IGNORED

Holly Herndon - Platform

andihow

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't like it, it lacks subtlety and it's very shallow, the sonic palette is very limited. sounds a bit like last amon tobin album, those hd sounds and big bass and big beats just keep on pounding and pounding without purpose.

another thought: maybe it's just something to do with her trying very hard to be experimental and innovative that makes the whole experience pretty unmusical in my view.

it's like she's much more interested in exploring some concepts sonically than actually expressing something from/of herself.

yeah i think i pretty much nailed it for myself why i don't like this sort of stuff. and now i keep reading about how those concepts are all kinds of typical "i'm a mid-20's liberal™ idiot from cali" ideas and it makes me dislike it even more.

yeah idk... i mean literally the album is full of like 10,000 melody (long and short riffs too) and it sounds very very much like she's expressing all sorts of things. maybe you guys are listening to a different album, ;P hoho fuck all you dummyboys

This... just gave the album another listen and fair enough peope not liking it but the fucker is well full of melody! Would understand criticism like that for movment but I find this album really warm and melodic..but its different strokes for different folks I guess!

i don't like the way she looks. her eyes are too bright and she probably walks to the grocery store.

i don't like people who are apologists for and who work in the natural gas fracking industry aka you fyi

R Plus 7 for 2015

If you guys hate your copies please sell them to me, I am cheap and don't want to buy the CD from her bandcamp with high postage (seriously why no just download? Why not take advantage of the digital...platform?)

i don't like the way she looks. her eyes are too bright and she probably walks to the grocery store.

i don't like people who are apologists for and who work in the natural gas fracking industry aka you fyi

if i saw you IRL i'd hug you and not let go. the video will be featured on RT

R Plus 7 for 2015

If you guys hate your copies please sell them to me, I am cheap and don't want to buy the CD from her bandcamp with high postage (seriously why no just download? Why not take advantage of the digital...platform?)

exactly...

Yeah I found it really weird she didnt sell digital on bandcamp esp when I had read an interview where she talked about the redundancy of physical media... tho maybe it was a record label decision rather than hers?

I love her face :wub:

Yeah I found it really weird she didnt sell digital on bandcamp esp when I had read an interview where she talked about the redundancy of physical media... tho maybe it was a record label decision rather than hers?

There's a digital release up on Bleep...maybe they were waiting for that? Maybe she just wanted to sell off her vinyls / cds first, before allowing digital only? No idea, but it can't be an accident.

don't like it, it lacks subtlety and it's very shallow, the sonic palette is very limited. sounds a bit like last amon tobin album, those hd sounds and big bass and big beats just keep on pounding and pounding without purpose.

Yeah, definitely agree; it just becomes tiring when all these sample beats and bass pulses keep firing. Clark gives me this vibe sometimes too; just too much thrown at the listener and nothing seems to stick, as impressive as all the sounds may be.

I realize there are melodies on here guys.. Maybe I've yet to grasp this album's goal (should albums have goals?). Usually it's relatively easy for me to calibrate myself and my expectations, but Platform is tripping me up. "Chorus" was my 2014 TOTY; I absolutely love it. I think I expected more of those compact / somewhat traditional song structure tunes on Platform, which is why I feel like I'm left with a lot less substance on tracks like "Interference", "Locker Leak", "DAO" (although +1 for the racecar orgasms), and "New Ways to Love". I didn't really like "Home" when it was first released, but it has become one of my favorites on the album because of its relative catchy-ness.

With Car and Movement, it was easier to orient myself and prepare for some tasty experimental listening with a side of bangers (sans mash). I just don't know how to do the same for Platform. I didn't like Replica the first few times I listened to it, so who knows, this could turn out to be a favorite of mine. I'm also seeing her next Wednesday, so that may help me get my head around the release.

she probably walks to the grocery store.

lol'd hard

R Plus 7 for 2015

question answered at 1:21:52

if i saw you IRL i'd hug you and not let go. the video will be featured on RT

I love me some of that WATMM beef.

Cool album. Agree with the R+7 comparison,.

Archived