IGNORED

Why is life no longer exciting?

andyb

i'm just only starting, only read the first chapter of the book, i'm still very far from the basic meditation i believe, but i find the breath exercise to be quite useful in order to keep my mind off things, and since my head is at full speed right before i go to sleep, i use the breath exercise to calm down my mind and be able to fall asleep.

dunno if you guys have been reading the "loner thread", but i wonder, how will this kind of episodes be interpreted when you've been trough meditation?

oh, you've been there MAG, will this kind of view of the world ever change?

people pretending to act like they are something different, bragging about shit, talking about weather. It's just dumb and they are dumb

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest murphythecat8

murphy yes, all that you said. it's not even that much important to sit in lotus meditating, you can drink a tea for an hour and concentrate on it, or do anything with full mindfulness and it will count.

Your "ego" dissapears and you feel more like a part of the world, rather than isolated individual. Something hallucinogenic drugs do to you. People are so afraid to lose themselves, their emotions, habbits, their body that it brings a lot of suffering. Basically you need to dissolve in this world, lose yourself completely and then you will be happy. Kinda kill consciousness and let the brain do the thing. Ofc, you can still live a normal life as normal person, go to work, have friends etc.

TIMJ - about doing it right before sleep. usually it's recomended to meditate at least couple of hours before going to bed. It actually gives you energy and you might have a problem with falling alseep instantly, but it can vary from person to person, so you can give it a try

also, neuroscience proved that meditation morphs your brain, some parts grow bigger, you improve concentration and memory, fear lessens, and you can ease physical pain with it. Mental exercises. Our brain is amazing thing.

definitely, you can be mindful and must be mindful at all time. to see each and every moment we do without judgments and simply observe.

mindfulness of thoughts is the beginning as we must ask our mind, where are you? in the past, thinking about the future, craving, whishing, hoping. all this thinking steer us away from the present moment.

people pretending to act like they are something different, bragging about shit, talking about weather. It's just dumb and they are dumb

hmm, im not sure i understood your sentence correctly, Im not native english.

Sometimes i get angry and say things that I will later regret saying. What i meant is that some people think too much of themselves. It brings suffering to them and to people around them, it spreads like virus. Many times it comes from people who is suffering at the moment (like they have shitty job they hate, they feel like they are losers) so they feel the need to show others that they are cool, and they spread that negativity outside. It makes them feel better for a moment, but this negativity doesnt go nowhere. Boss wife cheats on him > boss shouts at you at work > you at your wife > she shouts at kid > kid torments the cat etc. Its all connected. Many of this results from social hierarchy, media and people that fall easily on that things. When you understand how it works, you cant even get angry on them. They are more like victims. Bragging about yourself is just a defence of the brain. It's not the kid is bad (who torments the cat) it's what society is, its how it goes.

The only thing to change it is...i dont even know. David Lynch is "preaching" meditation in schools, public places - to make it everyday usual activity in society. Schools have showed good results - kids were more concentrated and their grades got higher, there was less fights between the lessons, teasing the teachers etc. So good idea overall.

I think in world of tomorrow, when everyone will have everything, or things will be collective, it will also help. Like in Gebbert Wells book. In communism, no matter what they are telling about it, they almost got it right. People were happy living in those days (after WW2). They were more friendly and responsive, everyone respected everyone. There was a main idea that glued society, everyone had same things, and now it's just money and everyone is for themselves. But thats another story.

Hope any of this makes sence, cause its hard sometimes to "think" in english.

i find being mindful is like trying not to think of something.how can you try no to think of it. you are trying.
you can get there. washing dishes is good. but it is really going back to being a child. children live in the moment.
i think it is impossible to go back to that sadly, but at least you have a timeframe for life.

Guest murphythecat8

i find being mindful is like trying not to think of something.how can you try no to think of it. you are trying.

you can get there. washing dishes is good. but it is really going back to being a child. children live in the moment.

i think it is impossible to go back to that sadly, but at least you have a timeframe for life.

well, when you think to not think, you think.

mindful is being aware without judgments.

thinking is eventually stressful, even when you think only positive thoughts. but at least, when you are mindful of your thoughts, you stop the negative thoughts and ressentments that makes you very unhappy in life

ideally, you go from mindfulness of thoughts to the mindfulness of the body which is much more calm.

yes, its very easy, with practice, to stop thinking and only dwell in the mindfulness of the body

I'm glad this thread took the direction it did. I have been meaning to get back into meditation and I finally spent some time on the cushion this morning.

