IGNORED

Aphex responding to comments on Soundcloud

zazen

so he prefers talking to random people on soundcloud to giving some sort of AMA at WATMM?

98 percent of fans love this album, why does he have to listen and respond to the minority??

Exactly! He writes to some asshole who is pissed because his lame shit dubstep isn't more popular than Aphex Twin.

Richard: If you are online sneeking around, come in here on WATMM and you will get lots of hugs :)

He already has a wife to suck his dick, I doubt he wants a sloppy teethy one off watmm.

my teeth are quite soft actually

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In comments section of his soundcloud, Richard mentions movie "Naked" (1993). I guess only real reason to mention this movie was to give hints. So...

I think you missed something. He specifically mentions the 23:00 min part of the movie:

P4Q6e3S.png

(The original comment by kidcloudkicker seems to have been deleted but afx quotes him so you can get the gist.)

So at 23:00 in Naked you get this monologue:

Louise: So what happened, were you bored in Manchester?

Johnny: Was I bored? No, I wasn't fuckin' bored. I'm never bored. That's the trouble with everybody - you're all so bored. You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them, and it doesn't matter how tawdry or vacuous they are as long as it's new as long as it's new as long as it flashes and fuckin' bleeps in forty fuckin' different colors. So whatever else you can say about me, I'm not fuckin' bored.

So I think AFX is saying something in response to kidcloudkickers criticism of 'I hear no difference in rhythmic structure for 5 minutes, theme doesn't develop or go anywhere' ... I guess he's saying not every piece of music has to have "flashes and fuckin' bleeps in forty fuckin' different colors."

98 percent of fans love this album, why does he have to listen and respond to the minority??

Because there's nothing very interesting to say if people like your stuff, other than 'thanks'. Besides he said in plenty of interviews that he found the watmm/ab/kickstarter thing quite touching.

so he prefers talking to random people on soundcloud to giving some sort of AMA at WATMM?

He's never going to comment here, it would be way too icky. Its just bad taste to sign up and post in a fan forum thats dedicated to you, don't you think? He definitely reads this forum from time to time though; in the Pitchfork Syro interview he mentions the 'what does syro stand for' thread.

Soundcloud makes much more sense as a place for RDJ to interact online - its a genuine community of musicmakers, and he's far from the only big name on there. I think its fucking great that he's on Soundcloud.

8d295d4ff3.jpg

dude, if aphex himself randomly commented on my track i would have a heart attack

The guy that made that track replied and didn't even seem excited or anything. If Richard-senpai noticed me I'd freak the fuck out for like an entire year.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

8d295d4ff3.jpg

KidCloudkicker really pushed the boat out with this track imo. The way the rhythmic structure changes constantly throughout the four minute duration, the way the theme develops and twists and turns in ways I couldn't even imagine in my wildest dreams - it's like he's pushing the boundaries of sonic possibility with each and every bar. It sounds like a modern Mozart's Requiem to me.

Some guy said: "Do you think you will ever release this track? www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-pgxNhHKl0" <--- The supposedly from Squarepuser unreleased one, being played at Rome in 2002, and then in other DJ sets later on.

The 'phex responded: "yes and no"

Can we speculate about this?

I think that Warp will make a compilation album with unreleased tracks from Warp artists, compiled by Richard David James himself (I hope).

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Some guy said: "Do you think you will ever release this track? www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-pgxNhHKl0" <--- The supposedly from Squarepuser unreleased one, being played at Rome in 2002, and then in other DJ sets later on.

The 'phex responded: "yes and no"

Can we speculate about this?

I think that Warp will make a compilation album with unreleased tracks from Warp artists, compiled by Richard David James himself (I hope).

Yes and no

I hope you're 43 years old and have an unreleased backlog of phexian 90's tunes, because today is your lucky day

Q2XRy8S.png

Really nice stuff though: https://soundcloud.com/user487363530

'suzanne' is pure saw85-92 goodness.

In the other thread they're fairly convinced that Soundcloud user487363530 is an aphex sockpuppet

cA5JaUL.jpg

Told y'all that track was his.

Holy shit! If I remember correctly, people laughed and ridiculed those of us who said it was aphex!

Anyway, it was quite nice of him to comment on Cloudkickers shitty joint. I really don't see the point of an AMA here, what's it going to be about? How he takes his tea in the morning?

cA5JaUL.jpg

Holy shit! If I remember correctly, people laughed and ridiculed those of us who said it was aphex!

He doesn't say it's him anywhere there. The yes and no was a troll response to make people speculate.

In fact it's much more likely he was responding yes to it being squarepusher and no to it being a collab.

I hope you're 43 years old and have an unreleased backlog of phexian 90's tunes, because today is your lucky day

Q2XRy8S.png

In the other thread they're fairly convinced that Soundcloud user487363530 is an aphex sockpuppet

recordings are too clean, he's not making that sorta shit any more.

cA5JaUL.jpg

He doesn't say it's him anywhere there. The yes and no was a troll response to make people speculate.

In fact it's much more likely he was responding yes to it being squarepusher and no to it being a collab.

exactly my thoughts.

cA5JaUL.jpg

I see it as , Yes, I will eventually release, No, not SP, not a collab.

Q2XRy8S.png

recordings are too clean, he's not making that sorta shit any more.

what makes you think these are new tracks? I hear tape hiss on it

cA5JaUL.jpg

Anyway, it was quite nice of him to comment on Cloudkickers shitty joint. I really don't see the point of an AMA here, what's it going to be about? How he takes his tea in the morning?

I would honestly love an Aphex AMA. Still remember the Autechre one. Good days :).

Archived