IGNORED

True Detective Season 2

Twelvetrees

"More than art to be considered, or entertainment to be consumed, True Detective Season Two is a test to be endured. Can you hear what they’re saying without turning your TV’s volume past 50? Do you know what an A.P.B. is, and do you have a working knowledge of the films of Elia Kazan? Do you remember what Frank said to Ray over the barroom table four episodes ago, or what Ray said to Ani? Can you successfully track the intricacies of True Detective’s needlessly intricate plot?

Each time a new scene begins, you think to yourself: If I miss a word, am I going to be OK? Is this one of the plot-driving conversations that will leave me behind like a tenth-grader in calculus class if I start daydreaming? Or is it more fluff about Ani’s one-dimensional relationship with her father or Ray’s one-dimensional relationship with his son? Can I safely ignore it?"

http://morningafter.gawker.com/everything-is-fucking-true-detectives-too-complex-epis-1722092478

this has been me to a tee. except, somewhere along the lines, i realized it's not even worth it to try and follow along because the payoff isn't worth it. now i have the show running whilst browsing the internet and i find, whilst still confused, at least i enjoy browsing the internet

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who isn't having trouble following the plot? My memory is shit, so I occasionally forget the odd character's name (I often don't know half the character names in certain shows, but it's easy to know who's talking about who from the context), but it seems fairly straightforward to me. It certainly doesn't require any effort on my part: turn on show, look at show, listen to show, turn off show. done. information is now in my brain.

The only slightly confusing thing for me was this Stan fellow - why was he so goddamned important all of a sudden - he'd been in two scenes prior to his death.

Otherwise yeah it wasn't really difficult to follow. It's no Mulholland Dr. or anything along those lines.

The only slightly confusing thing for me was this Stan fellow - why was he so goddamned important all of a sudden - he'd been in two scenes prior to his death.

Otherwise yeah it wasn't really difficult to follow. It's no Mulholland Dr. or anything along those lines.

Yeah, not sure why they bothered to have a scene with Stan's widow and son, the tiny snippet of plot development he extracted from the wife could have been had in far easier ways. I forgot his name immediately after they found him dead, but I didn't forget the plot point, he just became that henchman who got whacked.

i have to admit story/plot wise i'm liking Season 2 of True Detectives a lot more than Season 1. The acting and atmosphere is a little more uneven but I was deeply disappointed by the cheesy lawnmower driver Silence of the Lambs esque serial killer confrontation at the end of S1, it kinda ruined my memory of the show for me to a certain extent.

i have to admit story/plot wise i'm liking Season 2 of True Detectives a lot more than Season 1. The acting and atmosphere is a little more uneven but I was deeply disappointed by the cheesy lawnmower driver Silence of the Lambs esque serial killer confrontation at the end of S1, it kinda ruined my memory of the show for me to a certain extent.

In a way the two seasons are almost opposite - Season 1 started out with all the high-falutin spiel of Rust and "time is a flat circle" (which i thought could have become something even cooler) and then became a boring hunt for the villain (who even though he committed crimes full of intricate details ended up kind of being slightly retahhhded). Season 2 started out as a boring investigation into a murder and evolved into a full on conspiracy.

I gave up on True Detective 2 after it was getting more and more shit, i gave up after episode 4 with that shoot out of random characters who had been in a pawn shop.

Did the series improve afterwards? It must have had 270ml of steroids up its arse because it was the biggest pile of shit i've seen in my life till that point. You cocksuckaz tellin me the last 4 episodes are actually worth watching? Vaughan blows.

I kinda held out hope at the beginning of season 2 we might see them linked, especially after the animal masks, rubber bullets fiasco. A nationwide conspiracy could hold the series together into further seasons. Who knows...

I gave up on True Detective 2 after it was getting more and more shit, i gave up after episode 4 with that shoot out of random characters who had been in a pawn shop.

Did the series improve afterwards?

it's gotten worse since. first of all, after that scene where it was like "awww fuck, we just shot a bunch of people including all the cops that got killed in the crossfire" the next episode was like "hi guys. so um.... mumble mumble mumble about EVERYTHING EXCEPT THAT SHOOTOUT" then add to the mix more storylines about 'who gives a shit' mixed with 'remember at one point we mentioned some guy who you never heard from again. ummm his name, and this other information that you may or may not ever need to remember'

I had more faith than most at the start of Season 2, 3 episodes in i was like ''they can turn this around''. I looked like an ass for recommending it. The show was badly written. Episode 4 was the time to bail out and accept my failure in judgement.

I thought it picked up after 5 or so and the various plot points finally became easier to understand. I don't understand how it can be confusing at this point if you've seen the other episodes. Maybe a tad messy, I admit, but it's a good show.

if they do a season 3, maybe it will get all meta, like it's a show on HBO, based on a series of crimes that inspired a show on HBO, with Nic Pizzolatto starring as the asshole writer who accidentally discovered a real conspiracy within HBO, LOL

Frank, Velcoro, Woodrugh, Bezzerides, Osip, Chessani, Dixon, Jacob Candless, Halloway, Burress, Stan, the other Chessani, Blake, Dr. Pitlor, Davis, Geldoff, Jordan, Eliot Bezzerides, Sister Bezzerides, Irina, Laura and Leonard Osterman, Vera, Gena...

don't you DARE forget who any of them are or what they said the last time they were on the show or you're fucked.

I admit I was fuzzy on a lot of those details pointed out in the slate article but I am always really high when watching this which I'm sure hasn't helped.

I'll also have to restart Deadwood with subtitles this time.

All these complaints about how difficult it is to follow and for me that's the best part of it. It's relentless and doesn't hold your hand through anything. All the different plot lines and characters form this huge web of conspiracy all leading to the big ol' spider at the top in the last episode (hopefully).

The fact that you can look at two unrelated plot lines and then slowly start to realise the small connections between them which then stem off onto other plot lines or characters, really emphasises the scale of the corruption they've just discovered.

I love it. It's kind of like a darker, less stoned out version of inherent vice. I think i'm enjoying this season more than the first at this point.

Season 2 is no way directed as well as season 1, why did they get rid of Cary Joji Fukunaga? Season 1 was all about the directing, look at the mind melting scene in the ghetto, the absolute high point of TD.

All these complaints about how difficult it is to follow and for me that's the best part of it. It's relentless and doesn't hold your hand through anything. All the different plot lines and characters form this huge web of conspiracy all leading to the big ol' spider at the top in the last episode (hopefully).

The fact that you can look at two unrelated plot lines and then slowly start to realise the small connections between them which then stem off onto other plot lines or characters, really emphasises the scale of the corruption they've just discovered.

I love it. It's kind of like a darker, less stoned out version of inherent vice. I think i'm enjoying this season more than the first at this point.

I'm enjoying this MUCH more than Inherent Vice. PTA needs a bitchslap for that one.

yeah, that was definitely one where it was hard to figure out what the fuck was going on at times. I think I basically know the plot, but not a lot of the details. Having said that, I still enjoyed watching it quite a lot.

It made me feel stoned just watching it.

Season 2 is no way directed as well as season 1, why did they get rid of Cary Joji Fukunaga? Season 1 was all about the directing, look at the mind melting scene in the ghetto, the absolute high point of TD.

Apparently he did not get along at all with Nic Pizzolatto. The asshole Asian director character this season was a direct dig at him.

they should've kept Fukunaga. the direction isn't utterly awful but it is markedly clunkier than season 1. I still enjoy this season and think it's underrated overall, though.

Archived