IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

^^ also his ex girlfriend has a gofundme page

Tsk tsk...

to be fair, he had a pending case on the (alleged) assault, but now that he's dead she needs to get the monies she would have been awarded IF he had been found guilty- so perhaps that's the thought process behind that crowdfunding?

probably not considering the gofundme was launched 20 months ago

...man, I was just thinking about how weird it was that whenever extreme metal guys start a side project it's always one of the worst things ever, Hell Yeah being a prime example.  But his work with Pantera was incredible.  One the greatest and most immediately identifiable metal drummers of all time, no doubt.

Pantera was incredible. The first time I heard Far Beyond Driven I was like 11 years old and it cemented my love for heavy, fast music. Also, all of the song writing in it is really clever. There's a lot of odd timing and polyrhythmic stuff that is so smooth you don't even notice it.

RIP Vinnie.

I've been going through the Pantera discog since Vinnie's death, and man... the shift from Power Metal to Cowboys From Hell has got to be one of the biggest leaps in musical evolution that any band has ever pulled off.  Ridiculous.

Point A

(Power Metal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0d_1U_GgE

Point B

{CFH):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVs6sPYfaY

Only two years and one album later.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I remember getting Cowboys From Hell a year or two after it came out, had no idea about their previous incarnation for many years. Was pretty funny when I found out. Reminds me of Dr Dre before NWA. The Abbot brothers were great though, some pretty iconic drumming on CFH and Vulgar Displays, Dimebag was a great guitarist too, probably my favourite player back then. I stopped listening to metal pretty soon after Far Beyond Driven so never kept up with them, I'm just presuming they got crap after that, and to be honest I was starting to get bored with metal by then anyway. I still listen once in a while for nostalgia's sake.

There was a small record shop in Dallas from like 01-03 called CD World. The guy had all the original Pantera Vinyls from the Hair Metal days up on the wall. this blew my teen metal head mind because i never knew they had this phase. Of course i left there thinking that Phil sang on all of them. I never heard more than 2 songs from them until I got to college and got on slsk tho.

Vinnie, Dime and Rex were at the Slipknot show I went to in Dallas in 2000. It shocked me that they went to shows together like that.

Edited by colunga