IGNORED

Is anybody here intentionally pacing themselves for soundcloud stuff?

pabs

I finally downloaded them yesterday, and separated them into 11 "albums" (as some others have done). I've only listened to the first 2 albums so far, but my god they're good. Only two tracks I didn't really like so far (Pink Floyd and Parking Lot), the rest is absolute fucking classic Aphex. I thought the CWLP was great, this is phenomenal. It's so good to hear the familiar early Aphex palette of sounds used in totally unfamiliar tracks. I'll be slowly treating myself to the other albums over the next few weeks.

Guest sloanster

Doing something similar Mike, everything filed away nicely, but listening on a one folder basis for a long, long time if the uploads keep coming (more please Richard). As you say, even an album a month in real time would be a headphuq to get around, but hey, I'm going into squirrel mode and saving my nuts for quite some time.

Take it easy fella!

Tell me, is anybody else doing a similar thing? Or do you all think I'm crazy?!

It's not just you. This is already all the music I need for this year, pretty much. I've listened to Sam's Car just over twenty times, and Donkey Rhubarb Remix through to Gerald Remix quite a bit, but hardly anything else. I intend to make all this last. :) I'm not being methodical or anything with when I listen to the rest, but it'll be a good few months before I've heard every track, I'm sure.

Besides, it usually takes me a few listens to even like most of his tracks, so I want to warm to a few at a time before I move on to the next batch. Hence my whole attempt at grouping them together into album and EP sized chunks. It makes them manageable.

They're similar to the Analords in that respect. I probably listened to them all a few times, then treated each one like I'd only just got it and didn't have the others yet. Such familiarity breeds appreciation.

Be careful that you don't set up so many rules that you keep yourself from enjoying the tunes! If you're too limiting you may get tired of the ones you have "allowed" yourself and that would be uncool.
I have found that these songs kind of pace themselves for me. I'll listen to one or two and then something will really resonate with me and I will have to go to the other room to mess with keyboards or draw something. The vibes in these songs are energizing, and relating some sounds to the songs we've heard for 20 years and their associated memories can feel like a sort of internal time travel.
Since you are taking your time you should spend a day and make sure your speakers are set up optimally. I had a flaky adapter in one of my monitors and got mad so I made some wires and redid a bunch of connections. It felt good to clean up and things sound nicer when you are more familiar with the path your audio takes to your ears.
I hope it doesn't seem like interest has waned on the soundcloud since everybody is listening to the files now?
Winamp says i've only heard about 40 of them, so lots more fun times ahead for me.:)

Trust me, it isn't too many rules. I'm just planning to pretend that each month he's putting out 10 more tracks.

It's really interesting to read responses here and it sort of confirms what I think about humanity. It's really difficult for people to have self control when they aren't forced to exhibit it. I've always fancied myself a ridiculously patient person, and have accomplished some ridiculously absurd things in some really hard video games because of it. I also recently paid off all my student loans in just two years by working a ton of overtime and just not spending money on anything. I guess I'm just wired differently and actually enjoy the act of saving for a rainy day, as some of you have put it.

I'm definitely not going to burn myself on these songs. I put on an "album" (10 songs), then I will put on Syro, or DMX Krew, or some other album. I don't listen to things on repeat...that's the only way I can burn myself out. The quality is astounding though. I've listened to the first 10 song album I compiled about 30 times or so. It doesn't get old! These tracks have really solidified in my mind that RDJ is THE musical genius of our time.

My speakers are definitely set up well! I have used the same studio monitors for the last 15 years. Event 20/20s. These things are the best!

Doing something similar Mike, everything filed away nicely, but listening on a one folder basis for a long, long time if the uploads keep coming (more please Richard). As you say, even an album a month in real time would be a headphuq to get around, but hey, I'm going into squirrel mode and saving my nuts for quite some time.

Take it easy fella!

Cheers! How many have you heard so far?

Tell me, is anybody else doing a similar thing? Or do you all think I'm crazy?!

It's not just you. This is already all the music I need for this year, pretty much. I've listened to Sam's Car just over twenty times, and Donkey Rhubarb Remix through to Gerald Remix quite a bit, but hardly anything else. I intend to make all this last. :) I'm not being methodical or anything with when I listen to the rest, but it'll be a good few months before I've heard every track, I'm sure.

Besides, it usually takes me a few listens to even like most of his tracks, so I want to warm to a few at a time before I move on to the next batch. Hence my whole attempt at grouping them together into album and EP sized chunks. It makes them manageable.

They're similar to the Analords in that respect. I probably listened to them all a few times, then treated each one like I'd only just got it and didn't have the others yet. Such familiarity breeds appreciation.

Awesome! The Analords are a good example of how nice it is to have a constant stream of music for a long time. I'm so happy RDJ staggered the releases to one or two per month...it really let me absorb them all one or two at a time. THAT was a good year!

Archived