IGNORED

Sushi Lovers

Schlitze

I've stopped eating most sushi because many fisheries are absolutely fucked.

People who don't eat meat for ethical reasons but who eat fish are literally worse than satannaziaustriandadswithkidsinbasementRIAAophiles. Not directed at anyone here in particular.

If you eat a lot of fish, I humbly suggest maybe taking a look at, e.g., http://www.seafoodwatch.org and trying to avoid stuff marked as, uh, avoid.

I know bluefin is delicious. My family used to be tuna fishing folk. There's fuckall left anywhere. Try not to eat it IMO.

Yes!

I always try to get organic salmon (EU regulations are strict, and organic farmed salmon is worth paying a little extra as they prohibit overcrowding/over use of lice treatment- often using fish that eat them instead of pesticides etc)

Always look for a MSC cert. or ask your fish mongerer

http://www.msc.org/cook-eat-enjoy/fish-to-eat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I too enjoyed that film a lot. I particularly liked how he sources everything from individual experts. He's now speaking out about the tuna sustainability problems as well.

You might find this amusing:

• 4 years later...

Today I'm going to try making sushi for the first time. Probably will try california and philadelphia rolls because the ingredients were easy to get and I don't wanna mess with fresh fish at this point yet. I've tried making sushi rice a couple of times now and I think I can make decent rice. We'll see how it'll turn out.
If anyone has any newbie tips, I'd be happy to read them.

4 hours ago, Thiefinger said:

Today I'm going to try making sushi for the first time. Probably will try california and philadelphia rolls because the ingredients were easy to get and I don't wanna mess with fresh fish at this point yet. I've tried making sushi rice a couple of times now and I think I can make decent rice. We'll see how it'll turn out.
If anyone has any newbie tips, I'd be happy to read them.

Short grain white rice is the best. I recommend using a rice cooker, but I think you can still cook it on the stove top in a sauce pan. 

I like to wash the rice before cooking it, and it's generally recommended for sushi rice. Washing doesn't involve soap though, just straight tap water from the sink. You'd be squeezing the rice through your hand multiple times while rinsing it through running water just to remove the white coating. And then you can dump the water once it gets really cloudy. I usually do this three times prior to cooking.

Then when you're ready to add the final water before cooking, I use a "fingernail" method for measurement. The water level should be just enough to cover the fingernail of your middle finger when touching the top of the rice. You could use cup measurements if you prefer, but this method has consistently worked for me over the years.

Once the rice is cooked (rice cookers shut off automatically once cooking is done), then I'd stir it and fluff it around for about ten seconds with a rice paddle or wooden spoon or spatula, which gives it more even steam release. And once it's cooled (which might take an hour or so), then I'd transfer the cooked rice to a non-metal bowl, where you can pour on about 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar to mix in. (I'd advise against using a metal bowl as it can react with the vinegar.) Then your sushi rice is pretty much ready to go.

Also just saw your follow-up post pop up right towards the end of typing this one. Looks like it your sushi came out alright.

The semi decent sushi places around here seem to go under, all you can eat garbage sushi buffets are taking over. 

So yeah, endless garbage > good food

Ehh you can use a metal bowl no problem, as long as you're quick with the mixing and rolling. When cutting the sushi, use the sharpest knife you have and rinse the knife blade after each cut so it doesn't stick.

12 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

The water level should be just enough to cover the fingernail of your middle finger when touching the top of the rice. You could use cup measurements if you prefer, but this method has consistently worked for me over the years.

If you're using a rice cooker - a 1:1 ratio of rice:water works perfectly (although i add a literal splash more water).

I give sushi a 5/10.  I'll eat it on occasion because it's cheap and unlike any of the other foods, but it never delivers the satisfaction of a great burger, curry, pizza, taco, bulgogi, pho, etc.  Rice, fish, soy sauce - my tastebuds are bored af.  I eat sushi when I've had too much excitement for one week.

1 minute ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I give sushi a 5/10.  I'll eat it on occasion because it's cheap and unlike any of the other foods, but it never delivers the satisfaction of a great burger, curry, pizza, taco, bulgogi, pho, etc.  Rice, fish, soy sauce - my tastebuds are bored af.  I eat sushi when I've had too much excitement for one week.

You need to head over to Nanaimo and try Sushi Nori! Meet you there 

12 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

You never were at a good sushi place. Sushi can be exciting as fuck and delicious and very diverse. Also expensive

13 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Next time you're in Vancouver, go to Shiro on Cambie and W 16th, or Toshi on Main and E 16th. Both really good sushi at reasonable prices.

If you feel like spending a little more, try Miku on Waterfront and like Burrard I think. Or Minami in Yaletown.

There's another one I can't remember the name of in Van that's even more expensive but is really really fucking good.

Sadly my favourite place (that was also really really fucking good and really expensive, but IDGAF it made me cum when I ate there) closed down cause the sushi chef went back to Japan.

Archived