IGNORED

Top Gear fallout

Rubin Farr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HUGE fan of top gear UK and Clarkson in particular. I can't really defend his actions but I'll be sad to see him go. I hope there is still a future for the trio somewhere else

Jeremy Clarkson looks like an old bollock that has been left out in the sun. That's my only thoughts on the whole thing.

show can be entertaining. the old lady used to watch it a lot. she just made me watch the vietnam episode. don't feel strongly one way or another because there's like already 100000000 episodes i've never seen. i'll never watch them all anyways

The show is hilarious. I'm an American male, so car lust is inborn; cars plus humor and silliness is a winning combo (also see: Car Talk).

I had no clue people were actually offended by Clarkson/anyone else's insensitivity and terrible sense of humor...I really thought that was trumped up media shit. Oh well though.

Although I've always enjoyed top gear, Steve Coogan got it spot on -

"Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter."

I've never been able to figure out whether I love or hate Clarkson. He's on the same spectrum as the Gallagher brothers for me.

Either way, I can't say I'm too bothered about Top Gear being scrapped. It was entertaining at times, but like someone said a couple of posts above, there's a ton of episodes that I haven't seen so it won't make a blind bit of difference to me.

Steve Coogan summed them up well:

"The Lads have this strange notion that if they are being offensive it bestows on them a kind of anti-establishment aura of coolness; in fact, like their leather jackets and jeans, it is uber-conservative (which isn't cool)."

Also:

edit: Ludd I hate you too now.

Just a matter of time, really - Clarkson's previous run-ins, racial remarks, and now this (reportedly over the fact his late-night meal wasn't warm enough, the prima donna) - surprised he lasted as long as he did, but Top Gear makes loads of cash for BBC/BBC Worldwide.

I saw a poll asking if people would watch without the trio, and it was overwhelmingly against that idea.

I doubt the show could continue without Clarkson - May and Hammond just don't have it on their own to do it (although I do like James May from time to time).

Just a matter of time, really - Clarkson's previous run-ins, racial remarks, and now this (reportedly over the fact his late-night meal wasn't warm enough, the prima donna) - surprised he lasted as long as he did, but Top Gear makes loads of cash for BBC/BBC Worldwide.

I saw a poll asking if people would watch without the trio, and it was overwhelmingly against that idea.

I doubt the show could continue without Clarkson - May and Hammond just don't have it on their own to do it (although I do like James May from time to time).

As for here in the UK, Top Gear doesn't make any cash for the BBC since the BBC is funded by taxpayers who have to pay for a TV Licence to watch the TV in the first place (even if you don't watch BBC channels, you still have to pay the licence).

As for BBC Worldwide, I'm sure the BBC will still have their shows syndicated and still get a fuck ton of revenue because people just can't seem to get enough of absolute shite like Doctor Who and Sherlock.

Clarkson is a massive twat, I saw on the Guardian an article about Guy Martin presenting which would be a good choice. Not that I would watch it then either because I'm not interested in cars.

I enjoyed Top Gear before it became overly scripted / set-up but stopped watching a while back. A shame it had to end in such a way. The punishment is apt: even if the apology is there, violence can't be condoned or let off lightly.

And Clarkson has done the right thing by using his only bit of direct correspondence with the media to ask people to leave the producer in question alone, as he (the producer Tymon) has done nothing wrong, currently receiving death threats and hate mail despite being the victim. Plenty of Clarkson's views I do not agree with but he's more gracious than some who have fucked up in the public sphere.

Ya know, I've never gotten the impression that Clarkson is an actual asshole. He seems like a snarky guy who, in an attempt at true comedy, sometimes goes too far for a joke. He of course can't get away with that because he's not an actual comedian, just a tv personality, so he's held to a different standard.

The fight thing seems like maybe he (perhaps the producer in question as well) were a bit drunk and got in a light tussle. Honestly, it seems harmless. I wasn't there, of course. And I'm not saying BBC weren't within their rights to oust him, just saying that I don't see anything from Clarkson that's particularly struck me as dickish (other than the played up and well-edited 'hijinks' for the cameras)

Any instances of him being a true outright cunt would be great to see.

Ya know, I've never gotten the impression that Clarkson is an actual asshole. He seems like a snarky guy who, in an attempt at true comedy, sometimes goes too far for a joke. He of course can't get away with that because he's not an actual comedian, just a tv personality, so he's held to a different standard.

The fight thing seems like maybe he (perhaps the producer in question as well) were a bit drunk and got in a light tussle. Honestly, it seems harmless. I wasn't there, of course. And I'm not saying BBC weren't within their rights to oust him, just saying that I don't see anything from Clarkson that's particularly struck me as dickish (other than the played up and well-edited 'hijinks' for the cameras)

Any instances of him being a true outright cunt would be great to see.

here you go

Archived