IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

14 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

r.i.p. masayuki uemura (inventor of the nes and snes)

jvv9dshxgfbriong1xqf.jpg

put some serious respkt on this man's name

My introduction to video games was the nes but I have so many good memories with the super nes (Mainly because of Square soft classics) RIP

• Sad 1

A smol local celebrity died today.

Moved into a house two years ago and this cat already lived here, Bagira she's called. Apparently she waltzed into this place 18 years ago and decided to make it her home. Last night she started throwing up and barely moved anymore, so today we had to put her down after a visit at the animal doctore. She said something's wrong with her brain, she probably had a tumor we didn't know about.
The lease of the house even said "cat is part of the house" which was adorable.

Oh yeah she was deaf which was kinda funny. She never meowed unless she was dreaming :flower: To the otherworldly meowsbagira.thumb.jpg.fb710a8b2e42d5cb147608e12325e626.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

7 hours ago, ignatius said:

FGZCX50VIAA_gSA?format=jpg&name=large

i liked when she bought that church to live in and pissed off all the christians. 

Just saw this in the New York Times . RIP.

I hadn’t read the books before seeing the Tom Cruise movie in high school but ended up seeing that movie 6 or 7 times in the theater (I think that was a tie with Pulp Fiction for me). Say what you will about it but it hit at the exact perfect moment for me as a (at the time) long-haired, gothy, psychedelic metalhead. I went on to read the first 6 books of the chronicles. I loved the world she created. Even though it eventually all jumped the shark in multiple directions, what she created was truly unique and set the foundation for the modern vampire story and perhaps much more. Big up. 

• Like 1

^ I had the same "it just hit at the right moment" experience with one of her minor works and the only book of hers I've ever read: Vittorio the Vampire. never read any of her major works. RIP.

RIP Bagira the cat also, after what sounded like 20 years of a good life.

I was never a massive fan or anything, but her influence on the whole vamp/goth scene is worthy of some respect. she is also a New Orleans icon, and helped add to the mythos of that place. a long time ago I was friends with a girl from nola that briefly dated her son Christopher back in high school, before he came out. I remember that girl's family's house was down the street on Napoleon from that orphanage that Anne Rice bought back in the '90s, which itself was a minor tourist attraction after Anne Rice's celebrity status took over after the Interview movie came out. RIP Anne Rice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zero said:

I was never a massive fan or anything, but her influence on the whole vamp/goth scene is worthy of some respect. she is also a New Orleans icon, and helped add to the mythos of that place. a long time ago I was friends with a girl from nola that briefly dated her son Christopher back in high school, before he came out. I remember that girl's family's house was down the street on Napoleon from that orphanage that Anne Rice bought back in the '90s, which itself was a minor tourist attraction after Anne Rice's celebrity status took over after the Interview movie came out. RIP Anne Rice.

Queen of the Damned is the longest novel I’ve ever finished. Got as far as Body Thief, but never read Armand or Memnoch. RIP 

• Like 1

Wow, must of had my head in the clouds to miss this (also I almost never click on this thread).

As some of you I came across her books in my twenties, I was up to date with Stephen King (The Dark Half) and looking for something in the horror genre. Cannot remember how I heard about her but I bought Interview With A Vampire which I thought was okay and then being blown away by The Vampire Lestat and especially Queen of the Damned. I think Tale of the Body Thief was the last one I read before moving to pastures new. I remember recommending them to my younger Sister and she’s read the whole series.

RIP Anne Rice

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Joan Didion died today at her home in Manhattan, The New York Times reports. The legendary novelist and essayist was 87. According to Paul Bogaards, an executive at Knopf, Didion’s publisher, the cause was Parkinson’s disease.

Didion was one of the most distinctive and influential contemporary writers, who changed the landscape of the American essay—and the landscape of American thought—with collections like Slouching Towards Bethlehem (1968) and The White Album (1979), as well as novels like Play It As It Lays (1970) and A Book of Common Prayer (1977), and memoirs The Year of Magical Thinking (2005) and Blue Nights (2011).

“Had my credentials been in order I would never have become a writer,” she wrote. “Had I been blessed with even limited access to my own mind there would have been no reason to write. I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. Why did the oil refineries around Carquinez Strait seem sinister to me in the summer of 1956? Why have the night lights in the Bevatron burned in my mind for twenty years? What is going on in these pictures in my mind?

We are all glad we found out.

Joan Didion has died at 87. (LitHub)

If you don't know her work, you should.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

update: igor bogdanoff (grichka's brother) has been in a coma for the past few days. covid + unvaccinated just like his bro. we now know they both chose not to get jabbed because they believed the vaccines were more harmful than the virus. 

Well, you can't just inject any old shit into your body.

image.png.d802e7042388505b3d7f47f24702634f.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 3
  • Farnsworth 1