IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

13 minutes ago, dcom said:

“Massively influential” is an understatement for Little Richard. This guy was a force of nature. Easily as important to the development of modern music as a dozen Florians. If any of you haven’t done a deep dive, I highly recommend it. As a performer, he was possessed by a power that was almost terrifying. I can’t think of many other artists, especially at the time he came out, that consistently had vocals “in the red” like him. He was a damn monster. He could also basically re-record the same song over and over and change the lyrics and it would still be equally as electrifying because of how much passion he delivered. 
David Bowie once said, after hearing Tutti Frutti, "I had heard God".

• Like 7

So many favorites... 

( ^^^ one of my favorite things about LR is how many times he screams like he's being killed in a horror movie, like around 0:53 in Jenny Jenny )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

“Massively influential” is an understatement for Little Richard. This guy was a force of nature. Easily as important to the development of modern music as a dozen Florians. If any of you haven’t done a deep dive, I highly recommend it. As a performer, he was possessed by a power that was almost terrifying. I can’t think of many other artists, especially at the time he came out, that consistently had vocals “in the red” like him. He was a damn monster. He could also basically re-record the same song over and over and change the lyrics and it would still be equally as electrifying because of how much passion he delivered. 
David Bowie once said, after hearing Tutti Frutti, "I had heard God".

honestly surprised he was still alive. 

salute to the real king of rock n' roll

• Like 2

I forgot to add... 

Sadly, LR was also one of the most painfully "closeted" celebs in history. He had acknowledged his past "homosexuality" on several occasions but in the context of having been "saved" or whatever, as if that was all over. Whether he believed that story or whether he was being defensive in public, he was a truly tragic product of the widespread repression and lack of understanding of the times he came up in. Regardless, he still was rare pioneer of sexual identity & gender-bending, which shouldn't go unobserved.

I hope he's finally "out" and fabulous in that big gay heaven up there.

My wife says "Be free, Little Richard".

edit

In case you didn't know, he also was a mentor to Jimi Hendrix...

https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/10729/jimi-hendrix-met-little-richard

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 5

Pascal had a residency in the very first club I went to, spinning every Thursday night back in 1991 or thereabouts for us kids with our police whistles and our welder's goggles. It was where I first heard Sven Väth play as well, but Pascal basically taught me how to walk (i. e. dance).

R.I.P. Pascal. Thank you for the music.

• Like 1

Big part of my 90s youth there. Would buy the whole disc if I saw "F.E.O.S. Mix" anywhere in the track titles

On 5/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

I forgot to add... 

Sadly, LR was also one of the most painfully "closeted" celebs in history. He had acknowledged his past "homosexuality" on several occasions but in the context of having been "saved" or whatever, as if that was all over. Whether he believed that story or whether he was being defensive in public, he was a truly tragic product of the widespread repression and lack of understanding of the times he came up in. Regardless, he still was rare pioneer of sexual identity & gender-bending, which shouldn't go unobserved.

I hope he's finally "out" and fabulous in that big gay heaven up there.

My wife says "Be free, Little Richard".

Absolutely, and all of this not just in the 1950s but as black man born in the deep segregated south to boot - the original lyrics to "Tutti Frutti" were literally about tapping ass. So much of the unabashed, brazen, and taboo energy  of rock n' roll was ushered in by Little Richard.

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Comedy legend Jerry Stiller dead at 92

IMG_4498.JPG

One of my favorite scenes from Zoolander isn't centered around Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell. Instead it's when Jerry Stiller's character Maury Ballstein deflates the dramatic tension in the film's climax when he calls his off-screen wife Sheila to find a zip disk at home and ends up arguing over delaying dinner. 

When it came to the endearing old grumpy man role, no one really comes close to Jerry Stiller. He and his lifelong wife and partner Anne had a warm familiarity to them as individuals and comedians that's rare in Hollywood, something that I think rubbed off on their son Ben as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

such a legend. 92 is a pretty good run. so many lolz from him over the years. RIP

Totally. He stopped working after Anne died in 2015, the Zoolander 2 cameo being the exception: they were really close and married happily for 60 years.

2 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

Totally. He stopped working after Anne died in 2015, the Zoolander 2 cameo being the exception: they were really close and married happily for 60 years.

i think the first movie i recall seeing him in is that one w/ben stiller, john cusack where they are swindlers out to steal a boat.. it's funny as the stillers are the baddies and don't pla to comedy at all in it.. and cusak is the star. 

oh.. just gogoled.. it's called "Hot Pursuit"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093215/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_80

neither stiller even features in the trailer

Paul "Bear" Vasquez aka "Double Rainbow guy" has died. I have always non-ironically loved this video and it was from the best time of YouTube

• Sad 8