IGNORED

Elektron reverb ~ dark chocolate diarreah

Guest chunky

Futureimage... I was listening to your arrythmus set yesterday at work and my coworker loved it too. Great stuff... You really get a lot out of these machines!

OT: I currently have a MD mki (non-UW) and I really want to grab a mkii UW, but for the money i could get a mono machine and still have the MD... I'm pretty torn... Sampling and double pattern lengths is huge for me... But the mono machine is super tempting too. Anyone have a recommendation?

Also, that Lem live set is sick too. The yt description said the set was on his soundcloud, but it's not there. Would love to grab that if anyone knows if its posted elsewhere.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

The UW turns the MD into another beast. I couldn't do without it. 80% of my rhythms are my own sounds from field recordings or circuit bend synths and I just back them up with some MD machines.

The mono does look amazing and I have been tempted many times but I think you have to work at the sounds to get the gold.

I can do without the MnM because of the A4 so I'd automatically recommend the MDUWmk2

ahh, they arent synthesised? i must admit i havent researched it one bit

No they're samples. And there's another version of it that has more samples loaded in, as well as maybe other stuff? I'm not sure honestly.

I've done little true learning on it thus far, only consulted the manual for a few issues. I've been mostly learning by experimenting, which is really the most fun isn't it?

Sent using magic space waves

ahh, they arent synthesised? i must admit i havent researched it one bit

No they're samples. And there's another version of it that has more samples loaded in, as well as maybe other stuff? I'm not sure honestly.

I've done little true learning on it thus far, only consulted the manual for a few issues. I've been mostly learning by experimenting, which is really the most fun isn't it?

Sent using magic space waves

That _is_ the fun, but I've found with elektron gear they really do reward the occasional dive (and re-dive) into the manual.

/// the tips & tricks as gathered by the elektronauts community are great as well for non-traditional approaches and inspiration (http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm)

Guest bitroast

ho long have you owned it?

there are several a-ha moments with elektron gear. ive lent my mate my machinedrum and he keeps deleting or losing stuff

Lol so true (But i still lovem)

there are several a-ha moments with elektron gear. ive lent my mate my machinedrum and he keeps deleting or losing stuff

Quite a while. I just don't get the song/kit/pattern saving and the correlation between them. I don't know what I'm doing and the manuals or online help don't help. I think I'm just too dim witted to use it.

wait till overbridge... it should help - im guessing you can chop and change and save whole snapshots of the thing and recall per-project.

there are some quickstart-type guides by not-elektron people that helped me a lot

Guest Chesney

Quite a while. I just don't get the song/kit/pattern saving and the correlation between them. I don't know what I'm doing and the manuals or online help don't help. I think I'm just too dim witted to use it.

Just press Function and kit and then save, that will save every synth setting. Then press Fuction and Pattern then save, that will save all pattern and P lock settings. Do that everytime you make a change you want to keep to be sure as it's easy to Return to previousl sound easily and loose changes. If you do that then evevrything is save within that pattern select trig.

I have not delved into the +drive on the A4 yet but I am about 10-11 into the +drive on the Machinedrum and it's easy to keep a track of.

As for song, I don't know. I don't write songs on it, I write many patterns and jam structure. Unless you want to make an actual song structure in the A4 just ignore it and pattern change on the fly like me. Sometimes it's nice to link a couple of patterns together if they alternate regularly but you just need the chain for that, not song mode. I don't use it much but the manual will help you easily figure that one out.

The A4 is really easy if you have a grasp of elektrons way of doing things. Not sure how people fare if it's their first machine though. Might be a tad daunting.

Tried the a4 in a store today and nearly changed my order to one of those instead of the monomachine. Very immediately playable and the reverb is so lush. I'd say I'll end up buying one eventually.

Guest Chesney

I'd definitely say that it's more immediate just by watching Mono demos. But you only have analogue subtractive with the A4 as opposed to many synthesis methods in the MnM. That said, the A4 takes analogue way further than it's ever gone before.

It's a joy to use.

Yeah, I started out replicating the Stone In Focus pad sound/progression and then completely fucked it with plocks and added a chippy PWM melody over the top. It's even more fun than what I expected.

But yeah, I remembered the reasons why I want the monomachine (individual outs, more varied synthesis, external midi control) and stuck to my original plan. Hopefully it comes next week like the guy at the store said, so I can stop complaining about the lateness and start posting jams!

Yeah, probably just the monomachine and A4 though tbh. I already have drum machines and samplers; I don't think I'd use the MD/OT/RYTM to their full potential. Especially since the OT doesn't seem to handle melodic sampling in the same way that a tracker does (basically the only reason why I'd be tempted to get one).

haha this made me laugh, but man, you're overreacting a bit here, there are tons of reverbs that are much worse that the Elektron,

i know i wont make friends by saying that but some people that hate Elektron are just hating is because it's popular and i think they never tried it, or just few minutes

i have the analog rytm, best gear i've bought in years

yeah, its weird like that, isnt it.

maybe just go all out and get a cirklon if you like the workflow - thats what im getting even though im lusting after an AK.

Yeah, the cirklon videos looked nice, but it'd be great to have a sequencer the same size as the other elektron boxes. If elektron made a 16 track MIDI/CV sequencer combining the best sequencing quirks of all machines I'd probably be all over it.

This one looks interesting:

^isnt that one 2 cv ins and 1 cv out or something?^

if so its a bit too basic for my needs (i think from a quick peruse of the website - but im often wrong at first glance) - i want to abuse the relationships between tracks, probability & other sequencing tools the cirklon has

edit* i know basic is sometimes best. i'll probably eat my words

Yeah but it also has two MIDI outs, one of which also functions as din sync. I also don't know much about it but I'd be keen to have a play. Alas, all I can do is look at youtube videos since it's probably only available in australia as a special order..

Archived