IGNORED

Sushi Lovers

Schlitze

Years ago i came to the conclusion that this is my favorite food. Sadly it's the hardest food ever to recreate at home so we have to go to resturants (Expensive) for it or get it from the supermarket. I've been trying out various supermarket ones, the latest of which you can see in the picture below thawing out under the pixels.

DSC02091.jpg

That pack is pretty much standard for the uk prepacked sushi, stinging wasabi on that one. Varieties of very weak wasabi have been available at some major uk stores for a while, those stores are now closing down.

Sushi fans here?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My trip to Tokyo kinda ruined Australian sushi for me. Eating salmon that was actually pink and soft instead of the fluorescent orange rubbery stuff we get here was amazing, as was the fatty tuna and various other super fresh fish cuts. Real wasabi too, instead of the horseradish + food colouring that passes for wasabi outside Japan.

Gonna have to go back there for sure, hopefully again this year. Fuckin' love sushi!

Yeah, i think they thrive on prawn nigiri in tokyo? That is the best, i'd eat it forever and have nothing else. I need to know how to make it. I think a lot is about what temperature it's seved at. And indeed the powerfulness of wasabi.

And, modey, please don't tell me they were serving up live creatures on plates.

No, I didn't have any of the live dishes, though there was one on the menu at one place I went in Akihabara (live horse mackerel). I went to Tokyo with the idea that I'd eat anything except for live stuff. It was so good. I even tried natto, which I wasn't really into but wasn't as disgusted as I thought I'd be, heh.

So far Vancouver is the only place that comes close to non Japanese/Korean sushi/sashimi.

Next time you're back modey, you gotta get someone to take you for basashi (horse meat). So good.

Sushi fans here?

big sushi fan here. my favorite is unagi (freshwater eel), anago (sea eel), shiro maguro (albacore tuna) and shake (smoked salmon). all this goes especially well with some cold sake

sakura_sushi_roll.jpg

Ive made my own sushi, the rice is really hard to make well (unless you like to follow instructions to a T you can do it) it takes a while but if you get it right its well worth it.

You can ask for sushi grade fish in your supermarket or order it online (I found a place in Cornwall that delivers across the UK) basically the fish needs to have been frozen (this kills any parasites so sort of cold cooking it).

Where about are you in the UK?

Sushi fans here?

big sushi fan here. my favorite is unagi (freshwater eel), anago (sea eel), shiro maguro (albacore tuna) and shake (smoked salmon). all this goes especially well with some cold sake

sakura_sushi_roll.jpg

that look like tht sushi with a Brazilian influance, I went to an amazing restaurant in Iceland that did it.

I've made my own sushi as well, starting just before I turned sixteen. Not nearly as into it now as I was back then though.

It's fairly easy to make Cali rolls (crab, avocado, cucumber) and Philly rolls (cream cheese, smoked salmon, and cucumber), and to make the inside-out makizushi you need saran wrap and sesame seed sprinkles, plus the bamboo roller mat.

Unagi (eel) is great too, but I haven't bought any in a long time because it's pricy.

Also, for some reason almost all the sushi restaurants in my area are run by Koreans.

Also, for some reason almost all the sushi restaurants in my area are run by Koreans.

Cause Koreans love seafood too..and do it well. But since dumb-ass crackas don't recognize the Korean word "hwei" (fuck I hate romanizing Korean...so ugly) they go with "sushi".

Or as post-post-modern feminist justice warriors would put it: they perform cultural appropriation in order to worship at the graven idol of capitalism - profit.

Don't get me wrong Chen - they do a fine job. It's just an observation that appears unique to the city I live outside of. Besides, I'm quite fond of Korean food as well.

So far Vancouver is the only place that comes close to non Japanese/Korean sushi/sashimi.

Next time you're back modey, you gotta get someone to take you for basashi (horse meat). So good.

Chen theres an amazing place in Nanaimo called Sushi Nori. Hands down the best sushi I've ever had.

If you're ever in that area give it a shot.

This thread just reminded me that I haven't had sushi in a while... I need to fix this ASAP. There's a handful of decent sushi places here in the Twin Cities, I should hit one up this weekend.

Don't get me wrong Chen - they do a fine job. It's just an observation that appears unique to the city I live outside of. Besides, I'm quite fond of Korean food as well.

Oh yeah no I didn't interpret your comment as a diss on the Korean sushi makers.

I think it's also probably demographics. Larger korean diaspora than japanese.

Sadly a Japanese chef is no guarantee of quality. Been to two restaurants here with Japanese chefs that had barely edible sushi...

Years ago i came to the conclusion that this is my favorite food. Sadly it's the hardest food ever to recreate at home so we have to go to resturants (Expensive) for it or get it from the supermarket. I've been trying out various supermarket ones, the latest of which you can see in the picture below thawing out under the pixels.

DSC02091.jpg

That pack is pretty much standard for the uk prepacked sushi, stinging wasabi on that one. Varieties of very weak wasabi have been available at some major uk stores for a while, those stores are now closing down.

Sushi fans here?

could i ask where u gripped that pack?

my kid bro is a chef and can knock out some delicious creations, but anything pre-made in supermarches is utter wank

Oh yeah no I didn't interpret your comment as a diss on the Korean sushi makers.

I think it's also probably demographics. Larger korean diaspora than japanese.

Sadly a Japanese chef is no guarantee of quality. Been to two restaurants here with Japanese chefs that had barely edible sushi...

Yeah there's a considerably larger Korean population than Japanese where I live. But at this point I would infer that an individual's training and experience @ making sushi factors into the quality of it more than simply whether or not they're Japanese.

Love sushi, mainly sashimi and Ikura nigiri (salmon roe).

There's an ok place in London if you're on a budget called Kulu Kulu. It's a franchise of three restaurants. We usually go to the Covent Garden one which is mainly run by Sri Lankan people.

I think the head chef there was trained up by the Japanese chef in the Soho one and then opened his own Kulu Kulu.

Two of you can stuff yourself there for about £35 (with drinks), they do a pretty great softshell crab hand roll too.

I've been to Sushi-Hiro in Ealing Common a number of times before it closed (The chef retired and moved back to Japan). That was meant to be one of the best/most authentic sushi places in the country.

Almost overpowering smell of fish when you walked in, staff barely spoke english, utilitarian metal garden furniture and cash only. Full of Japanese people (always a good sign).

First time I went there I pretty much ordered all the weirdest shit I could find on the menu lol. Had some sea urchin, geoduck sashimi, something called a Squilla which looked like a flattened centipede but tasted like mackerel and turned out to be a mini/baby lobster or something.

They've since reopened under the name Atari-Ya. Went there with my girlfriend last year. Still fucking amazing in there. We had scallop sashimi followed by fatty tuna sashimi, both to share, all washed down with hot sake. The fatty tuna was like eating premium rare steak, shit was a crazy mouthgasm.

Another great place is Sushi Say in Willesden Green. They're also pretty pricey but damn their food is good. Run by a husband and wife, he makes the food behind the counter while she runs the tabled area (and doesn't hesitate to correct you if you're eating it wrong lol).

One day I hope to be able to sample both Japanese and Korean seafood in the countries themselves.

Won't hesitate to try the live stuff tbh

:spiteful:

urchin is the only aspect that i cant quite handle, its a texture thing

seafood has so many quality elements doe.....just look at the varieties of sushi experiences in this thread

equally, if any of you enjoy sea fishing its worth getting to grips with making your own stocks, as fried flounder/whiting/bass etc all benefit from a sauce with some serious plate-licking appeal

Archived