IGNORED

Germanwings 4u9525

you've heard about this.

for whatever reason, the flight's 1st officer allegedly took the opportunity of the pilot's loo break to lock the cockpit door and to then execute a descent to successfully crash the plane with 150 people on board into the French Alpine mountain range.

This is kinda disturbing imo, there is generally a high level of trust & respect for aircraft pilots, they are supposed to be nice & stable people right.

Another thing:

The panic mode door lock which prevented the captain from entering the cockpit is a post-9-11 anti terror measure.

More Germans have been killed as a result of anti-terror measures than from terrorist acts.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out he was on SSRIs.

And yeah the irony of the cockpit locking mechanism backfiring like this...

After seeing the cruddy video where they demo the lock you have to wonder if the thing was really that well thought out.

There should definitely be some way to over-ride the lock.... What if the co-pilot was having a medical emergency while the pilot was not in the cabin? Seems like a very possible occurrence...

There should definitely be some way to over-ride the lock.... What if the co-pilot was having a medical emergency while the pilot was not in the cabin? Seems like a very possible occurrence...

That wouldn't be a problem because you can unlock it with the emergency code as long as whoever is in the cockpit doesn't override that (watch the video).

The problems start when someone with bad intentions has control and can actively lock themselves in. Several airlines have already instated a new rule that says two people should be in the cockpit at all times.

this is pretty much the definition of a fucked up situation.

I agree with StephenG that there needs to be a way to override the lock. I've also heard that this airline doesn't exactly have the most stringent standards in terms of the pilots they pick to fly their aircraft.

That wouldn't be a problem because you can unlock it with the emergency code as long as whoever is in the cockpit doesn't override that (watch the video).

Sorry, didn't notice that!

hmmm...

one thing that's a bit odd:

it is not clear from reports so far whether the lock actually was in panic mode, and whether the captain has tried entering the emergency unlock code. investigators mentioned the captain was knocking on the door, they did not mention any buzzer or intercom sounds.

Lufthansa CEO stated today that flight crew definitely always know the override code though.

the statements about 1st officer doing this on purpose were pretty much unambiguous though. investigators surely thought about this before reporting.

Guest chunky

the door was locked, the co-pilot was inside the cabin, the pilot knocked the door. the plane was pointing down. the co-pilot was heard breathing. the plane bumped the ground then crashed again killing everyone on board.

the media shouldnt blame the co-pilot unless there is harder evidence than that. it is possible that he has been framed by a terrorist group or foreign secret service. i cant imagine who would carry such a grudge against a well educated middle class german pilot. perhaps the iranian army.

there have been too many of these odd crashes recently. how would sherlock catch the culprits?

rest in peace

I've found the whole story really disturbing. Normally pretty immune to these kinds of tragedies.

Some of the personal stories are unbelievably sad. A small town losing 16 children. A father rushing to the airport with a forgotten passport. A mother and her baby flying home from a family funeral.

Can't even start to comprehend how someone could do this on purpose.

the media shouldnt blame the co-pilot unless there is harder evidence than that. it is possible that he has been framed by a terrorist group or foreign secret service. i cant imagine who would carry such a grudge against a well educated middle class german pilot. perhaps the iranian army.

It's not the media blaming him, it's the attorney general.

Guest chunky

the attorney general should find what's left of the cockpit and search for suspicious devices

he should also investigate any takeover bids from rivals

also check for political shenanigans over the ukrainian war , such as blackmail on germany's government

flight went totally normal until captain left the cockpit.

then the plane went into autopilot descent. the autopilot setting to go to ground level was picked up from the plane's transponder.

Guest chunky

It's possible to retrieve things from a crashed plane. Even whole luggage bags and seats. There might be evidence and they should check for it. They have decided that it was a deliberate attack, but the evidence leaves room for speculation based on reason.

In the press they are comparing the co-pilot to some of these nutty rampage shooters. In those cases of terrorism there is tonnes of evidence to back up the case that they were really mass murderers. In this case, all they can prove is that the door was locked and the co-pilot was still breathing. That doesn't prove that the co-pilot is a murderer. They can print all the newspaper articles and covers that assume that he is guilty but I don't fully believe it yet. As far as I can tell from the reports he was a man of good character, there were quotes from people at the pilot school that were very heartfelt. Mass murderers don't usually get those sort of messages.

There could be other explanations. The co-pilot may have been knocked unconscious by bad quality air in the plane. Newspapers have reported in the past about the possibility of a pilot being knocked unconscious. Notice how the pilots have refused to fly germanwings. Perhaps they know of a problem. Perhaps the pilot locked the door, thinking he could return without any problems. About disabling the auto-pilot, I haven't an explanation.

Another explanation is terrorism. The two Malaysian planes that went down had a lot of political circumstances around them (the war in Ukraine) and Malaysia has a recent history of speaking against globalism in a very insulting way to some of the most influential people in the world. There's a significant amount of powerful people who wouldn't give a damn if more Malaysian airplanes kept on falling out of the sky because of Malaysian leaders have tried to keep Malaysia as an independent nation state. Germanwings could have been done by the same violent international mafia gang that did the Malaysian planes in.

The co-pilot died with the other passengers, he cannot defend himself or explain what happened. I'm not certain that the evidence backs up the claims made by the authorities. All they have now is a theory. I'm surprised that the media isn't being more questioning and restrained.

Splitting up with his girlfriend or having depression in 2008 doesn't mean that the co-pilot is definitely guilty. Hiding a sick is note is something that a hard working grafter might do, people do it all the time, it is not hard evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Evidence_law

Knock knock.

Who's there?

The pilot who is supposed to be flying this plane! Now open this door and let me in!

The pilot who is supposed to be flying this plane now open this door and let me in, who?

[joke unfinished because mountain]

shut up, I waited at least a day for this one

Knock knock.

Who's there?

The pilot who is supposed to be flying this plane! Now open this door and let me in!

The pilot who is supposed to be flying this plane now open this door and let me in, who?

That's in really poor taste.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

That's in really poor taste.

I agree.

@ chunky

wat? isn't terrorism usually the go to thing everyone jumps on when something bad happens? they didn't, in this case.

pretty sure they did make sure to rule out accident events before publicly stating the copilot did act purposefully. there is evidence, they have the cockpit audio logs as well as transponder & radar data, the copilot angle is the most coherent, plausible cause of the crash.

who would benefit from a smear campaign against the copilot, or the hiding of a terrorist plot? Fucking nobody. why do you draw a connection to Malaysian air crashes out of thin air? It doesn't make any sense to me.

also, they are looking for further evidence obviously, but there's hardly anything the size of a seat left of the plane.

also, "they": multiple international parties, state officials, flight agencies, the airline.. you really think they would somehow manage to secretly conspire against the copilot...?

Archived