IGNORED

Extropy, a film by Jega

cear

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah, directed and sound by Jega, but uh- yah. When I read the thread title, the cynical bitch in me was thinking, "Okay- so a film that will be delayed for several years... (uh, Variance)" Hardy fucking har. Yah, but, Variance is better than this.

CGI and whatever the fuck- it doesn't matter what it looks like, because when style is solidified, that is when true aesthetics speak-- doesn't matter if it's Hollywood level CGI or gouraud shaded low-poly clunks of shit. If it's good, it's good-- and it'd be good because it's saying something. That's why Minecraft looks perfect. This project is too much Tron + Blade Runner + MechWarrior + Macross + Batman whatever Angelica from Rugrats, to stand on its own aesthetically. The emotionless face can have a purpose, but it seems to not. Perhaps the sound effects that do not seem to interact with the environment are intentional to imply a rough computer simulation, but not enough is given to further that concept if the case. The slo-mo explosion flip ala Matrix can still be done cooly, even if cliche, but in this case I'm yelling in my head going, "Dude, I didn't even build up anything to know how cool that's supposed to look, cuz the slow speed Wipeout at half-framerate Angelica from Rugrats."

Overall, maybe this is a trailer to something good... But for what it is now, it seems to say nothing.

Variance-- good, though.

I think we can all agree a bit on Variance. Cuz if I watch the vid 10 more times to see what posts are complaining about, Imma have to take myself out in the octagon.

Yah, directed and sound by Jega, but uh- yah. When I read the thread title, the cynical bitch in me was thinking, "Okay- so a film that will be delayed for several years... (uh, Variance)" Hardy fucking har. Yah, but, Variance is better than this.

CGI and whatever the fuck- it doesn't matter what it looks like, because when style is solidified, that is when true aesthetics speak-- doesn't matter if it's Hollywood level CGI or gouraud shaded low-poly clunks of shit. If it's good, it's good-- and it'd be good because it's saying something. That's why Minecraft looks perfect. This project is too much Tron + Blade Runner + MechWarrior + Macross + Batman whatever Angelica from Rugrats, to stand on its own aesthetically. The emotionless face can have a purpose, but it seems to not. Perhaps the sound effects that do not seem to interact with the environment are intentional to imply a rough computer simulation, but not enough is given to further that concept if the case. The slo-mo explosion flip ala Matrix can still be done cooly, even if cliche, but in this case I'm yelling in my head going, "Dude, I didn't even build up anything to know how cool that's supposed to look, cuz the slow speed Wipeout at half-framerate Angelica from Rugrats."

Overall, maybe this is a trailer to something good... But for what it is now, it seems to say nothing.

Variance-- good, though.

I think we can all agree a bit on Variance. Cuz if I watch the vid 10 more times to see what posts are complaining about, Imma have to take myself out in the octagon.

this is how its done:

https://vimeo.com/122325664

(music by hecq)

''What is extropy? It's the melding of the biomechanics of life in which man and machine become one. What is life? What is our purpose as machines on earth as we navigate the cityscapes? Extropy is life''

Holy fuck my IQ just dropped 20 points reading that.

The Jega vid looks great; love the art direction and how the suit changes shape.

good one

The veneer of nostalgia supersedes any perceived technological shortfalls (imho)

The Jega vid looks great; love the art direction and how the suit changes shape.

good one

The veneer of nostalgia supersedes any perceived technological shortfalls (imho)

Oh YES!

Growing up watching YTV they had some really cool CGI shorts between programs like so:

They were clips from CGI demo videos like the above 'The Mind's Eye' and were unbelievably cool to see in the early 1990s!

Thread derail, I am not personally asserting that Jega's vid looks like these in an archaic sense. Extropy actually looks more like a PS3 game to me.

I really like the scaling on the Jega video. I think the music is not the strongest, and a little bit more work on it could improve it. Only some minor criticisms of the animation, but overall I think it's pretty great. I would watch a show based on that universe if it is was all animated that way. I wish video games had this kind of art direction and cinematics as well.

I'm fairly sure there won't be a full length feature to go along with this. i'll call his bluff on that one. You can see the way he's plastered his name all over it (with an all new unnecessary 'J' in there) it's all about the vanity and not much content. Bless him. It's just some guy showing that he can do a bit of computer graphic stuff on his fancy PC when she should be doing something useful like going out to get some bread or fixing the hinge on the microwave door.

Yikes, the snark in here is potent.

Considering he did the whole thing himself, I'm impressed.

As a CG artist and amateur composer myself I know what went into this and even though the result isn't hard-hitting and innovative, it's very well done and more a proof of skill and vague concept than grand statement and I think he knows that.

I've made little animation/sound pieces for exercise and promotion too, most people in the business do, and this is a really nice example.

It doesn't really go anywhere and is kinda generic, but I'd hire him in a heartbeat to work on something legit.

there's lots of good stuff in this, but at the same time there's something just slightly off about the whole thing. the animation is a bit too rigid, the visual a bit too clear and polished looking, there's an uncanny valley feel to the face, and in general it seems a bit show-offy with no real solid idea behind it. still, quite technically acomplished, with a bit more tweaking and an original idea underpinning the whole thing it could be pretty decent.

that Sunday thing was pretty impressive though, left me intrigued,

so are the police just killing random people commuting to work? why? or does everyone own bullet proof cars just in case the police randomly shoots at up-to-no-good punks?

dis i like, reminds me of ..

haha this thread is great cause it reminds me who on the board has good taste and who i should avoid.

GOOD LITMUS TEST DYLAN

edit: except g-sanch. he my boi

lol I was thinking that too, hence the Batman question

but I think I exceeded 21 & got them all sheepish.

Didn't get to watch the whole thing at first because of slow internet. After seeing it, I have mixed feelings. While the visual quality is legit, all the action made as much sense as the entire Michael Jackson: Moonwalker movie. It is never explained why half-motorcycle half-robot man is being shot at.

Fuck it, I need some hard liquor.

Archived