IGNORED

Hudson Mohawke - Lantern

jhonny

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the new HudMo PC Music?Just came back from visiting the PC Music thread for the first time....and this sounds like it. Good lord I need to rinse my ears out.

So is the new HudMo PC Music?Just came back from visiting the PC Music thread for the first time....and this sounds like it. Good lord I need to rinse my ears out.

I like PC Music and i think it's better than the two lantern single/teasers.

I like PC Music and i think it's better than the two lantern single/teasers.

this...unfortunately :sad:

I guess now it's safe to say his best was his first, Hudson's Heeters vol.1 from 2006. When i heard it i was like, man, that's shit properly fucked up, a couple of years on and nothing's left of that.

Yeah, this is def my favorite of his, seems to not get talked about enough relative to his other stuff.

damn i've never even heard hudson heaters before. pretty amazing stuff, definitely a cut above most of the LA beat scene stuff as far as being daring and just plain weird as fuck. There is some nice breath/dynamic range in some of the earlier Hudson Mohawke music that is completely omitted from most other stuff like it which usually is so fucking compressed it has that inescapable 'sound' very reminiscent of everything else in the genre, not this stuff though.

put yourself in his shoes though, if you had an avant garde edge to your productions at such an early age and got plucked up by mainstream top 10 R&b/hip hop artists its like which 'way' do you go after that? I think probably 99% of people out there would not continue on an avant-garde or weird trajectory unfortunately. C.R.E.A.M.

unless you're Bjork or a handful of other already very established 'weird' musicians, it doesn't help ones career to be just faithfully carving out your own path without giving much of a fuck about outside trends, and even most established 'weird' musicians have to rely on whatever 'weird' trend is happening at the time to find their own voice ie: flaming lips, bjork, animal collective, etc.

For some inexplicable reason i really like the full version of Ryderz, maybe 'cause after the first blast there's the gritty voice tuned down + an fm melody. Now it makes sense as an epic sgrakkio tune.

Guest WNS000

This guy is going to earn some serious money, that is without doubt. He is a hit maker with a "trade-mark sound". I think charts will love him. Maybe he now wants to concentrate on building his money-earning part of his career and experiment later when he's safe and well-established. It would be understandable if he's having big opportunities in the business.

It would be nice if he had an experimental side-project where he would realize his more adventurous approaches.*

*Btw, is this conditional sentence correct in English? I have problems with conditionals, thanks.

• 1 month later...

thoughts on this (leaked) album: CHEESE. sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. feats are quite bad in my opinion. too bad cause I can still hear his great musical sensibility under all these cheesy toppings. maybe he used too many drugs but either way it feels like he genuinely likes these tunes - there is some sort of child-like excitement popping out of the songs. so I guess he didn't do it for success but more for his own taste even tho his taste doesn't quite compute with mine. no harm done

After seeing that this album had featured artists on it, it kind of put me back a bit.

Agreed with above^ that Hudson's Heeters is his best. One of the building blocks on that LA beat scene for sure alongside Rap Beats vol. 1, 1983/Los Angeles, Pet Sounds: The Key of Dee and Donuts.

I may check this out but I fear for it.

• 3 weeks later...

god damnit i just listened and I can't fucking believe it took him 6 years after butter to release pile of shit.. sounds uninspired and just like a bajillion other artists right now. hudmo has the chops why is he doing this sugar water bullshit. i agree kinda like PC music but like, why. There are a few bangers but honestly that's not even what i was hoping for, because he's been dropping EPs and did TNGHT so like, i wanted some fucked up music. This was more disappointing that rusties green language... I'm so sad

It would be nice if he had an experimental side-project where he would realize his more adventurous approaches.*

*Btw, is this conditional sentence correct in English? I have problems with conditionals, thanks.

I think it'd be "could" instead of "would."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got bored about 4 track in or so. Glad to see I'm not alone. The Tiny Mixtapes review was a relief, seems to be getting equally stale and dull positive reviews elsewhere.

• Kettles is kind of neat
  • System is a taste of what I hoped to see more of, but underwhelming in its simplicity
  • Deepspace's chord progressions are mildly interesting
  • Lantern is a cool intro

This album sucks. I think it sucks less than Rustie's Green Language did. I had to put on Polyfolk Dance later and had a "Hudson what are you doing?" moment.

If you like HudMo's old sound and never caught his collab with Mike Slott, it's great. Heralds of Change - Puzzles stands up to Heeters and Polyfolk.

Very disappointing album, the worst thing is that when you listen to it you can hear that it could easily be so much better, brief moments of awesomeness and great ideas hidden in a wall of mediocrity. The guy is incredibly talented, but it's mostly wasted.

Archived