IGNORED

36 - Sine Dust EP

brisk

• 1 month later...

I don't understand his subscriptions, why limit the number of Versions EP you can sell, bc half the interested listeners will forget and never come back to his bandcamp. Let me know when I can get this separately, love his stuff.

I don't understand his subscriptions, why limit the number of Versions EP you can sell, bc half the interested listeners will forget and never come back to his bandcamp. Let me know when I can get this separately, love his stuff.

I think the big misconception with subscriber exclusives is that they were never intended to be made available for sale in the first place. I can see how people get confused, but for me, they're nothing more as a bonus/thank-you for the people who were kind and generous enough to subscribe. Ghost Vault and Sine Dust Versions aren't something I'd be comfortable charging money for separately, as they're derivatives of my main albums/ep's and not something I feel stand on their own. They're companion works for me, nothing more. Still, I don't really like the idea of keeping music behind a paywall either (even though commercially music is a paywall by definition anyway), which is why I made the albums available to stream for free at any time via the Bandcamp page or the app. It mean's people can still hear it if they don't want to subscribe, which I totally understand aren't for everyone. For someone to pay £20/year for my entire discography is a pretty good deal IMO, but even so, I realise that some of the subscribers already have a lot of my past work, so these bonus releases are a nice way to give them more value for money and make the whole thing more worthwhile to them.

The reality is, if I didn't give them to subscribers as a bonus, I wouldn't release them at all. They'd be locked away on my HDD archives, never to be heard again. Subscribers tend to be fans who want everything I make anyway, so it makes sense to give them these kinda things, as they're the kind of people who actually would like to hear them. I doubt most casual listeners of my music would care about them really, but I could be wrong.

My "proper" albums and EP's will always be available for everyone to buy though. That will never change.

• 3 years later...

Archived