IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

Neither RIP nor good riddance but a tremendous goodbye to a tremendous historical figure. He oulived those who tried to kill him, relinquished his reign as Cuba opened up, and died after fighting capitalism on Black Friday. End of era.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Neither RIP nor good riddance but a tremendous goodbye to a tremendous historical figure. He oulived those who tried to kill him, relinquished his reign as Cuba opened up, and died after fighting capitalism on Black Friday. End of era.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

damn right

Hard to imagine what Cuba would be like without Castro. Definetely a mixed heritage. Maybe I'll have a shot of rum for his memory.

Hard to imagine what Cuba would be like without Castro. 

A much nicer place to live one would have thought.

Looking at the neighboring countries like Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic I wouldn't be so sure about that. Cuba still has universal health care and education. It's a very safe place compared to the region. But yes, human rights violations, poverty and so on also.

Looking at the neighboring countries like Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic I wouldn't be so sure about that. Cuba still has universal health care and education. It's a very safe place compared to the region. But yes, human rights violations, poverty and so on also.

Those were all dictatorships and authoritative regimes as well, just ones that weren't communist and aligned with the USSR. Some were just as bad (DR and Haiti in particular) during some regimes in the 60s and 70s. All have economic disparity to some degree, Jamaica is more of a variety of issues of corruption, crime, and class divides whereas Haiti is the most impoverished in the whole region. D.R. has arguably done the best recently. 

Communist Cuba does have a harsh history: state atheism enforced until the 90s (so even well meaning and humanitarian clergy were arrested or expelled), thousands killed and imprisoned for their activism against the dictatorship, censorship and restricted access to information. Everything is free at a cost of long lines and no alternatives. Free enterprise is forced underground. A British expat friend of mine knew schoolmates who visited the country and noted that people were happy but more than willing to stress that they wish they could live somewhere else in private. Granted Batista would have easily made the country just as oppressive in certain ways as neighbors like D.R. and Haiti were...but it's unknown for how long, especially after the cold war ended. So things like universal healthcare and education were immediate perks at huge cost. The preservation of Havanna's architecture and 20th century culture, as well as oddities like their perpetually running 50s era American cars, are pleasant side-effects of a regime that has essentially stifled every citizen to a pleasant but controlled livelihoods of either basic rural or low income urban existences. Castro's defiance to the US and imperialism inspired leftists worldwide but it also lead to a near nuclear war in 1962.

Edited by joshuatx

RIP the Leicester City of Brazil

'This should have been the most glorious week in the history of the club. Associação Chapecoense de Futebol, relative small fry in the ecosystem of Brazilian football, were flying to Colombia to take part in their first continental final when the plane crashed carrying 81 people, 76 of whom have died.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/29/chapecoense-brazilian-football-team-plane-crash-colombia

You missed a neighbouring country called the USA. The economic development differences are down to the mix of ideologies and the mean IQ for each population. And certainly Cuba has long been suspected of lying about it's health care outcomes which is pretty typical, if a program doesn't work, just double down and fake the figures until the magical thinking can make them. Certainly it's human rights abuses are unassailable facts. Of course you could rebut that and say, well the ongoing american attempts to undermine the country's will to remain communist justified the extra judicial killings and the imprisonment without trial. heh. I wonder how many would see that the US was trying to mess with Cuba, but steadfastly refused to think that obama had been similarly meddling in the Ukraine or Syria. nwae, /politics off, no point doing this in a dead zone.

The economic development differences are down to the mix of ideologies and the mean IQ for each population

How are you still a mod?!

You missed a neighbouring country called the USA. The economic development differences are down to the mix of ideologies and the mean IQ for each population. And certainly Cuba has long been suspected of lying about it's health care outcomes which is pretty typical, if a program doesn't work, just double down and fake the figures until the magical thinking can make them. Certainly it's human rights abuses are unassailable facts. Of course you could rebut that and say, well the ongoing american attempts to undermine the country's will to remain communist justified the extra judicial killings and the imprisonment without trial. heh. I wonder how many would see that the US was trying to mess with Cuba, but steadfastly refused to think that obama had been similarly meddling in the Ukraine or Syria. nwae, /politics off, no point doing this in a dead zone.

underappreciated jazz/blues pianist and singer Mose Allison died the other week.

shit, no idea he was still alive, rip.

I got this years ago when buying up all the Atlantic remasters I came across, really good shit

R-3676945-1339959764-1192.jpeg.jpg