IGNORED

Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator Synths

Joyrex

The Speak engine is only monophonic though, as is the one microtonic voice. It's a small limitation though, as Cuckoo proved in his video. You definitely need that chiptune channel economy mindset though.

The KO is 4-note poly, which is only slightly better, but plays to my love of nanoloop and squeezing as much as possible out of it. And besides, having more than four elements on one step is kinda overkill for most electronic music unless you're doing lush prog stuff.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Speak engine is only monophonic though, as is the one microtonic voice. It's a small limitation though, as Cuckoo proved in his video. You definitely need that chiptune channel economy mindset though.

The KO is 4-note poly, which is only slightly better, but plays to my love of nanoloop and squeezing as much as possible out of it. And besides, having more than four elements on one step is kinda overkill for most electronic music unless you're doing lush prog stuff.

Ah, missed that, you're right. Yes, I very much embrace the channel economy mindset - it's rare that I use all the tracks on my OT or even MnM.

You could also make an argument for drum layering I suppose, but with the sampling being so immediate, you could easily do that with an external recorder or even just a delay. Four is a good number of simultaneous elements.

Fun and informative tutorial here. Looks like a really unique device.

@ 28:20 - I REALLY hope Magnus comes up with an Android/iOS version of Microtonic that can of course do PO-dumps. It'll sell like hotcakes and will open up the PO-32/35 workflow a lot. 

I REALLY hope Magnus comes up with an Android/iOS version of Microtonic that can of course do PO-dumps. It'll sell like hotcakes and will open up the PO-32/35 workflow a lot. 

Yeah, that'd be a good selling point for me. I wouldn't use microtonic in any of my main compositions but being able to transfer custom sounds from my phone would be excellent.

Apparently in the Speak, the animated baby will randomly say things when the instrument has been idle for a few moments. At the end of this Cuckoo/Sonicstate video, they mention one particular phrase that shows up: "Stop making that big face"  ...neither Gaz nor Cuckoo seem to recognize it, so boo on them for being losers.

At the end of this Cuckoo/Sonicstate video, they mention one particular phrase that shows up: "Stop making that big face"  ...neither Gaz nor Cuckoo seem to recognize it, so boo on them for being losers.

BOOO, just when I was starting to like Cuckoo. -10000 points.

At the end of this Cuckoo/Sonicstate video, they mention one particular phrase that shows up: "Stop making that big face" ...neither Gaz nor Cuckoo seem to recognize it, so boo on them for being losers.

BOOO, just when I was starting to like Cuckoo. -10000 points.
indeed, I'm reassured about getting it now tho :)

• 2 weeks later...

The KO is great. They really hit a sweet spot with this one. It's even more like a mini-MPC than I expected because you can change your trim points after sampling. The effects are very musical and seem to be more responsive too, which makes it more fun, and the melodic scale is a lot more useful than I expected.

Only downsides I've found are that the parameter lock system is slightly awkward - you can't hold a step and tweak like on the Tonic, you have to exit record mode, tweak, and come back in again. But when you hold down a recorded step for a couple seconds, it will switch to that key or drum slot so you can stay in the sequencing flow without hunting for the right key/slot. Also, the filter is pretty lame but sufficient for utilitarian purposes. And data transfer takes a while so it's easy to get distracted and forget it was going.

The sampling quality is on the lo-fi side (seems to be 8-bit) but it's the satisfyingly crunchy variety, and it doesn't seem to lose much high end, just dynamics. Also you can crank the levels on the samples well into saturation for even more crunch.

This is the first PO that really feels standalone to me. With some perseverance and clever planning, you can make a track on the PO-32 and probably some of the others, but this one doesn't really feel limited or awkward. 4 note polyphony is fine when you can record whatever you want. Who knows how well it will do in the incredibly saturated market, but it's already one of my favorite samplers ever.

I'm really looking forward to someone doing a hip hop mixtape with one of these.

My speak still hasn't shipped although I ordered it directly from TE. Not surprising because it really looks like an awesome piece of gear to own yet this makes the waiting even more difficult!

First test using samples of my dogs eating and being excited about eating.

New format for my youtube channel, please watch, like, subscribe etc! I need 1000 subscribers in order to monetise lol

honestly you need a better DOP for your films, just my opinion... the edit is a bit sloppy too and the dialogue could be a bit more campy... too artsy for my tastes... no soul. :doge:

soundtrack is amazing though! 

subscribed!

DOP?

Keep in mind it's literally the first time I've recorded myself on camera :P will take the criticism on board though; I definitely want to be a bit more animated on camera, maybe not to the level of some youtubers but I think I meed a style :D

DOP?

Keep in mind it's literally the first time I've recorded myself on camera :P will take the criticism on board though; I definitely want to be a bit more animated on camera, maybe not to the level of some youtubers but I think I meed a style :D

yeah director of photography, i was just having a laugh lad... xD

First test using samples of my dogs eating and being excited about eating.

New format for my youtube channel, please watch, like, subscribe etc! I need 1000 subscribers in order to monetise lol

Subscribed! Great video and props for being brave enough to star in it. Now I got a GAS for that machine though...

Archived