the plot, like 'an evil cabal has a virus given to them by aliens and something to do with bees and its going to turn everyone into monsterthings' but a very strong undertone of 'evil cabals exist and are up to evil stuff'

The last episode started off with Mulder complaining because he'd wasted his life investigating shit that had mostly been debunked or shown to have been caused by natural phenomenon, but by the end of the episode his faith in the mystery of the universe had been restored.

I never liked the X-Files though because I felt like I was receiving secret messages though, I've always known the paranormal conspiracy thing was nonsense, it was just enjoyable fiction to me.

I remember Richard Dawkins once complained that the X-Files was responsible for making people dumber, maybe that was true for some people, some people actually thought the show had something of note to say about the real world, maybe the 'stoned people from the 90s' you speak of. I never really bought Dawkins argument though, the X-Files just appeals to different types of people for different reasons, if you believe in silly nonsense to begin with you might have your beliefs reinforced at worst, but I can't imagine the show converting a rationalist into an irrationalist.

When are they gonna bring back Ryan Seacrest as the Alex Jones dude? I kinda dug that; so much conspiracy, so little time.

That was Joel McHale, he did a show on E! called the Soup that spoofed reality shows and crappy television in general, including everything Ryan Seacrest produces.

Ryan Seacrest is a lot shorter, more image conscious, not a comedian, and is best known for hosting American Idol and releasing the pop culture Kraken that is the Kardasian family.

I remember Richard Dawkins once complained that the X-Files was responsible for making people dumber, maybe that was true for some people, some people actually thought the show had something of note to say about the real world, maybe the 'stoned people from the 90s' you speak of. I never really bought Dawkins argument though, the X-Files just appeals to different types of people for different reasons, if you believe in silly nonsense to begin with you might have your beliefs reinforced at worst, but I can't imagine the show converting a rationalist into an irrationalist.

I'm sure his argument is rooted in that of a militant skeptic. I can say that he's got a point when it comes to less intelligent, less rational, and more ignorant people. Or just the more impressionable ones. Lot of people flock to conspiracy stuff without really fleshing out the details. That's why the Alex Jones-esque angle was interesting to add to the show.

0:24

I think in a perfect world where everyone is well-educated, X-Files wouldn't influence people's actual world views

But I've met so, so many people...

Now, I fucking love X-Files

But I'm certain it has done harm to scientific literacy

And I'm not sure how to feel about that

(I hate Dawkins btw)

That was Joel McHale, he did a show on E! called the Soup that spoofed reality shows and crappy television in general, including everything Ryan Seacrest produces.

Ryan Seacrest is a lot shorter, more image conscious, not a comedian, and is best known for hosting American Idol and releasing the pop culture Kraken that is the Kardasian family.

I know :) I was making joke. Obviously, not a very good one.

P.s. Dale Gribble is possibly the best example you could've posted above.

The last episode started off with Mulder complaining because he'd wasted his life investigating shit that had mostly been debunked or shown to have been caused by natural phenomenon, but by the end of the episode his faith in the mystery of the universe had been restored.

I never liked the X-Files though because I felt like I was receiving secret messages though, I've always known the paranormal conspiracy thing was nonsense, it was just enjoyable fiction to me.

dawkins makes people dumber

x-files is entertainment

I know :) I was making joke. Obviously, not a very good one.

P.s. Dale Gribble is possibly the best example you could've posted above.

Oh ok I half-wondered about that. My sarcasm detector is hit or miss.

never seen such garbage in a long time, its like a B-movie with good effects

lol, the transformation effects were hilariously bad, probably intentionally so.

For the record I liked episode 3, the rest have been very underwhelming.

dawkins makes people dumber

I think you're probably on to something, people who haven't read anything of his, but constantly complain about him, are definitely dumber than when they started off.

Been watching since the early 90s, was a super fan at a point, although the last few seasons are questionable at best, god awful at its worst. That said I enjoy these new ones. That "fox presents" at the end of the cold opening makes me wanna puke however. Also, glad mulder hasn't jumped on the plastic surgery train.

My issue with Dawkins is that he's kinda the anti-Sagan of popular educators. I could listen to Sagan talk about anything, and he was such a cool dude. Dawkins has done great work, but I think he's terrible at educating the public.

What really cemented my view was the YT video of him "teaching" evolution to some Christian middle school kids. Evolution is strange, complex and counter-intuitive, and he seemed to have no interest in actually clarifying anything.

Sagan would have gotten those kids excited about science, whereas I bet Dawkins put them off science altogether.

Big fan of the previous Darin Morgan-penned episodes, and ep. 3 was classic D. Morgan. Pretty much satisfied my hopes for the new series, which were basically: get Darin Morgan to write an episode, and get Duchovny fully back in Reynard Muldrake character.

Archived