IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

Oh no ... one of the truly, truly staggeringly great greats.

Terrible writer, of course, but *such* a fantastic artist.

Years ago I visited an exhibition that featured some of his original work. Truly mindblowing to think that came out of the hands of a fellow human being.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Wow, those are 3 extremely different projects to play drums in.  

yeah true. it's not uncommon though. i'm always surprised by musicians who can do musical chairs like that in bands and then i'm surprised that i'm always surprised because the more touring musicians i meet the more common i realize it is.

Edited by ignatius

I haven't noticed it a lot with drummers.  It's actually weird to me how many musicians stick to one thing, or if they have another project it doesn't fall too far from their first one.  There's so much to music explore in only one lifetime.

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I haven't noticed it a lot with drummers.  It's actually weird to me how many musicians stick to one thing, or if they have another project it doesn't fall too far from their first one.  There's so much to music explore in only one lifetime.

true. i think a lot of it is just being open and meeting people. some musicians have that personality matched to their skills and draw people to them.  they all meet lot's of people when on tour.. those big festivals and touring festivals  like lollapalooza etc. some people just hit it off. i know from talking to some musicians that one day the phone rings and then they're off to a touring gig w/a different band filling in for someone who moved on to something else. 

there's so many studio musicians too. for hire. who play on albums then tour w/the band and play on more albums w/different bands etc. capable musicians w/touring experience can do a lot. it's a great skill to have really. 

some people are just rad at that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:04 PM, ignatius said:

Bill Rieflin...

bill-rieflin-dead.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=

Man. As a drummer myself, this is a rough one. I was always a huge ministry/pigface/kmfdm fan.

So sad. The guy was a beast.

He and Martyn Atkins are 2 of my favorite all-time drummers. If y'all haven't checked out Pigface - Gub, please do. It's essentially nothing but drums with vocals on top. Bill really shines on Bushmaster & Weightless. Also, the track "War Ich Nicht..." is a mind-blower. I always wondered if the two drummers drifted in and out and in and out of sync during the recording or if they just slowed down the 2 tape tracks. Either way, it's fucking genius and I can't compare it to anything else I've ever heard. 

Huge RIP 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

Damn. Bill Rieflin was one of those names that would continually pop up when I read liner notes as a teenager. He was part of so many things that I liked, his name kind of became a reassurance of quality.

Requiascat in pace.

Skateboarder Jeff Grosso has died at age 51. Surreal to see him posting videos of him and his kid on instagram within the last couple days. It's unexpected, an apparent heart attack.

He had a great running segment on YT called "Loveletters to Skateboarding"

• Sad 1