IGNORED

‘Damogen Furies’ will be released via Warp Records 20 April. Download ‘Rayc Fire 2’ at squarepusher.net

Aphex_Squarepusher_Twin

Anyhow, without coming to the conclusion that he's deaf or mad or listens to too much Skrillex [it was AFX who in an interview says (out of new releases) he nearly purely listens to dubstep (why not?)]

i know you probably didnt mean that sril=dubstep here, as it looks, it's just one little point I'd like to add (thread unrelated):

"Skirleks is not dubstep". Not even remotly close. Dubstep was something waaay different, dark, awesome when it started, it hasnt to do with anything of steryotype wub-wub bullshit over pop lyrics or farting brostep , that people now associate term with. :sad:

dubstep-> 2005-> hyperdub Kode9

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Squarepusher we need a title for your new album sir

*SP jerks his head around, staring at a ceiling tile slightly to the right of the warp exec standing about him*

DEM OCEAN FURRIES

Mr. Pusher I'm sorry I don't understand sir

*SP gestures wildly at an old piece of cardboard on which he has sketched a crude dolphin*

DEM OCEAN FURRIES TOOK MAH GOLD

Sir please you used your gold to buy robots, we told y-

DEM OCEAN FURRIES COMIN' T'TAKE MAH GOLD

*SP begins to shake back & forth*

KWANG BASS, KWANG BASS

Oh God, Shannon, come quick. I think he's soiled himself

*later at the bbc*

SP: yes i smoke crack

^ this + I always found Tom very courageous not being scared of doing something new every time even tho he knew it would piss most of his fans off.

That's part of the appeal of a new SP release to me :)

"i hope he uses the amen break again soon" (seriously watmm, wtf).

Haha, I say that simply because no one has made such masterpieces with the amen break but Squarepusher. He's definitely the king of it, and I totally respect him for wanting to move on.

^ this + I always found Tom very courageous not being scared of doing something new every time even tho he knew it would piss most of his fans off.

"i hope he uses the amen break again soon" (seriously watmm, wtf).

Haha, I say that simply because no one has made such masterpieces with the amen break but Squarepusher. He's definitely the king of it, and I totally respect him for wanting to move on.

Yeah. I mean, god forbid we want an artist to do something that they're naturally good at.

That's really weird that we'd want an artist to do what they're good at instead of something they're not good at.

Next up: watmm demands lady gaga does a jungle track. Wait, she's not good at making amen breaks and that doesn't make any sense. huh.

:cerious::cisfor:

Yeah. I mean, come on people. Tom has been testing and pushing his fans, not giving what they want, doing completely other things, ever since 1998 with Music Is The Rotted One Note. I don't like over half of Just A Souvenir, the Vacuum Tracks EP pissed me off, and the D'demonstrator thing just left me cold. But I'll just say "oh well" and await what he will do next. But I'll never say stuff like "why doesnt he make a new Hard Normal Daddy", or "i hope he uses the amen break again soon" (seriously watmm, wtf). It's like some "fans" here just don't understand Squarepusher at all. Have they not been paying close attention?

No, you don't have to like the new SP track. You don't have to like it at all. But don't act all emotional like it's the very first time Tom did a thing you don't like. Some really exaggerate their negative opinions a little bit too much, and draw the wrong conclusions, like "he's completely lost it now" (which is what people have been saying since 98 I reckon). And some are just saying plain stupid stuff like "he is obviously trying to get the attention of the EDM crowd".

Personally, I think the idea of doing an album with all tracks done in one take with no editing is very interesting. And I find the track interesting too. This shit's more interesting than that Vacuum tracks EP. Seriously, fuck that EP. Fuck it till it bleeds. No amen at all in there. wtf tom srsly

You contradict yourself in this post so much it's painful.

"respect squrepushin because he just does what he wants"

"screw you guys for expecting something out of squarepusher he does what he wants"

"fuck the vacuum tracks ep cause it was different htan what I want even though he did it because he wanted to do it"

"I expected something other than vacuum tracks from squarepusher so fuck that release"

wow that's literally what a bunch of us are saying about this rayc fire 2 track, but we're wrong?

Edit: unless you're somehow being sarcastic in which case, you need to practice your sarcasm man. I need to practice identifying sarcasm/capriciousness.

edit: and I don't think I agree with you about stereo imaging being tired or a gimmick! I wish more albums were produced in 5.1 actually lol it's really trippy especially with some audio enhancing drugs.

yeah soundstage or whatever is cool. i only meant it's a tired gimmick "in a sense," it's not like i think it needs to be abandoned, but one album sidestepping it is more than welcome, especially if its done by someone who can utilize the benefits that mr e was talking about.

and if it hurts your ears turn your volume down!

maybe the point of a 'one take' internal music system/workflow he setup was to achieve overly polished 24 hour coke fueled EDM studio sessions but in real time instead of through lots of painful manual labor.

also after that one excitebike track he seems perhaps overly(?) fixated on that atari/nes style motor sound, like almost every synth he uses now has that harsh 8-bit buzzsaw sound. How could he possibly be that into such a sound? it makes no sense to me.

Id be interested to hear more music using this 'system' that isn't so concentrated on these overwhelming bombastic chord progressions, for me it takes away completely what could potentially be a new updated Go Plastic style sound for him

Id be interested to hear more music using this 'system' that isn't so concentrated on these overwhelming bombastic chord progressions, for me it takes away completely what could potentially be a new updated Go Plastic style sound for him

What did you think of the Running Man track for the warp 1 radio show? (aside from the compression)

Even though it used some of the same sound palette you're referring to, I actually was very pleased with that track.

Mr. Squarepusher we need a title for your new album sir

*SP jerks his head around, staring at a ceiling tile slightly to the right of the warp exec standing about him*

DEM OCEAN FURRIES

Mr. Pusher I'm sorry I don't understand sir

*SP gestures wildly at an old piece of cardboard on which he has sketched a crude dolphin*

DEM OCEAN FURRIES TOOK MAH GOLD

Sir please you used your gold to buy robots, we told y-

DEM OCEAN FURRIES COMIN' T'TAKE MAH GOLD

*SP begins to shake back & forth*

KWANG BASS, KWANG BASS

Oh God, Shannon, come quick. I think he's soiled himself

*later at the bbc*

SP: yes i smoke crack

shaking with suppressed laughter (swsl)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I don't like these tracks very much.

He used to do a lot of amen programming with real gear

delia_derbyshire_editing.jpg

now it's all software and computers and shit

I don't mind TJ going for dat Big Cheezy with his melodies; I think 4001/Ecstatic Shart did it in a very entertaining manner. Unreal Square pushed it more'n a little, but fuck, it's Squarepusher and appropriation of actual shit tropes is part of the MO. That was all over Go Plastic, too, despite historical rosey lenses now being applied to various junglisms. I get it, really.

But Ufab and this track have like the world's least punchy drum sounds in tracks that are largely percussion driven, and I don't get that. Throw the drums here in place of any percussion on drukqs, Go Plastic, Ultravisitor, etc, and those tracks too would sound slight. And the mastering on Tom's recent stuff makes it so turning volume up or down to adjust dynamics to personal preferences doesn't work, at all. Maybe they really are just aimed at loud PA playback.

Also: re: mono: Ae have done it brilliantly many, many times over, to the point that most folks are surprised to find out a given Ae track isn't doing much with stereo imaging. Rayc Fire 2 sounds like something is actually missing. Maybe it is? I mean, maybe it's mixed to mono as a pre-release sampler as some kind of incentive to shell out for the final product? Which would be absolutely weird marketing, but it just sounds off, at least on headphones. Dunno.

Tom can and should do whatever works for Tom regardless of fan tastes, etc., I just don't really feel the new stuff sonically, personally.

Will still check out the album, of course, even if I don't end up totally loving it.

I am excited about this record, I never know if I'm going to like a Squarepusher record or not. But it's always fun finding out. And I'd definitely go and see him live if I got the chance. The live jamming he did with the electric bass on the Ufabulum tour was amazing. It got really close to just being pure noise, but then there'd be a funky bassline buried in there somewhere.

I'm not complaining or praising Damogen until I get to hear it, but I just realized that it's coming out on Record Store Day. I hope that doesn't mean there's going to be some exclusive version released for that mess. Last year I waited for like an hour just to get that 10TPN 12" and I had to leave before I got it. Luckily they didn't sell any of them and I was able to get one the next day. Those special editions are only in stores too, you can't get them on Amazon or Bleep. Damn you RSD, I want my Squarepusher on the day it comes out!

I keep listening to Rayc Fire and I'm loving it. I see where everyone is coming from, and it's not "punchy" at all, it's loud in weird places, soft in others, you can hear a faint amen in places... it's weird and I can understand why the lot of you aren't enjoying it... But I think it's banging. Stor Eiglass (if that radio track really is it) was ill, and if the whole album sounds like these tracks, I'm going to be a very happy Squarepusher fan.

Archived