IGNORED

Would You Be Willing To Pay For A Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks?

Joyrex

SoundCloud Tracks  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Pay For a Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks (see topic for details before answering)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (provide reasoning)

Depends. I'd buy it if it's in aid of a good cause. Also, if...

...his involvement is minimal, so he can focus on what he does best - making music...

Would defo pay for official Melodies From Mars.

yes

yes

YES

damnit please yes.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd pay a five/six vinyl bundle

but most of those tracks aren't masterised enough to support a vinyl pressing,

this should be done before pressing them

on another hand i wont invest for CDs

Depends. I'd buy it if it's in aid of a good cause. Also, if...

...his involvement is minimal, so he can focus on what he does best - making music...

Would defo pay for official Melodies From Mars.

yes

yes

YES

damnit please yes.

Official MFM physical, with digital demos/versions, since it has been through a few iterations. Would be magic.

Would buy absolutely. But if it was vinyl exclusively then no, since I couldn't play it (<=Should I have voted the third option instead?). Anyway, cool idea (again) and would like to support this soundcloud dump/gift somehow.

No, I would not. I find it in poor taste to "release" the music of someone who attempted to give it away; especially so to sell it. If RDJ intends to do this on his own terms, that's all well and good, but otherwise, no.

i agree.

why can't we just be happy with what we've got? richard already said he's not interested in mastering these tracks so just leave well enough alone.

personally i think they sound great the way they are, any rough quality just adds character imo. if people really want a mastered physical copy so badly then make your own, it's not that hard...

and i think assuming that he's done uploading is jumping the gun a bit. lets just give this some time and see how it all pans out ffs.

No, I would not. I find it in poor taste to "release" the music of someone who attempted to give it away; especially so to sell it. If RDJ intends to do this on his own terms, that's all well and good, but otherwise, no.

i agree.

why can't we just be happy with what we've got? richard already said he's not interested in mastering these tracks so just leave well enough alone.

personally i think they sound great the way they are, any rough quality just adds character imo. if people really want a mastered physical copy so badly then make your own, it's not that hard...

and i think assuming that he's done uploading is jumping the gun a bit. lets just give this some time and see how it all pans out ffs.

He's not interested in mastering these tracks? Where did you hear that?

Closest quote from soundcloud I could find, is:

on 2 Dual Acid Ab6

none of these uploads have been mastered by the way so you might need to tweak the eq a bit, like this one needs a bit more low added etc. Might re-do the most popular ones but rather be makin new stuff

Must say I find the argument a bit silly, as Joyrex is going for the "have Richard let his originals - not the mp3 downloads - mastered and released on some format" option.(possibly similar to the way that caustic window album was made "physical") Read: with Richard's explicit consent, because, where else would those originals come from? At least that what I read.

Is that poor taste?

Strange. Given your argument, I'd find the argument for "releasing that Caustic Window album would be in much poorer taste" a far stronger one. As that wasn't given away for free and certainly not meant to see an actual release. But it saw an unofficial release anyways. Also with Richards consent. Would you call that poor taste as well?

I can't help but wonder what your position was in that case. (I guess this is at both luke and leaf) It would help me giving a sense of relief that you didn't take part in the kickstarter out of those same principles.

Or is this the "well duh, I already have the 320 mp3's, so why bother?" argument with some moral sprinkles on top so it sounds less egotistical?

I'm obviously jumping the gun here, but I don't think I'm the only one. ;D

I'm sorry, but can we replace 'Physical Release' in title of the thread with something else?

It's probably not going to be the most viewed thread in watmms history. But even so, lets not call it a 'physical release'. This is the Aphex Twin forum, have some sense of decency please.

This is a too plebeian/juvenile choice of words for someone who as graced us with tracks titles 'Shit Squidge' and 'Pump The Shit'. So please, change it before a few children will cry over of it.

"fly away babies, good luck!" is not what you say while physically releasing.

english is not my native language, but doesn't "physical release" seem to be pretty fitting for all the shit-related titles ? :D

i myself would pay for a compilation / all of them, but only if there is some kind of bonus that you get. maybe some more tracks, or at least background info / nice artwork or something. i wouldn't buy it if it was only a blank album (like rushup edge in example) without anything else.

@ goDel - I didn't take part in the CW thing. I wasn't on board with that either, you are correct. I agree w/ Massfreekid's comments a few pages ago, but I don't want to stir shit for no reason, so I've kept my comments brief enough to just answer the poll. This really isn't something I'd care to debate - my opinion is just that, not an argument, and this is pretty low on my list of things to dispute - just wanted to give my answer to JR's question.

@ goDel - I didn't take part in the CW thing. I wasn't on board with that either, you are correct. I agree w/ Massfreekid's comments a few pages ago, but I don't want to stir shit for no reason, so I've kept my comments brief enough to just answer the poll. This really isn't something I'd care to debate - my opinion is just that, not an argument, and this is pretty low on my list of things to dispute - just wanted to give my answer to JR's question.

O, no worries. That's fair. Good to know your being consistent with your principles. I was actually kinda worried (or, jumping the gun) there were some people with similar arguments like yours, but who completely jumped the boat on the kickstarter thingy.

I still think this should be another kickstarter thingy though. Seeing as there has only been less than 100 members actually putting up a vote in this thing. Which might have been less than the average amount of reading members while Richie was dumping his tracks on SC. That's just nog enough. I'm sure a kickstarter could be just as successful as the previous one, if Joyrex is able to make a good proposition. (but that might be my wishful thinking)

Come to think of it...@Joyrex, have you already been in contact with RDJ about this? Or is this just some kind of blimp you're raising to see the amount/type of response before venturing that road?

definitely would pay for these remastered on cassette or CD...would like to see all of them though, not a selection. some kind of box set.

My OCD would make it feel really weird if even one of the tracks was missing... A boxed set would be awesome. How many cds would that be? 8 or so?

Vinyl would be prohibitively expensive I think.

Maybe we should just appreciate the fact Richard gave us these tunes for free? I'm not sure about now demanding he should pull his finger out and start mastering them for us, seems a bit pushy imo. If he wants to then thats cool but let's go with the flow.

Just my opinion.

Maybe we should just appreciate the fact Richard gave us these tunes for free? I'm not sure about now demanding he should pull his finger out and start mastering them for us, seems a bit pushy imo. If he wants to then thats cool but let's go with the flow.

Just my opinion.

Agreed!

but a boy can dream!

Euh, the idea was for someone else to master them. The same guy who did the last EP for instance.

Are you guys making up excuses for not having a physical release?

Joyrex hinted about not doing this officially, but distributed by fans... ? Kind of weirds me out. Not sure what I feel if we become some sort of unreleased Aphex distribution centre.

Just let it go, let the pretties fly away.

hm. i'd pay for a box set or sth. if rdj decided to master / release whatever he sees fit for the purpose.

then again i don't really see a probable scenario where that's gonna happen (except he outsourced selection of tracks to his audience. that would be rather great as we would have done it without even knowing... on the other hand, while i have listened almost exclusively to the dump since the whole thing started, 95% of the time i listen to the dl'ed files on my hd, so null statistically speaking).

all in all i'm pretty happy with what i've got. lossless would be cool of course.

btw i also got the chosen lords cd - it is mastered quite differently and has a completely different flow from the original 12". tbh fenix funk and xmd5a side by side is too much for me anyway...

Archived