IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

I think it’s got to be said, David Lee Roth is hands down the best rock band frontman ever. He was the perfect frontman to Eddie Van Halen’s playing. Damn. 

that whole Sammy Hagar shit doesn’t float with me one bit. 

Edited by Upset man
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Upset man said:

that whole Sammy Hagar shit doesn’t float with me one bit. 

Hagar era has grown on me, "Right Now" particularly. But yeah there's only one EVH and DLR and their pairing was some cosmic shit in terms of pure rock brilliance. 

• Like 2

one of the true guitar "gods." any kid growing up in the '80s/90's who played guitar knew at least one VH riff...I was definitely one of them. 

sadly his reputation took a massive hit back when he was an alcoholic wreck. and I always hated reading about all the immaturish in-fighting with him and just about every lead singer he played with. seemed a little too diva like...but I suppose all those huge rock bands behaved similarly.

apparently he cleaned up in recent years. here's an interview with him from 5 years ago reflecting on stuff:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6605231/eddie-van-halen-addiction-david-lee-roth-touring

2 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Hagar era has grown on me, "Right Now" particularly. But yeah there's only one EVH and DLR and their pairing was some cosmic shit in terms of pure rock brilliance. 

Definitely, I tried to follow Van Halen after they parted ways with Roth and got until For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, then my interest dropped. I also think that David Lee Roth Band with Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan and Greg Bissonette was a superstar group, Eat Em' And Smile and Skyscraper are absolutely brilliant albums. I've got a longish guitar hero fan history from my teens, starting with Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Van Halen, going through Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Tony Macalpine - and I still like them, went to see Vai's Passion and Warfare 25th anniversary tour gig here in Helsinki, wasn't disappointed. I've got a couple of guitars I still occasionally fiddle with (a Tokai AST-'62 sunburst strat and Ibanez Universe UV70PBK 7-string, if someone's interested).

Eddie Van Halen's influence on guitar playing technique and guitar technical development is undisputed. Requiescat in pace.

Edited by dcom

James Randi, known to the world of both magic and professional skepticism as The Amazing Randi, has died. As a frequent talk show guest, performer, and sponsor of the famed (and never claimed) One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, Randi spent his life exposing false claims of paranormal abilities, often by those hoping to secure financial advantage from others for their “gifts.” Per The Wrap, Randi died of “age-related causes” on Tuesday; he was 92.

R.I.P. James Randi, a.k.a. The Amazing Randi, conjurer and skeptic (AV Club)

• Sad 4