IGNORED

Tame Impala - Currents

misc

Yeah, Robert Beatty smashed it out of the park with those covers; big fan of his work.

I dig "Let It Happen," but am still warming up to " 'Cause I'm A Man." I'm sure it'll click and I'll fall in love with Currents as a whole once I give the album a full spin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Papillon

Yeah, Robert Beatty smashed it out of the park with those covers; big fan of his work.

I dig "Let It Happen," but am still warming up to " 'Cause I'm A Man." I'm sure it'll click and I'll fall in love with Currents as a whole once I give the album a full spin.

I think they are both top notch but I'm a big fan of the band, I don't get "cheesy" with the new track I get subtle beautiful melody, complexity and wicked vocals, it's pretty much perfect for a "pop" song IMHOit reminds me of the Bilal track little one, or Prince...

The album cover is very cool but it reminds me of my kidney stones when they travelled through my ureter... Ouch

Guest bitroast

i will fucking buy this album based on that cover alone. i mean, i enjoy their previous two albums too but could almost give or take with more tame impala atm.

but that album cover man. has me sold. i didn't really like the album cover for lonerism but the first album had a sweet cover. reminds me of doing acid during a camp trip with mates out in country and that cover is pretty spot on (that particular album was listened to alot and it was pretty god damn lush).

not sure about that latest single...

sounds like when yeasayer went over the top with the 80s cheese.

yeah I heard that new track and thought it was very iffy

the dj who played it (and the guests in the studio) were going mad over it though :shrug:

Guest Papillon

probably because it's very on trend

Really?

Is this type of sound popular right now? I wouldn't know because I don't really follow trends, at least I don't think I do. I'm surprised to hear that, I guess I should take a second look at the charts. I'm living in the past.

• 2 months later...

the new songs are the only one of them i dislike which makes me sad because i was looking forward to that Album

Yeah and I saw them a little over a month ago at Boston Calling and the main guy just looked bored and it was meh.

Death Grips on the other hand...

the new songs are the only one of them i dislike which makes me sad because i was looking forward to that Album

Yeah and I saw them a little over a month ago at Boston Calling and the main guy just looked bored and it was meh.

You mean kevin parker ? i saw them live too a few years back and it was awesome also this kind of music is rare in Europe.

for me and maybe a lot of other fans the new album is a huge dissapointmend, beside of the synth pop sound and the extrem cheesy sound the vocals are awfull,

it sounds like someone cut his balls off.

He should have made this Album under his name and not Tame Impala cause I dont think the band was involved in this.

You mean kevin parker ? i saw them live too a few years back and it was awesome also this kind of music is rare in Europe.

for me and maybe a lot of other fans the new album is a huge dissapointmend, beside of the synth pop sound and the extrem cheesy sound the vocals are awfull,

He should have made this Album under his name and not Tame Impala cause I dont think the band was involved in this.

Yeah Kevin Parker just looked incredibly bored and I think the new stuff sounds like music for total simps. Pussified

Yeah Kevin Parker just looked incredibly bored and I think the new stuff sounds like music for total simps. Pussified
I've seen them live twice and both times I've been told the band don't seem to enjoy the fan's reaction to the songs. I've been told they want people to just stroke their chins and calmy nod but there music is danceable enough to get a pit going etc. Maybe he just doesn't like playing live tho I unno.

The new album is good, but Innerspeaker is still their best. They have gone pretty groovy and almost RnBish on the new one. Still cool tho.

I can see why fans of the other 2 albums wouldn't like this, but this sounds great to me. definitely more '80s psychadellic pop sounding kinda like neon indian or toro y moi... gone are the 60s/70s rock elements.

only weak point are some of the lyrics are more emo-ish than on previous albums...sounds like he's taking the break-up from his girlfriend very hard and this in turn is driving alot of the change in sound we're getting on the new album

didnt know he broke up with Melody Prochet he even produced her music, ah well he can have every girl i imagine, still new album sucks bad.

pitchfork gave it an 9.3.

Kevin Parker discussing psych/Currents:

“Psychedelia is not ‘these instruments plus these instruments plus these scales = psychedelia’, nor is it a genre,” he insists. “It has nothing to with guitar or synths. Psychedelia is a sensation. It’s when you transport people; where you feel like you’re outside your own skin. ‘Lonerism’ did not induce that sensation. I never saw it as transportive.”
By that logic, does that mean ‘Currents’ is actually more psychedelic than ‘Lonerism’? “Sure, yeah. I mean I think of Aphex Twin as more psychedelic than, say, Cream, so…”

source:

Archived