IGNORED

Holly Herndon - Platform

andihow

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what to think fo the cover tho.

shit man. i really like it.

Part of me is just a bit bothered by the blatantly cheap photoshop drop shadow effects, particulary in those gaps around her face. Creates a bothersome "glow" to me. There's no reason to use that, imo.

Yeah I'm a bit tired of the vaporwave aesthetic, or whatever kids are calling that ironically amateur 1990s look these days.

amazing live! if u have the chance dont miss out

also tleakd

Good to hear; just bought tickets for her DC show.

yuuuusssss going to see her in brooklyn in june. very excited.

• 2 weeks later...

You can listen to Platform in full here:

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/10/404661146/first-listen-holly-herndon-platform

What is it with NPR and first listen exclusivities these days? Squarepusher, Herndon, Faith No More...

i've done bit a of prying (since they used to live here in SF) to figure out how Holly got both features on NPR

Matt if you're reading this Hi *waves*

just got a chance to listen to it for the first time. really good. it's a surprisingly dense and busy record. Definitely more on the 'difficult' side for casual electronic music listeners than her last LP. Parts of it even remind of me of OPN and matmos which i did not expect.

Same here, finally had a chance to check it out since I have killed my soul / started using Spotify since yesterday.

In short: this is very deece. Have to give this a few more plays, a lot of good stuff going on that didn't sink in as easily as the two 'singles' Chorus and Home, but an enjoyable first listen nonetheless.

Yeah had a first listen last night and sound very nice indeed and think it will open up even more on repeat listens.

I've only got into her stuff recently and been really enjoying Movement as well but this seems like a big step forward from that album.

This album is spectacular. I loved Movement, but this one tops it in every way. Interference, Chorus, and An Exit are brilliant tracks. Definitely one of the best records I've heard so far this year.

Guest bitroast

Yes! Was being tad sarcastic ofc!! (altho i have to admit to personally becoming aware of holly herndon through his mentioning of her music, and being aphex twin focused forum theres the extremely realistic possiblity that others reading this are in similar position. was not meant at all to discredit her current acclaim^^)

Texture-wise, this sounds like a 50 minute ASMR braingasm; melodically, this is a little underwhelming.

I agree with what you have just said. There's a lot of stuff out now that has the most amazing textures and ideas - but I really need melody/anticipation/structure to hold my interest. Maybe that's just the result of years of musical conditioning though.

thirded

Texture-wise, this sounds like a 50 minute ASMR braingasm; melodically, this is a little underwhelming.

I agree with what you have just said. There's a lot of stuff out now that has the most amazing textures and ideas - but I really need melody/anticipation/structure to hold my interest. Maybe that's just the result of years of musical conditioning though.

Guest bitroast

Im feeling that too !!

Really wanna sink into the album and give it more time (mainly cos i already paid and orderes the record .. I liked the singles!!) so i want to like it !! But .. It seems hard to like :/

Archived