IGNORED

TIDAL

klore

It's lame BC doesn't add free tracks to your library, unless you paid for em.

Yeah that sucks, I remember mentioning it for one of the previous "most IDM" compilations. I think its an option the provider has to enable?

It's lame BC doesn't add free tracks to your library, unless you paid for em.

Yeah that sucks, I remember mentioning it for one of the previous "most IDM" compilations. I think its an option the provider has to enable?

i think that's a decent incentive to get people to shell out some coin for the music. it's not like there's some threshold to break to get streaming too, right? i don't really use bandcamp streaming anyways since everything ends up in my free google play account.

but anyways bandcamp is an awesome service

• 2 weeks later...

I recently cancelled my subscription with Wimp/Tidal, and it's nice to have these frequent reminders that it was the right decision.

• 3 weeks later...

jay-z-tidal.jpg?w=625

No matter how bad you mess something up, you’ll probably never screw up anything as badly as Jay Z and company have screwed up the launch of Tidal. Last week, we saw reports saying that Tidal was in danger of losing the rights to stream artists from Sony’s catalog — including the songs of Jay Z’s wife and flagship Tidal artist Beyoncé — unless it forked over a big advance that the company was having trouble finding money to pay. Music Business News has filled in some more of the details on this story and it looks like Tidal still hasn’t come up with the cash to pay off Sony.

“Sources suggest that Tidal is now looking for a streaming partner to help lift some of the financial burden,” the publication reports. “An attempted get-together with Rhapsody earlier this year went nowhere, but the platform continues to search for the chance to buddy-up with one of the industry’s smaller players. The likes of Rdio could be an ideal option; bringing together an established player within the streaming world with Tidal’s editorial and brand power.”

All the same, we have a hard time imagining that scrambling around to find another streaming service to help raise cash just months after its launch was what Jay Z had in mind when Tidal went live earlier this year.

In other Tidal news, Business Insider brings us word that rapper 50 Cent has offered a very good explanation for why the service is likely doomed — as we’ve seen with Beyoncé, the artists involved in founding Tidal don’t control their own music. As long as their labels have the rights to put their music on Spotify, Pandora and other services that cost less money, it’s just not likely that Tidal will gain significant marketplace traction.

“They probably could’ve did something more exciting if they reached out, because the people you saw there don’t even own the rights to their music,” said 50 Cent recently. “So they can’t say it’s gonna come out of Tidal. It has to go everywhere. So why would you actually buy Tidal to get something that would be everywhere else?”

Bandcamp is all I use. I never stream through their service since everything is on my devices.

they have a streaming service? or are you just talking about being able to stream stuff with their applet on the purchase page? The stream is so low quality ( i think even lower than soundcloud) its hard for me to imagine someone ordering something off bandcamp only to not download it or not store the files on a proper device. I guess im just too old for this cloud shit

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Bandcamp is all I use. I never stream through their service since everything is on my devices.

they have a streaming service? or are you just talking about being able to stream stuff with their applet on the purchase page? The stream is so low quality ( i think even lower than soundcloud) its hard for me to imagine someone ordering something off bandcamp only to not download it or not store the files on a proper device. I guess im just too old for this cloud shit

What format/quality are the streams on Bandcamp?

They’re MP3-128s. However, if you’re in the app and on wifi, items you’ve purchased stream as MP3-V0s (~250kbit/s on average).

I still download them in lossless, but for when I'm out and about their streaming service is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

If Tidal wasn't already finished, it soon will be once Apple get rolling.

That Taylor Swift nonsense...

Apple must be the only company that can make an embarrassing u-turn look like great PR.

I'd put good money on Kanye West dumping Tidal and signing some exclusive album launch with Apple.

Nobody can fight a company with that much marketing clout.

Of course, wheeling out a bunch of millionaires to whine about not being paid fairly is where the trouble all stems from.

I really think Tidal had a good chance at making a name for itself if it hadn't been such a disaster at launch. Just making a video of Jay-Z and his rich pals hoisting champagne glasses and talking about 'Changing The Narrative' and 'Writing The Story' - wtf are these people talking about?

Where were the details of Tidal? Nowhere. Jay-Z seemed to think that his celebrity status would somehow be enough to win people over when all it did was alienate everyone.

It's a clear case of people with too much money showing no humility or understanding for their target market. Only a egocentric tool like Jay-Z could have fucked this up so bad.

• 2 weeks later...

hahahaha hi fi prince. thats a lol. anyone who is a prince fan knows that u can just get the old cds for 6 bucks in the bargain bin and that'll be the highest fidelity digital sign o the times you'll hear. incredibly quiet and narrow.

• 4 weeks later...