IGNORED

Prententious hipster overload

Npoess

Also.. the hotel has it's own bikeshop, café and tattooist (lolol)

and nowadays you can encounter this kind of asshole in every city, in every country. Thanks globalization.

I was just about to post how this looks exactly like every new and renovated business, district, and neighborhood in Austin, TX. That saddens me. The hyped new developments in a Texan city looking almost identical to those in Scandinavia. That's crazy. So much of new development in Austin, which has always had this ethos and rep of being odd, liberal leaning, counter-culture friendly, and heavy on art and music, looks just like new parts of Dallas or Houston or San Antonio and any other top 50 city in the U.S. that isn't in the rust belt, only with someone figuratively placing a decal that says "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" and "LIVE MUSIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" so it's "different." If we put a armadillo logo on it, or place cactus plants outside, it'll be authentic!

It's not so much the aesthetics or products or whatever but the bullshit ethos that it's truly unique and local and fitting to the place at hand. It's alarming and absurd how similar this "indie" and "authentic" ventures look the same everywhere. Same with new homes and townhomes, especially in East Austin where a lot of the pre-war and post-war bungalos and garden homes (which are actually quaint, old, and vintage) are often scrapped for modern boxy 3 story behemoths that look plucked straight out of California...well hell, actually most of the people buying and building them are from Cali.

wololo faux boho

(this commercial drives home a lot of the points in the somewhat crummy book "nation of rebels" fwiw)

AKA The Rebel Sell, right?

Also, is post-rock now adopted by hipster culture?

It always ways.

It makes sense, derivative MOR faux epic instrumental rock just pairs so well with this crap.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* this video is so hipster it hurts... could very well be an urban outfitters commercial as well

Also, is post-rock now adopted by hipster culture?

are you kidding me? hipsters LOVE post-rock... the more ridiculous the band name the better

i also like some post-rock

A bike shop at a hotel would be p nice, actually. I'm sure you'd get raked over the coals, but anything that pushes cycling gets me throbbing.

To my knowledge lots of hotels in Scandinavia rent bicycles. I've seen them in Finland.

Edit: It's really handy. I rented bikes in Amsterdam from the camping ground with my ex and just used them to get around the city.

Err, I always thought the aesthetic was just skinny jeans and anything cheap yet fashionable (often from a second-hand store). If you spend a lot of money on the look, you're just a yuppy.

The definition of "hipster" is constantly changing, and there's no real consensus on what one is. Ask ten different people and you're going to get ten different definitions in varying degrees. It's kind of a dumb topic.

A bike shop at a hotel would be p nice, actually. I'm sure you'd get raked over the coals, but anything that pushes cycling gets me throbbing.

:beer:

I want to like him but something about him strikes me as very effected and douchey. He's like some kind of creepy hippie

My thoughts exactly. I want to like him, but I want to hit him even more. And I never hit people.

Edit: And yep, that's him in that ad. Wow, that whole thing is just creepy as hell. The whole text reads spoiled, inflated narcissism. And anyone with half a brain will realize that an urban area has long passed its cultural peak and is heading mercilessly down the steep slope of gentrification by the time an ad like that gets made.

At least I know where not to stay if I go to Copenhagen.

"Contrast is our fuel and preferred fetish"

*low contrast vintage fade effect shot of city*

Archived