IGNORED

Jlin - Dark Energy

YangYing

http://www.junodownload.com/plus/2015/01/28/jlin-to-release-dark-energy-on-planet-mu/

The Indiana-based footwork producer’s debut album will arrive on the UK label in March.

Footwork producer Jlin’s name may not be instantly recognisable, but if you cast your mind back to 2011, you may remember her two contributions to Planet Mu’s second Bangs & Works compilation. Her music evidently made an impression on Planet Mu boss Mike Paradinas, as the producer – who lives in Gary, Indiana, a city neighbouring footwork hub Chicago - will be releasing her debut album Dark Energy on the label in March.

The album would seem to explore darker themes than you might expect from a footwork album. “This album took my entire life to make,” Jlin explains in a press release. “My musical sense of expression comes from sadness, and anger. I can’t create from a happy place. It seems pointless in my opinion. I don’t make the tracks as much as I feel them. Creating for me is about feeling and impact.”

The album is also notable for a high-profile collaboration with RVNG Intl’s resident voice manipulator Holly Herndon, who lends her distinct vocal talents to “Expand”. Dark Energy is the latest in a long line of footwork albums on Planet Mu, which has also released long players from RP Boo, Traxman and Young Smoke in recent years.

Planet Mu will release Dark Energy by Jlin on March 26.

dark-energy-450.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. Black Ballet
2. Unknown Tongues
3. Guantanamo
4. Erotic Heat
5. Black Diamond
6. Mansa Musa
7. Infrared (Bagua)
8. Ra
9. Expand
10. So High
11. Abnormal Restriction

I loved her stuff on the bangs & works comps, 2015 is off to an amazing start!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yah, checked out the rest of the samples after this showed up on my YT feed:

As an album overall, the direction that footwork was taken is like 25+% progressive, which is good. The above posted track, though, is pretty standout with regards to footwork phorward execution.

• 2 weeks later...

wouldn't let me edit: this is the first time I hear Infrared and I'm fucking losing my shit, stuff is insane - I love what she does with the dynamics of the drums, very slight changes give footwork insane energy.

FUCK! This is AWESOME!!!!!

Black Diamond to Mansa Musa is some of the dopest shit i've heard in a long while. So exciting when a female producer gets some attention - we need more of that. and of course we need more from my excellent home state of indiana!!!1

bambi thank you! Jlin thank yoU!

Is it just me or are these tracks kinda messy? Where's the flow? I know it's hard to juggle all the bits and pieces, but I would've gone through another round of edits...

I will give it a couple more listens

Is it just me or are these tracks kinda messy? Where's the flow? I know it's hard to juggle all the bits and pieces, but I would've gone through another round of edits...

I agree, at times it sounds a little broken, but I like it! Reminds me of the way I make music, fuck the flow - just mess with sounds and rhythms

I agree, at times it sounds a little broken, but I like it! Reminds me of the way I make music, fuck the flow - just mess with sounds and rhythms

i think she's just going with her own flow. that's what's so great about it. nominally this is a 'genre' album but really its proper outsider art. more power to her!!

Guest murphythecat8

boring

dude you fucking suck. your sig is a perfect indication that you are not advanced enough for this

yh

tell that to my face after you have heard this:

https://youtu.be/NwXXMTYZT4Q?t=28s

@0:28

it sucks

boring

dude you fucking suck. your sig is a perfect indication that you are not advanced enough for this

lol

boring

yh

it sucks

ohh tell me more, I am so curious about your opinion, why does it "suck"? what does it "suck"? is it your dick?

edit: if that is the case, is that a compliment?

Guest murphythecat8

boring

yh

it sucks
ohh tell me more, I am so curious about your opinion, why does it "suck"? what does it "suck"? is it your dick?

sorry to have offended you

boring

yh

it sucks

dont worry dear, you havent

Guest murphythecat8

boring

yh

it sucks

dont worry dear, you havent

even worse then. insulting me like that without even been insulted

I remember when Planet Mu really started pushing the whole footwork thing, erotic heat was a real stand out tune for me, even now there is something v cool about it

not really feeling this album though, a couple of bangers but I just don't think I get footwork much, maybe it'll grow on me though

I remember when Planet Mu really started pushing the whole footwork thing, erotic heat was a real stand out tune for me, even now there is something v cool about it

not really feeling this album though, a couple of bangers but I just don't think I get footwork much, maybe it'll grow on me though

Still doesn't "work" with me.

I much prefer the Ekoplekz / John Gast / Ital side of mu lately, weird twitchy dubbed technoid stuff.

Archived