Thanks for the link to the book, THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON.

Sometimes i get angry and say things that I will later regret saying. What i meant is that some people think too much of themselves. It brings suffering to them and to people around them, it spreads like virus. Many times it comes from people who is suffering at the moment (like they have shitty job they hate, they feel like they are losers) so they feel the need to show others that they are cool, and they spread that negativity outside. It makes them feel better for a moment, but this negativity doesnt go nowhere. Boss wife cheats on him > boss shouts at you at work > you at your wife > she shouts at kid > kid torments the cat etc. Its all connected. Many of this results from social hierarchy, media and people that fall easily on that things. When you understand how it works, you cant even get angry on them. They are more like victims. Bragging about yourself is just a defence of the brain. It's not the kid is bad (who torments the cat) it's what society is, its how it goes.

i feel the exact way as you do, we're on the same page! i wanted to know how meditation affects the "that" way of looking at things, how will meditation help to deal with "assholes" if you know what i mean...

for people interested in meditation, I'd highly recommend reading some of Sam Harris's insightful comments on the matter - especially his recent book called 'Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion'

his book definitely changed certain aspects about the way I view life

Guest murphythecat8

i feel the exact way as you do, we're on the same page! i wanted to know how meditation affects the "that" way of looking at things, how will meditation help to deal with "assholes" if you know what i mean...

mediation will help you see that assholes are not assholes. they act the way they do and they are the one suffering the most because of that.

everytime you think negatively of someone, you suffer automatically. even if your right or not to think that hes a asshole, it would be better, for your own sake, to see that the negativity you have for this person makes you suffer. therefore, its much more fun to live in the body and not care so much about what you think of people.

eventually, love will be the only feeling you have and compassion for others. because life is hard and well, theres no point to judge.

however, you can know that someone is acting like a asshole and you can even help him to see that, but to judge him and hate him for his mistakes only hurts yourself.

Guest murphythecat8

for people interested in meditation, I'd highly recommend reading some of Sam Harris's insightful comments on the matter - especially his recent book called 'Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion'

his book definitely changed certain aspects about the way I view life

sam harris is very smart.

Id also recommend aya khema books and ajahn brahm books on meditation.

life sucks if you're ugly af

Yup

Only if you are some UGLY lazy slob, if you have something that you have achieved people will notice you even if you are ugly as fuck.

If you feel ugly stop sulking and achieve something people will go "oh thats cool, that guy is cool", thats the loophole.

I've felt this way for a few years now. I always remind myself that my problems are pathetic next to what anyone in poverty has to face day after day but as somebody said in this thread, you just can't help how you feel. I'm nineteen years old and have so much to live for but a feeling in me pulls me down to mediocrity again and again and again, and I try to fight it but more often that not I fail and another day is wasted.

I have bad problems with social anxiety which has ruined so many opportunities to make friends and start relationships, and I sicken myself to the core with my own desperation. For the last few months I've been fucking exhausted all the time so I can't read or focus on anything except music. It's amazing really, the way I can drift away into the music, it's the about only thing that makes me feel great about myself.

The only other thing that keeps me going is an awareness of my potential to overcome my issues, which I know are mostly self perpetuated by bad thinking habits. I know in my heart that I can beat these issues, and with all the thinking about people and their behaviour and habits (I've had nineteen years people of people watching :happy: ) I've become comfortable with the fact that I don't want to be anyone but me. I'm trying really hard now to let go of all the things that I don't need anymore and it's hard, but I will get there.

well, when you think to not think, you think.

mindful is being aware without judgments.

thinking is eventually stressful, even when you think only positive thoughts. but at least, when you are mindful of your thoughts, you stop the negative thoughts and ressentments that makes you very unhappy in life

ideally, you go from mindfulness of thoughts to the mindfulness of the body which is much more calm.

yes, its very easy, with practice, to stop thinking and only dwell in the mindfulness of the body

mindful you describe could also be cbt. catch the negative thought and adjust it.

see, adults need to sit in a dark room and listen to their lungs to be mindful. (it is nice i agree)

but children do that without any constraints. im sure animals do too.

