IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

3 hours ago, iococoi said:

tenor.gif

It's not fully appropriate to laugh but this is perfect. I've mentioned it elsewhere before but "crying on the dancefloor" is a legit aesthetic I look for. Hump in peace.  

• Big Brain 1

damn...a lot of 1990/91 memories going through my brain right now...Simpsons t-shirts, reebok pumps, BK's, everyone HAD to have Air Jordans, young dudes with their left ear pierced, talking shit on the school bus, that Kid n'Play foot dance...and every single kid in 5th/6th grade at the time knew ALL the words to the Humpty Dance. I remember reciting that shit like it was the fuckin pledge. still have the cassette single somewhere. RIP Humpty Hump.

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

7 hours ago, zero said:

damn...a lot of 1990/91 memories going through my brain right now...Simpsons t-shirts, reebok pumps, BK's, everyone HAD to have Air Jordans, young dudes with their left ear pierced, talking shit on the school bus, that Kid n'Play foot dance...and every single kid in 5th/6th grade at the time knew ALL the words to the Humpty Dance. I remember reciting that shit like it was the fuckin pledge. still have the cassette single somewhere. RIP Humpty Hump.

You are pulling that stuff straight out of my brain, homie (I was a chubby kid in 1989/90 and wore my Bart Simpson T-shirt to the pool/beach) . Only I had the Pippins because  1) they were ugly as fuuuu  2) cheaper than Jordans  3) everyone had Jordans. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, zero said:

On 4/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

You are pulling that stuff straight out of my brain, homie (I was a chubby kid in 1989/90 and wore my Bart Simpson T-shirt to the pool/beach) . Only I had the Pippins because  1) they were ugly as fuuuu  2) cheaper than Jordans  3) everyone had Jordans. 

RIP Shock G

Frightening how I'm from the same Arsenio Hall Show micro-generation as you guys; managed to buy Sex Packets on cassette on the doelow from a local music shop after school, remember well how the extended album version of Dowhatchyalike rocked on first listen.  Never did quite make it to Gutfest '89 (or any other Gutfests for that matter).  No Jordans but I did have a pair of those flaming pink Andre Agassi mid-tops and the shoulder-pads-and-bat b&w Bo Jackson poster.  Simpler times for sure.

• Like 4

Just now, BobDobalina said:

... the shoulder-pads-and-bat b&w Bo Jackson poster.  Simpler times for sure.

I remember that poster. I can't remember if I had it or not tho. I didn't collect baseball/football cards because I really didn't like sports at all (except for DA BULLS because everyone was a Bulls fan back then for obvious reasons), but I exclusively collected Bo Jackson cards. I have 3 or 4 sheets of Bo cards in a box somewhere.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

RIP Shock G

Frightening how I'm from the same Arsenio Hall Show micro-generation as you guys; managed to buy Sex Packets on cassette on the doelow from a local music shop after school, remember well how the extended album version of Dowhatchyalike rocked on first listen.  Never did quite make it to Gutfest '89 (or any other Gutfests for that matter).  No Jordans but I did have a pair of those flaming pink Andre Agassi mid-tops and the shoulder-pads-and-bat b&w Bo Jackson poster.  Simpler times for sure.

They were in that niche late 80s group of hip hop acts that were pro safe sex, akin to Salt N Pepa. The total opposite of the Easy-E end of rap at that time, banging as many girls as possible.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, Rubin Farr said:

They were in that niche late 80s group of hip hop acts that were pro safe sex, akin to Salt N Pepa. The total opposite of the Easy-E end of rap at that time, banging as many girls as possible.

Came here to post about Shock-G, what a loss. I think that people so often think about the "joke" aspect of the group but Shock-G was also legit musician who probably was my first introduction to the P-Funk sound (great article here about him https://www.stereogum.com/2145671/shock-g-tribute/columns/status-aint-hood/). He was also doing "persona" rap way before the Slim Shady's of the world and, guess what, also introduced the world to 2-Pac. 

But, he was also fun! I'm with everyone here who has posted about this brining back serious nostalgia. I could probably still recite the entire Humpty Dance from memory, have loads of fond memories watching their vids on MTV back in the day. 

On the topic of safe sex aspect of the group, here's a fun story: Growing up as a biracial half asian/half polish kid (you read that right) I was often drawn to rap as a reflection of my inner angst/minority identity. I got deep into N.W.A., and then Gheto Boys, 2liveCrew etc. etc. Yes, skinny little asian looking kid w/ huge glasses thinking I was "hard" is as ridiculous as it sounds. Somehow I managed to sneak in tapes from all the aforementioned groups without my parents knowing (and anyone with even a passing knowledge of those groups knows how filthy the language, not to mention the content). 

However, the tape that got rap banned in my house? Friggin' "Sex Packets" ... an album loosely based around a fictional drug that gives you a sexual experience without having to actually have intercourse, making it ironically a safe sex alternative. Not to mention it was the antithesis of most of the rest of my rap collection, insofar as it was lighthearted, playful, and just plain fun. 

Here's a tip to parents: Maybe.. actually listen to the content your kids are consuming before tossing it/banning it? (Though, I suppose lines like "in the 69 my Humpty nose will tickle your rear" might be legit cause for concern :lol:)

R.I.P 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

the creator of Berserk, Kentaro Miura, died at 54. this is significant over and above the niche realm of 90s anime/manga. as one of the best in its class, the influence of Berserk is enormous, not least through Dark Souls which itself has been so influential. and the manga series was ongoing. pretty saddening. hope there's enough material and creative guidance left to bring the series to a good conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3