IGNORED

‘Damogen Furies’ will be released via Warp Records 20 April. Download ‘Rayc Fire 2’ at squarepusher.net

Aphex_Squarepusher_Twin

It's daft getting annoyed at people posting negative stuff, it's not trolling, English is an expressive language and it's a perfectly legitimate means of expressing an opinion, not everything needs a caveat that we appreciate all the work he has done in the past and that we still love him, Mr. Pusher, sir.

I don't like the track much, but he's probably my favourite artiste so will look forward to the album and seeing him at Dekmantel.

For what it's worth I rate Music for Robots as one of the best things he's ever done, would love to see him go back to that for a full album.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if this were an art exhibit of an artist you liked you would walk up the artist and say their new stuff is awful?

there's tons of music i dont like, i dont troll the people who do like it. you're punishing tom and the people who are into this because he made things you liked in the past

thanks for sharing your opinions. maybe its a good thing you expressed your contempt, so that will set tom aright. artists should do what others want.

not rude and unpleasant at all. carry on.

dont bother expressing your opinions in respectful ways. its best put insulting terms.

what's so bad about expressing your opinion? noone is trolling tom, we talk with each other and not him. No one is waliking towards Tom and saying that it's awful, he probably doesn't read forums anyway! Most people still said they will listen to album before judjing it as a whole! he hasnt started art exebition yet, it's just a flyer on the door, and some people don't like the font, thats all. There is nothing wrong in it.

not everyone was happy about syro when it came out, but it's ok, to all their own, you still can share your opinion and tell why exactly you didnt like it and wont be banned for it. It's friggin democracy here.

Tom doesnt give a fuck about what we think anyway, or he would actually produce the album for fans, and not himself

look i know i'm not the watmm police or something, it's just fucking unpleasant reading all these old school pusher fans deposit their vitriol in such harsh terms, and in addition to that, maybe tom does read it. remember the autechre guys said all the big electronic people come here, especially around release time? i'm sure tom has tons of better things to do than read all these 12 pages, but i wouldn't doubt that he's checked the thread out.

i dont mind people expressing negative opinions if they do it in a respectful way, which many posters in this thread have done. it's when it's snide, condescending, and insulting that it's just putrid garbage left in the thread, and we dont need it. tom isnt trying to make feed me weird things 2 or go plastic 2. nobody cares if you're so upset that this isnt that.

It's a little deflating though, when one of your favorite artists made good music for years and now doesn't (subjective I know blah blah blah).

No imaging (see above picture), piss poor mastering, etc, are not subjective things, and I don't see what's wrong with being critical of the guy even in an angry way when he used to do such a good job of things.

I'm happy for his back catalogue but being the entitled little bitch I am means I'm angry that his present and future catalogue (probably given his current trends) just isn't up to par.

sg, i like mister e's theory on the stereo deal. actually it's pretty awesome. stereo imaging is kind of a tired gimmick in a sense.

are you suggesting tom forgot about channels, or didnt feel like bothering with them?

regarding mastering, i find it interesting and cool. it has shape but solidity, too.

i think watmm suffers from "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it comes to mastering

i think watmm suffers from "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it comes to mastering

yup xDD. Quoting StephenG from syro thread: "We are the mastering masters". Still makes me laugh :emotawesomepm9:

Boc had "Semena Mertvykh" in mono if i remember, maybe it's also 1-track-deal. Or all tracks mastered differently, thats also will be cool i think

This is what Sean said about the choice in spacial imaging in LP5, wonder if Tom was going for something similar - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa-ask-autechre-anything-sean-and-rob-on-watmm/page-21?do=findComment&comment=2084143

arent you referring to the page before that, page 20?

sg, i like mister e's theory on the stereo deal. actually it's pretty awesome. stereo imaging is kind of a tired gimmick in a sense.

are you suggesting tom forgot about channels, or didnt feel like bothering with them?

regarding mastering, i find it interesting and cool. it has shape but solidity, too.

I get his theory yeah, but why does it have to hurt people's ears?

Ufabulum had it's moments but there are so many parts that physically hurt my ears, and it sounds brickwalled. I'm not the only one either!

I have no idea what Tom was thinking but as a concept/art, brickwalled and painful doesn't work for me. Those kinds of things are enough to put me off an album, I'm sure there are others like me...

:sad:

edit: and I don't think I agree with you about stereo imaging being tired or a gimmick! I wish more albums were produced in 5.1 actually lol it's really trippy especially with some audio enhancing drugs.

I think it's a shame to fill a thread with what amounts to whining as if it would have some effect on the next release when all that will happen by using hostile words like 'drivel' and 'awful' is the opposite, so even if, after I've seen the live show twice in March and rinsed the LP a few times - even if I think it is awful drivel I probably just won't buy it /listen to it / rave about it and that will be my protest.