mediation will help you see that assholes are not assholes. they act the way they do and they are the one suffering the most because of that.

everytime you think negatively of someone, you suffer automatically. even if your right or not to think that hes a asshole, it would be better, for your own sake, to see that the negativity you have for this person makes you suffer. therefore, its much more fun to live in the body and not care so much about what you think of people.

eventually, love will be the only feeling you have and compassion for others. because life is hard and well, theres no point to judge.

however, you can know that someone is acting like a asshole and you can even help him to see that, but to judge him and hate him for his mistakes only hurts yourself.

good observation. but is this more of just a philosophy about a culture? some people take pleasure in being assholes. true pleasure. like when you feel good holding the door for someone

life sucks if you're ugly af

Yup

Only if you are some UGLY lazy slob, if you have something that you have achieved people will notice you even if you are ugly as fuck.

If you feel ugly stop sulking and achieve something people will go "oh thats cool, that guy is cool", thats the loophole.

i see cute girls with ugly mouth breathers all the time. A lot of young girls HATE themselves.

best thing i can think of: get yourself a near death experience.. you'll be glad to live after it! (for example ayahuasca or 8-12 grams of mushrooms) its not a cure or fast lane for anything it just deeply alters the perspective of how you see yourself in relation to the universe and mother earth. in fact: you are very special.. you just don't know it.. you are here for a reason.. as all of us are.. even if the reason is just to prepare for death.. the one thing all of us have in common.. we will die.. buddhists say live life to practice dying.. death is always just one step away.. it is the greatest teacher of all teachers..

thats one path.. the other is: take a backpack and go hiking in the summer for 3 months at a stretch.. try to avoid people. dont talk. be. listen. feel. once you come home from your journey you will be happy about the tiniest of things.. things you didnt even take a notice of before.. actually i am just happy that i have shelter, water and food.. warm water coming from a faucet.. omg how awesome is that?! and the food.. oh the fooooooood ;).. after a few weeks you'll notice yourself craving the presence of people.. someone to talk to.. someone to share your joy with.. just anyone..

i took a journey for 4 months.. i walked 3 trails in north sweden.. (sweden is awesome because you can almost drink straight from any water source)

sleeping in your car for a a couple weeks will make you so happy you have a bed.

I wonder if there is old dead and young dead. if there is anything. i find it fascinating that someone who dies today is as dead as ceaser. no time frame to it. or maybe there is.

that's exactly what i wanted to know, the thing is, i haven't meditated yet and i already feel that way, well, not feel, i can think that way, but it's hard to feel it truly... but there's still a problem there, i might not judge, i might not think they're assholes, i might be compassionate towards them, but that doesn't change the fact that i don't enjoy being with them or does it? my main problem is achieving comfort with one another... gonna stop don't even know if this is making any sense.

i try my best not to judge, and even if i do judge i tend to not take it too seriously, it's like opinions, well, they're in fact opinions, and like people use to say, when i see them i wave at a distance and follow my way... the thing is, i'm always self-judging so it's just natural that i also judge others.

that's exactly what i wanted to know, the thing is, i haven't meditated yet and i already feel that way, well, not feel, i can think that way, but it's hard to feel it truly... but there's still a problem there, i might not judge, i might not think they're assholes, i might be compassionate towards them, but that doesn't change the fact that i don't enjoy being with them or does it? my main problem is achieving comfort with one another... gonna stop don't even know if this is making any sense.

i try my best not to judge, and even if i do judge i tend to not take it too seriously, it's like opinions, well, they're in fact opinions, and like people use to say, when i see them i wave at a distance and follow my way... the thing is, i'm always self-judging so it's just natural that i also judge others.

About achieving comfort with one another. The irony is, i think, that you've already pinpointed the most single point which blocks the comfort you're looking for: self-judgment. You can totally love and respect everyone in the world (without judgements etc), but if you don't love yourself you'll never feel that level of comfort you're looking for.

About achieving comfort with one another. The irony is, i think, that you've already pinpointed the most single point which blocks the comfort you're looking for: self-judgment. You can totally love and respect everyone in the world (without judgements etc), but if you don't love yourself you'll never feel that level of comfort you're looking for.

that is one of the hardest parts.

Archived