IGNORED

Jlin - Dark Energy

YangYing

I have no doubt that this would kill on the dance floor where people are actually footworking. Personally I can't get into it on headphones, but that's okay because I don't think it was made for headphones. Sure, there's footwork music that's more versatile, but not all of it has to be that way.

What I do really appreciate about this is that it's not built around samples from disco/funk records like a lot of other footwork is. Jlin's artist page says "Though previously using samples in her work, she now refuses to, and her tracks are composed of all original material." I think that's really cool, and I'm looking forward to more stuff from her in the future.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

even worse then. insulting me like that without even been insulted

I was reading through this thread again and wanted to apologize for the dumb argument, was not a good week for me that one.

:beer:

edit: this album still kicks ass imo

Played half a dozen tracks. Not going to slate it, as anyone who is creating something artistic shouldn't be criticized by a neanderthal such as myself (that's the political correct way of me saying I thought it was pretty awful).

the tracks on both ends are kinda stupid, but the core of the album is really fucking juicy.

yeah i kinda agree. i NEVER get why people frontload an album with the worst track haha

Guest murphythecat8

even worse then. insulting me like that without even been insulted

I was reading through this thread again and wanted to apologize for the dumb argument, was not a good week for me that one.

edit: this album still kicks ass imo

me too, I had a bad week, sorry.

When I dont like a album, I normally simply dont comment. I shouldnt have dissed a album I dont like, it is insulting for people who do like it (or can be seen as insulting)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought this in my recent planet mu batch, on the back of the hype and the AOTY nominations, and the fact that it was billed as a splintered form of footwork.

I still don't get footwork. I have tried numerous times to understand why it gets the hype but idk.

It probably sounds great in a club but to me it just seems lacking in any sort of soul. As said above by NoResults, it doesnt really translate well as headphone music.

A few of the tracks off this JLin album just really annoy me through their repetition. Usually im OK with repetition but the sounds used here just bug me. If you took a shackleton track, sped it up, stripped back the sub-bass then replaced the interesting drum hits with stock film samples you are probably somewhere close to how this sounds to me.

This album is however more interesting than the rest of the footwork stuff I have heard, I will give her that. And kudos to Mike and the mu family for believing and pushing this sound forward. It just doesn't work for me and now after a good few attempts am going to give up trying to appreciate it.

• 3 months later...

absolute bangerz m8.

this shit my soundtrack for playing mortal kombat x, i love it!!

MUHAHAHAHA. ROUND ONE

been playing infrared a lot lately, killer track

lmao footwork has fresher ideas and approaches than anything the Holy Church of the 303 has to offer

Richard could prob make an AFXTRACKGENERATOR program and pump out Syro II in a day or two

I need my mental beats, acid squelches, and LUSH pads ok

cum

between this and the last RP Boo rekkid, I'm having a whale of a time.

question is: which one is better? I actually like this one more, it's meatier. RP Boo likes his stuff a bit more minimal and stripped back, which is cool, I love that album too, but this one has all sortsa interesting shit going on.

Archived