IGNORED

‘Damogen Furies’ will be released via Warp Records 20 April. Download ‘Rayc Fire 2’ at squarepusher.net

Aphex_Squarepusher_Twin

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The man is out of ideas. Simply creatively bankrupt. The actual sound of this single might be tricky to replicate, but the composition is just so uninspired and boring. Sounds like one of my own attempts at making complex beats, ironically trying to mimmic the SP from the golden days. I'm not holding my breath for this release.

I thought Music for robots was nice and fresh composition wise. The melodies, harmonic layerings were all very nice and seemed like a good direction for him to be going in writing wise. Not all over the new single but I hope there'll be a few gems on the album.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The preview was better than the whole track IMO. It left me thinking that it was the end result of a build-up similar to say cockv10... but sadly it is pretty much the entire song. Still looking foward to hearing the rest of the tracks.

I think it’s wicked. The sound design, mixing, and whole track concept is such a mind-fuck, truly Squarepusher-esque.

It’s not even purely aggro—that’s oversimplifying it. It’s like a very angry squirrel in a tiny box or something. And good catch on the mostly mono sound as well. Same deal with the really tiny break in the back poking up near the beginning—just like, weird fucking shit.

What’s the deal with the whole “Unique image ID” aspect of the download? Are the files different somehow?

My image ID is 41781f96a38bae4 and the md5 of the mp3 is d78ceb57897b6136185805004a0367db

EDIT: oh, wait. I wonder if they literally mean the image in the id3 tag. Is that the whole deal?

Yeah, I thought it was awesome, sounds like one unified sound generator, with exception of the feedback/screeching sound in the background (which I didn't really care for, but hey whatever).

I love how someone on the watmm facebook page said it sounded stale.. I'm guessing the same person would have fucking ejaculated if he released another amen jungle track instead :rolleyes:

Guest bitroast

It's as if he just said "Fuck it! I'll just do whatever at this point."

Half right :)

You've just summed up exactly what i like about squarepusher !

(Apologies for selective quoting)

I'm guessing the same person would have fucking ejaculated if he released another amen jungle track instead :rolleyes:

yes more amens please >=(

edit: I'm half joking. I liked ufababoon it was a good album. I just wish we'd get an album with some of his old style savage breaks and bleepy bloopy electronics.

Guest bitroast

first listen on speakers and holy shit this track is amaazing. pure stripped back uber energy from this rad fm sounding digital synth and banging drums and reverby screeching. fucking. rad. xxx !!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The man is out of ideas. Simply creatively bankrupt. The actual sound of this single might be tricky to replicate, but the composition is just so uninspired and boring. Sounds like one of my own attempts at making complex beats, ironically trying to mimmic the SP from the golden days. I'm not holding my breath for this release.

squarepusher composes music for the rush, the adaptation, and the general backwardness of the act

squarepusher composes music for the rush, the adaptation, and the general backwardness of the act

lol

Seems like TJ has been taking himself too seriously since 2001. Hello Everything was decent tho.

Just finished listening to that Rayc Fire 2 or whatever it's called. It's obviously too early to rate and review anything, but having 4-20 as a release date is like wearing a flat-bill cap and a gallon of AXE body spray. But I'll stop here.

lol

lol

Squarepusher is not dead and still has very good ideas. It's just that it's not always available: it still demonstrated a greater openness to musical influences. He will touch everything and even to transform everything... This guy is a genius and very few of you recognize him because his music is not "i like" or "I don't like" but to seek its influences to understand where he's gone. This is a very complex styles musician and I repeat, it's not always easy to follow him: he never sought to be accessible. He always wants to go further musically.

Rayc Fire 2 is a fascinating way. At first listen, I wondered what it is that thing... Then I listened to it again because I thought he did not do this as the first single for nothing. And finally, I ended up loving it: it may be a continuation of Ufabulum, but it goes much further than that. It still has that saturated sound, but there is a very serious melody that sounds more like a bass solo in his well electronics. And drums that seem close snares rush at times. I love, I have never heard of a similar track to this one...

Throughout his career, Squarepusher has engaged with two distinct traditions in particular: that of Miles Davis-school jazz, and that of dance music. On Damogen Furies those two traditions intersect and interact, synthesised into a record that often straddles nightmarish drill ‘n’ bass and the early work of electric jazz pioneers. For example on ‘Kontenjaz’ or ‘Baltang Arg’, a virtuosic melodicism sits atop macabre, unearthly percussion, a middle finger to all those who believe that musicianship is the preserve of the defanged conservatoire.

Damogen Furies is a record that has the brutal energy and vivaciousness of a debut. It sees the peak and confluence of the preoccupations that have emerged throughout Squarepusher’s career, approached with the antagonism and audacity of an artist who still believes in the power of the intervention.

source : http://soundcolourvibration.com/2015/02/18/squarepusher-damogen-furies/

Yeh sound like its gonna be Ufabulum 2

And this single sounds like its "dark steering". which i like but this is a lot worse

But i want more "drax2", "the mettelurgist" and "exstatic shock" vibes if it is part two,

I seriously doubt we'll EVER get those Warp20 tracks :(

Archived