IGNORED

‘Damogen Furies’ will be released via Warp Records 20 April. Download ‘Rayc Fire 2’ at squarepusher.net

Aphex_Squarepusher_Twin

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently went thru the whole 'Pusher discography again in chronological order. Damogen Furies is certainly one of my all time favourites by him at this point. I thought over the spring and summer it was great, but now… I would say it is indeed one of his best. I love the unrelenting aspect to it. I feel because of this, 44 minutes is a perfect play length. Up until now I had only listened to the vinyl on my subpar speaker set up, but last night I finally ripped my cd to WAV files, and pumped them thru my headphones laying down in the dark. It was glorious. I did invert the tracklisting to match the vinyl. I haven't listened to the CD order of the tracks, and don't think I really care to. I love the way D Frozent Aac sucks you in and how Stor Eiglass blasts you out. THere was so much I was missing… I'M sure the vinyl sounds just as esscellent but, as I mentioned the speakers they play thru are by no means hi-fi. My HD-25s did this justice and I have found a whole new love for this album. Def one of the most undertalked about/under rated electronic albums of the year. Really suprised only 37 pages on this thread.
Every flippen track is a beauty. My favs are D Frozent Aac, Kwang Bass, Baltang Arg, Baltang Ort. That's not to say the others are any less either. At first the only track I was on the fense aout was Kontenjaz but after listening last night and hearing the full spectrum of sounds… love that one too!

Wish I could see him live again soon.

Squarepusher is my favorite artist, but I don't listen to him too often. His music leaves an impact on me the first time I hear it so to over do it is to lose that initial impression. It's a treat so you don't want something super good everyday. And he's been an inspiration for me to make music since 2000.

Now I'm going to listen to Syro by afx again. I like coming back to the music and it sounding different, or also sparking old memories.

I love the unrelenting aspect to it. I feel because of this, 44 minutes is a perfect play length.

Yup. That's what I like too. DF demands that you have to sit and listen to this and concentrate on the sounds. So it suits home listening with no distractions. If you blink you'll miss a shed load of goodness!

Hmm.. there's a lot to like in DF but overall i think its a bit overly bombastic, continuing the Ufabulum style and expanding it none-the-less. Looking forward to it live though as i think the man is best live.

For sit-down listens i prefer ultravisitor and those before it ..more twisted dark and less high-end glossy if you know what i mean

I love Ultravisitor. I find it to be his finest album. It's a masterpiece. And I agree, tho i have only seen Mr Jenkinson play live once, his music definitely lends itself to live settings. Because I was introduced to him as a live performer, during his Ufabulum tour, whenever i hear Ufabulum, I picture the live show in Detroit. Damogen Furies also has that sound, but I guess it's something I can listen to more because it's shorter, and overall a more solid album IMO. It is more bombastic and intense, but something about that is oddly pleasing and satisfying to me. At least in the mood I've been in lately, especially like it at night with the cold weather, as it is largely a darker album. At this point, I think it's one of his best, or one of my favourites.

Well I gave it a full run through on the crisp autumn drive on my way home last nite....its definitely growing on me - i'm "getting it" more and more - find my brain dancing more than ever - typical Squarepusher really!

Stor Eiglass is a phenomenal closer! I might have to try that out. Kwang Bass as opener? or wait, what is the second track in that case? It would start off with Baltang Ort? I feel Baltang Ort is such an awesome second last track tho! This idea does intrigue me, however.

I guess for me the album has this dark feeling at times mainly cos I have often listened at night in the dark. and the cover to me is dark... Tom's face, (or your face) is being shredded by the Damogen Furies coming in from all directions. I suppose it isn't completely dark tho... and I don't necessarily mean dark in the sense it feels depressing or evil, more so the sound palate. I think it does work in extremes. i find there to be a good balance of dark and bright sounds. Obviously there is more to just bright and dark on the album... but if i were to break them down for my ears...

Dark Tracks:

D Frozent Aac
Kwang Bass
Rayc Fire 2
Baltang Ort

Bright Tracks:

Baltang Arg
Exjag Nives
Kontenjaz
Stor Eiglas

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so sorry my ipod died and i couldn't record the set at the Troxy - hopefully it will appear in full somewhere.

Set - list:

Usual DM set but without "Baltang Ort" which was a bummer. Some nice tweaking here and there including little extensions and extra breaks. The sound was amazing (Palo Alto was right!) as was the light show which was played back on a stack of two double screens set at angles to look like a stack of two cubes. A steady video of TJ doing his thing in front of them would be awesome! The encore was after a 5 minutes of wall-of-noise feedback drone which was excellent - maskless too.

I danced like a loon for the whole thing.

Encore

- Hello Meow

- Venus No. 17

- Steinbolt

- Modern Bass guitar

- Tetra sync

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Exjag NIves,Blatang Org,Kwang bass are all top tracks.Its a very good album.I like it quite a bit more than Ufabulum.Its like a Ufabulum upgrade.

The only thing that bugs me:Its too damn short!!!43 minutes or something!!?? I WANT MORE!!!

this album is aging nicely

Agreed. Gave it lots of listens over my vacation and enjoyed every minute of it.

The mastering on Exjag still bothers my ears though. Some of the tracks on here are top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my hands on this release. Skimmed a couple of songs so far, but 'D Fronzent Aac' has been on repeat all morning. It's really nice blend between 90's Tom and 2010's Tom. It has more 'warmth' to me than the Shobaleader One and Ufuabulum stuff for some reason. The sound in both those records was so clean it actually became uncomfortable to listen to after only a few tracks.

yes, D Fronzent Aac is awesome. reminds me of stuff from selection sixteen, which I've been listening to a lot lately..

• 1 month later...

Squarepusher more or less suffered the same fate as all those mid 90's atmospheric jungle/intelligent drum and bass artists.

To want an artist of the caliber of Tom to make music in the exact same style for 20 year is fucking brutal!!

You know how bored out of his mind Tom would be if he only did Go Spastic/Jungle stuff since the 90s?

He is not some shit pop star making music like its a fucking table,like a carpenter or something!

Repeating the same shit ,creating the same shit everyday of his live,like a machine!

He is a creator,a music maker,to repeat himself endlessly would kill him,its basically asking for artistic suicide!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived