IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

http://pitchfork.com/news/62382-scott-weiland-has-died/

:sad:

RIP dude. Scott was one of the great rock singers IMO.

Purple and Tiny Music are two of my favorite albums from that era. His crooner singer parody on the Purple hidden track is nothing short of astonishing. RIP.

I used to catch a lot of flack from my friends for liking them

(Kinda like admitting you like ABBA at a Sabbath show)

I think the first 2 albums are fucking genius

The stuff is really the opposite of the 'generic grunge-by-numbers' or 'poor man's Pearl Jam' reputation they ended up with

Once all the bias and cultural myopia has died off, history will smile upon those first two albums

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, except I'd extend the last bit to the second two albums. Tiny Music I feel was their most ambitious work, and is a guitar tone wet dream. I didn't care for it as much as a kid because I was weirded out by Weiland's wimpy new vocal style, but even that has since grown on me. Core, while still a solid album, sounds very dated to me now. Purple and Tiny are timeless.

Agreed, except I'd extend the last bit to the second two albums. Tiny Music I feel was their most ambitious work, and is a guitar tone wet dream. I didn't care for it as much as a kid because I was weirded out by Weiland's wimpy new vocal style, but even that has since grown on me. Core, while still a solid album, sounds very dated to me now. Purple and Tiny are timeless.

Now that you mention it, I totally agree about the 3rd album

(I've heard the 4th and 5th but I didn't really give them their day in court)

Core definitely sounds dated

But hey, so does a lot of great music

(E.g. Any great music that came out of 80's Detroit acid house, 60's psych and garage rock, 70's stoner joyride rock, 90's breakcore, etc)

Great albums can have their year stamped on their forehead

And still be great

Hell, even Buster Keaton movies are dated in a certain sense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Core definitely sounds dated

But hey, so does a lot of great music

True enough! Though if someone were to make fun of certain aspects I enjoy about it, I'd probably just shrug and accept it. Purple, on the other hand, I'd have an easy time defending. Well, ignoring the lyrics... "take a bath/I'll drink the water that you leave" might be the grossest lyric of all time. But I love the way he delivered it.

Was that 12 bar blues? I think I only heard it once or twice. I should give it another try, but first I must reacquire it. Another STP related album that I'd completely forgotten about until 5 minutes ago, is Talk Show --it's basically STP with some other guy on vocals. I took it out from the library once while in highschool and can't remember a thing about it, other than that it exists. That one might be a bit trickier to track down.

Yes! It's a quite dense record, tons of layers of sounds, often unpredictable, masterfully produced too. And of course, Weiland's singing is stunning (and more varied than on STP's records IMHO) across the whole album. I'm sure you can find a copy for peanuts, it was quite a commercial failure IIRC.

Edited by Nil

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...