Herr Jan

Celebrity Deaths

Vaghan Oliver. Who? The guy who designed all the cool 4AD album covers. BoingBoing has a large number of examples: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/30/vaughan-oliver-graphic-desi.html

Never really gave it much thought, but seeing a bunch of them together on one page brings home how much I like his work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i always hated those pixies covers lol

nevertheless, rest in peace vaughan oliver. also neil innes. brave sir robin ran away

Edited by dr lopez

4 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Vaghan Oliver. Who? The guy who designed all the cool 4AD album covers. BoingBoing has a large number of examples: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/30/vaughan-oliver-graphic-desi.html

Never really gave it much thought, but seeing a bunch of them together on one page brings home how much I like his work.

Head about this. It'll End In Tears by This Mortal Coil is one of my favourite album covers.

• Like 1

Syd Mead is my favorite futurist visionary. His influence via Blade Runner, Tron, Alien, etc. is beyond well known, for me his interior concepts and more utopian oriented stuff is what I find perpetually inspiring. His work has a far more timeless and ageless feel to it compared to many other retrofuturism peers.

Here's to Mead and a brighter and better future.

0god1quirt741.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, dr lopez said:

also neil innes. brave sir robin ran away

21 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Neil Innes, star of The Rutles, and the "Seventh Python" has passed at 75:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/30/neil-innes-the-rutles-monty-python-dies

Man, Innes' passing is one of those that reminds me of how old I'm becoming. I wore out a VHS copy of the Rutles as a kid. I didn't realize how core he was at the songwriting of that was until years later, some of his Rutles tunes are as good if not ironically superior to the Beatles originals he was both satirizing and paying homage to. He's def an underappreciated collaborator of Monty Python, as is his work with Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Yeah, holy fuck I had no idea just how many covers he designed until I looked it up on discogs

• Like 1

Edward Holmes aka Optiv from Cause 4 Concern and other DNB acts has passed. Sad day for bassheads 

• Like 1

those videos are so silly - a stupid video of them, completely unplugged, pretending to sing and play while the fully produced track just plays over them

Fuck, only 67 and all the drugged up dinosaur shitlords keep on playing... 

On 8/13/2018 at 12:28 AM, diatoms said:

o7

• Like 1

fuuuuuuuu :^(

I don't like Rush's music, but have a lot of respect for their musicianship. RIP to a legend.

3 hours ago, Braintree said:

I don't like Rush's music, but have a lot of respect for their musicianship. RIP to a legend.

I recorded a Rush cover band and they stiffed me for a couple hundred dollars.  Actually put me off Rush's music because of it.

Rocky Johnson, pro wrestler and father of Dwayne Johnson, dead at 75.  Here's a clip from That 70s Show, where Dwayne played his father Rocky, and Rocky in turn played Dwayne's grandfather, who was also a wrestler.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871597-wwe-hall-of-famer-rocky-johnson-the-rocks-father-dies-at-75

rocky.jpg

the rock's dad is not a celebrity.

It’s an interesting factoid that he has the same name and was also a pro wrestler. His son/self is a celebrity imo 

Celebrity death validated.

Does JRR Tolkein’s son dying count?

Did he die in a crash with someone famous?

• Haha 1