That's nice.

Why have a music discussion forum without music discussion? What would you prefer we talk about in this thread about that album?

Would you prefer that only people that have nice things to say about that track, speak? Want me to shit out a rainbow at the same time?

We are discussing the track we've heard, I don't see anything wrong with that. And discussing concepts like stereo imaging and mastering is certainly not "whining".

This is what Sean said about the choice in spacial imaging in LP5, wonder if Tom was going for something similar - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa-ask-autechre-anything-sean-and-rob-on-watmm/page-21?do=findComment&comment=2084143

arent you referring to the page before that, page 20?

Nah it was when I brought up how come lots of LP5 were really mono.

me - there are multiple tracks in LP5 that are almost entirely in mono - was this a conscious decision to concentrate on harmonic and rhythmical content rather than spatial imaging ?

sean - yeah exactly, across a different dimension

I'm with Stephen. I see no point of having music forum if you can only post asslicking comments. Why you can critisize other artists and music makers, but not pusher? Is he something special?

Someone said that Tom "tested and pushed his fans to limits" with every different release. Well, if he is doing that for real, he should have been ready for some critics or people that don't get it.

I'm with Stephen. I see no point of having music forum if you can only post asslicking comments. Why you can critisize other artists and music makers, but not pusher? Is he something special?

Someone said that Tom "tested and pushed his fans to limits" with every different release. Well, if he is doing that for real, he should have been ready for some critics or people that don't get it.

To be honest, the last time a squarepusher album tested or challenged me was Ultravisitor. Some parts of 50 cycles and the savagery of tracks like steinbolt or menelec blended elements of music/non-music in an amazing way. Hello Everything I found amazing but it was very deliberately written with less improvisation than say, go plastic/ultravisitor era tracks. Hello Everything didn't really have a lot of "non music" (sorry I sound like a douche here, I don't know what else to call it...) parts to it, except maybe the washout/mixdown at the end of plotinus?

I get that Squarepusher may be trying to get back to that style by using similar elements as he used in his back catalogue but I don't think it's nearly as well executed. When you strip down the dynamics and imaging it's just not a complete track, IMO. If that rayc fire track was changed just a little bit, with some imaging and other interesting things, it would be 10 times the tune and I'd probably really enjoy it.

That said, I really enjoyed the Running Man track from the warp show, I hope there are tracks of that style on the album.

=)

Jus' sayin' ..

Whining and getting pissed off in a Squarepusher thread amounts to the same thing as ass licking: nothing.

Discussion can be had without glowing references or vitrol.

Mastering and stereo imagine is fucking cool as fuck tho innit, going to have way more effect on the world than spewing bare itive words

Fair enough, my apologies. I'll try not to be so inflammatory. I was just a little emotive on the subject because he really is my favorite artist.. I know what he's capable of so when things like shoobadooby one or this rayc fire track come out it upsets me. I'm an entitled little brat I know. cheers

:beer:

Anyhow, without coming to the conclusion that he's deaf or mad or listens to too much Skrillex [it was AFX who in an interview says (out of new releases) he nearly purely listens to dubstep (why not?)] WHY does it go through this sound palette?

Listening to every other 'EDM' release ever, even 'EDM' influenced pop and rock, there is a thick heavy unreal sounding drum sound with super bass workouts and even thicker lead synths.

This year we've heard AFX release some self miced / recorded / played drum sounds which were heavy - and in old Pusher stuff he had some pretty thick recorded drum sounds [iambic 9 Poetry has a heavier kit than anything of recent and is a chillout tune].

So what is going on with this artistic choice lol I wanna know before I start assuming his Euphonix desk sounds like this and he uses the same eq plugin for everything seeing as the Music for Robots EP had the same sound and was played by robots on a different kit.

Is Tom Jenkinson really going deaf or mad or noshing off Skrillox or are I going to eat my own ears?

he really is my favorite artist..

. I'm an entitled little brat I know.

:beer:

I'm in the same club, wearing a Ufabulum t-shirt right now which I paid for [but not the album] so I dunno what that says about me! But, I did give it a good go and the live show was pretty lush even if I couldn't stand at the front sniffing ketamine and shouting "STEINBOLT!!!" at the top of my lungs but it's been a long time since them days fam :( .

Anyhow, without coming to the conclusion that he's deaf or mad or listens to too much Skrillex [it was AFX who in an interview says (out of new releases) he nearly purely listens to dubstep (why not?)]

i know you probably didnt mean that sril=dubstep here, as it looks, it's just one little point I'd like to add (thread unrelated):

"Skirleks is not dubstep". Not even remotly close. Dubstep was something waaay different, dark, awesome when it started, it hasnt to do with anything of steryotype wub-wub bullshit over pop lyrics or farting brostep , that people now associate term with. :sad:

Archived