IGNORED

Tribute to Olympus Mons

Root5

The winner of this year's MOST IDM tournament is Olympus Mons!

As is our custom, we should put together a tribute album for Olympus Mons. So let's get those knobs a'twiddlin' and make some massive monumental music for this mighty Martian mountain.

The deadline for submitting tracks is June 30th July 6th! CLOSED

Instructions for submitting a track (please follow these):

1. Write track(s). You can absolutely submit more than one, and you can even get more than one in the album.

2. Send tracks to cytoplantastic [at] gmail [dot] com. I much prefer emails to PMs, because it's easier for me to keep track of all the submissions. Use dropbox or something because the files will probably be too big to attach.

3. In the email, please include your artist name and the track title. Also, please indicate which is the artist name and which is the track title, because it's sometimes really hard to tell.

Rules about the tracks (please also follow these):

1. These must be unreleased original tracks. No previously released material please. We want the album to be fresssshhhhh.

2. Please send uncompressed audio (AIF or WAV files). No mp3s. Try to avoid flacs, but if you have to it's not a big deal.

3. Please send unmastered tracks. The winning tracks will get mastered together so that the album has a good flow.

4. You can submit as many tracks as you like. I like to be flexible about including multiple tracks by the same person. So don't be shy.

5. Collaborations are encouraged.

Other stuff you should know about how this process works (read this if you're new):

1. The tracks will be judged by a panel of judges, some watmmers, some non-watmmers. The judging will be reasonably anonymous, meaning that I won't include your artist names in the judging process. Please abstain from showing your tracks to other watmmers before the comp is out. Also, do NOT post your tracks in this thread!

2. The tracks will be judged based on their relevance to the theme as well as how much the judges like your tracks. If you submit a really good track, but it's obviously about the international bagel, it probably won't make it. Make the tracks represent Olympus Mons.

3. You can make the tracks of any length. But, a 20 minute jam session might not work so well on a compilation album so keep this in mind. That said, we have some awesome longer tracks on past albums, and it's never been a problem. We also have some great short interludes.

4. The winning tracks will go on an album up on bandcamp. The album will be under a creative commons attribution license and free to download.

Album art stuff

Usually a watmmer has visual arts ability and volunteers to do album art. If you'd like to do album art, send me an email or post in this thread. I encourage you to come up with an example of the type of thing you'd do. Past albums have had excellent album and track art, and it's really contributed to the experience.

Some past compilation albums we've done:

8th MOST IDM winner: Tribute to Mycorrhizae

7th MOST IDM winner: The rogue planet named CFBDSIR_2149-0403 freely drifting in outer space after being ejected from orbit

6th MOST IDM winner: Incomplete Skyscrapers

5th MOST IDM winner: Nikola Tesla

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll finally submit something this time round. No more procrastination.

I said I would participate but I'm on a low inspiration time.. easter holidays are coming tho.. I might pull off something then, we'll see

Consider doing a collab

I said I would participate but I'm on a low inspiration time.. easter holidays are coming tho.. I might pull off something then, we'll see

Consider doing a collab

no need, I just got my hands on some wicked acid techno and heard ISAM for the first time. that together with jlins new album has put me right into gear to making some noise, I'm cooking up some insane stuff ;)

*proceeds to read as much as i can on Olympus Mons*

"The extraordinary size of Olympus Mons is likely because Mars lacks mobile tectonic plates. Unlike on Earth, the crust of Mars remains fixed over a stationary hotspot, and a volcano can continue to discharge lava until it reaches an enormous height."

pretty interesting

• 3 weeks later...

Archived