IGNORED

Heorge Garrison - Shortridge EP

MadnessR

It's not 4rd/Bewwip. I talk to him from time to time, he says it's not him. I'm gonna assume it's the label owner himself.

Thx. 

It sounded like it might be 4rd to me but I stand corrected!

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slowly growing on me, but yeah, that's no "emotive" music (just like the Bewwip EP imo). Nag Champa Breaks is ACE tho, so glad I didn't overplayed this one when it first surfaced !

Great lolz with the airhorn sounds as well.

To me this EP sounds like a few braindance tropes thrown together in a few tracks without much structure or cohesion (something that AFX or Squarepusher would bring to it). It just meanders a bit too much? There's some great moments on here for sure but overall I'm left a bit unsatisfied with it even though all the elements are there. No offense to anyone.

HG9.7 is probably my fave track though.

Yep. Pretty much sounds like Beatwife to me, emotions left untouched :-/

i've found some of beatwife's music to be fairly emotive, though i do agree that his aggressive acid / breaks tracks are conspicuously devoid of that. guess there's a time and place for emotional content in music and trying to prove your intelligent dance music chops by rinsing amens and glitchy 303s at 180bpm may or may not be the best time for that, but surely it's possible in the right hands. for a while i was convinced beatwife was a computer program someone had created to generate music. not sure what that says about it, if anything.

anyway, considering all of the different projects that this guy has going he's obviously capable of appealing to more than just the intellect, and i'm pretty excited by the prospect of a nice swirly blend of his various styles into a trinity of thinky dancey feely waves. having said that, microscopic apophenia inducing breaky acidic audio wizardry is exactly what i want to experience sometimes and this album is perfect for that.

I'll pass on this release and wait for the next Cathedrals release tbh (sorry to shamelessly plug your tunes). I don't hear the emotion or intellect behind this or the Beatwife releases. Background music IDM for me.

No offense, if it's a member that made these tracks I'm not trying to lay the hate on, it's just not my type of release is all....

well i'm gonna buy it, it's like 5 friggin bucks!! gonna blast the shit out my speakerz

i can't stand listening to emotion or intellect tunes the whole time, i need full fuckin retard and mind numbing music asswells :cat:

for a while i was convinced beatwife was a computer program someone had created to generate music

lool i need to check this dude out

It's not 4rd/Bewwip. I talk to him from time to time, he says it's not him. I'm gonna assume it's the label owner himself.

I was little baffled some moons ago since there was "bullet proof info" that 4rd and Bewwip is the same dude as our belowed Jorge here. Yet those didn't get me as wet as all the Heorge stuff. Bewwip was good and all but the 4rd stuff isn't doing much anything for me. I mean it's not bad but it's not that great either - it just is. Also, don't hear any Tom or Rich here nor Steinvord. But what do I know... with my luck Heorge is everyone of them. Or that fedora god Wheatpin_x. :diablo:

i can't stand listening to emotion or intellect tunes the whole time, i need full fuckin retard and mind numbing music asswells :cat:

for a while i was convinced beatwife was a computer program someone had created to generate music

lool i need to check this dude out

Hey dudes it's Rognvald now, not Beatwife

While the sound palette (timbre?) here and there might be the same between Wilson and Garrison, I somehow doubt that HG would be a Beatwife alias. But check it yourself.

For tussy-like braindance stuff: Cornbrail Acid I, II and 2.5. Why not to try a freebie like Ritalin E.P. (not so great as the others imo)

And some crazy jungle-based drill'n bass: Earl Rögnvald or Ranch Road 10400 and/or freebie EP All Over Yer Face.

And re: the emotion debate. I really can't digest the comments about the lack of feelings etc. in HG or Beatwife. IMO there's more than enough some serious feeling and emotion in pieces like Dovedale x.010 (Savi Rhankar) or Invisible Sonic Force Fields. But hey, it's just me :wink:  I happen to be a sucker for stuff like this.

Yep. Pretty much sounds like Beatwife to me, emotions left untouched :-/

Heh, I meant to write: "Yep. Pretty much sounds like Beatwife to me. Emotions left untouched :-/".

Wasn't trying to conflate Beatwife with lack of emotion because I haven't heard enough of his stuff to make such a broad judgement.

Good; "old". Punctionation ('ey?)!

But ja, this release isn't for me. Can't feel much from 'complex' acid breaks stuff because the originators did it so well in the first place that I tend to put that stuff on when I'm in the mood for that sorta sound-world.

(dunno why it all went white)

Ok without having heard that much Beatwife... this sounds more 'sophisticated' than beatwife to me? No awkward or "half moments" in production idk. I think it's pretty badass, several cool sections and details

to say this has no emotion is silly. to say this music doesn't create any emotions in yourself would be better. ya dig. 

That is what I said.

No music has emotion - it's just variations in pressure ya silly sausage ;)

I wasn't referring to your reply in particular you bossy bratwurst.

Guest bitroast

I wonder if there's any shenanigans hidden in those cheeky spectral dots at the start of Nag Champa Breaks:

heorge.jpg

yep. looking at this i can confirm this music does indeed have no emotions.

next!

It's a very good mock up of squarepusher and aphex

the drums are nice but the 303/bass stuff is not good enough to be either

i enjoyed the e.p but always just thought to myself, its not the real thing...just a very good impression. 

plus theres very little in the way of melody, at least in comparison...that emotional release that both sq and ap have

I'm just reiterating what many others seem to be saying...its technique borrowed without the core 'soul'...and i still dont understand why someone with a passable amount of talent like this wouldnt put it to good use and make something original. 

What if this guy was just having fun doing "drill'n'bass" fuckery as a hobby tho ? It's not like he HAS to put out something original/fresh etc. As much as plenty of talented people have been doing BoC or Eno or Beatles or whatever rip-offs for the past 10/20/30 years, I don't see why people like HG wouldn't have the right to do Go Plastic-style tracks.

Whoever Heorge is, he managed to put out an EP sounding to me as something fun both to make and to listen to. And to me this is probably the most important thing in music - having fun doing what you're doing.

What if this guy was just having fun doing "drill'n'bass" fuckery as a hobby tho ? It's not like he HAS to put out something original/fresh etc. As much as plenty of talented people have been doing BoC or Eno or Beatles or whatever rip-offs for the past 10/20/30 years, I don't see why people like HG wouldn't have the right to do Go Plastic-style tracks.

Whoever Heorge is, he managed to put out an EP sounding to me as something fun both to make and to listen to. And to me this is probably the most important thing in music - having fun doing what you're doing.

Yes this. Personally don't usually even pay attention towards possible "aping". FFS artists have been taking some influence from others for ages. In some cases it shows more, in others less. Not every release can be totally new and fresh, giving us something we've never heard before. At the end of the day all that matters to me is if they give us some good tunes or not. And Shortridge EP here:

It's fucking brilliant.

Archived