IGNORED

antivirus software

tec

Guest fiznuthian

Speak of the devil.

I usually just stream TV shows instead of watching them on the television because I hate advertisements with a fiery passion. I got anxious to watch the new Saul and popped a torrent into my client. Ended up being a bunk mp4 and a packaged hijack. Lost control of Windows process manager, every browser (chrome & IE), msconfig, regedit, etc.. Took them all down with forced redirects. Minutes later I lost connectivity altogether.

Luckily I keep a spare windows installer on a thumb drive and this partition wiped and reinstalled within 15 minutes.

I'll be purchasing ESET Nod32 again soon I think.. Their license is quite affordable and it's hands down the best AV there is. This is what I get for being cocky (also for just doing my daily habitual shit on a windows machine instead of linux). :emb:

edit: Also just a reminder to BACKUP YOUR DATA. I keep my precious media and data on a seperate drive.

Speak of the devil.

I usually just stream TV shows instead of watching them on the television because I hate advertisements with a fiery passion. I got anxious to watch the new Saul and popped a torrent into my client. Ended up being a bunk mp4 and a packaged hijack. Lost control of Windows process manager, every browser (chrome & IE), msconfig, regedit, etc.. Took them all down with forced redirects. Minutes later I lost connectivity altogether.

Luckily I keep a spare windows installer on a thumb drive and this partition wiped and reinstalled within 15 minutes.

I'll be purchasing ESET Nod32 again soon I think.. Their license is quite affordable and it's hands down the best AV there is. This is what I get for being cocky (also for just doing my daily habitual shit on a windows machine instead of linux). :emb:

edit: Also just a reminder to BACKUP YOUR DATA. I keep my precious media and data on a seperate drive.

dude you just pressed the wrong download banner

Guest fiznuthian

Speak of the devil.

dude you just pressed the wrong download banner

no, it was a torrent with 600 other seeds? and strangely it was located on kickbutt with upvotes and added by an account with reputation..

Guest fiznuthian

ESET + MalwareBytes

Got it. :emb:

Years ago I was at a friend's house and his dad's computer was becoming dominated by a aggressive virus of some kind. It was very quickly disabling and removing any anti-virus installed to the machine. I think he was running McAfee or Norton, one of the big ones. Even Nod32 was being disabled. I tried to install it from a thumb drive. I eventually came up with the idea to reboot into safe-mode, install Nod32 temporarily and hope that it's heuristic ability has fighting chance. Sure enough if detected shit and quaranteed it's ass with some generic name.

Eset doesn't fuck around.

http://www.eset.com/us/resources/white-papers/Heuristic_Analysis.pdf

theyre all shit i dont even use any anymore.

browse in a linux virtual machine like others said and you are as close as you can get to invincible

or run your browser in sandboxie (not positive on how safe this is im no longer up to date but i bet its just as safe as the above)

better yet, do that plus keep disk images of your hdd in a pristine state for future use and you can cure all OCD os cleaning tendencies in the future

or switch to linux where you can forget the stupid images and reinstall from a plain old iso of your distro, but any time you make a permanent change to your system automate it by creating your own custom post-install bash script to re-setup your os which you can run any time you reinstall if you are feeling paranoid.

this is all overkill just use sandboxie

I wonder why all antivirus software aren't by default invisible with a small footprint running in the background and only pops up when something is happening? Who thought it was a good idea to have bloatware and all other useless crap slapped on to it?

Guest fiznuthian

Tested ESET smart security on a virtual machine Windows install and going wild scouring the net for suspect links and downloads. It detected every single one and neutralized the few downloads I did manage to start before they even finished.

It's also as lightweight and non-bloat as nod32 always was. Guess I'm going to stick with this.

Archived