IGNORED

True Detective Season 2

Twelvetrees

The hard drive erased itself because they put in the wrong password, so the whole exchange with Holloway was a bluff, to get him on record and get evidence to clear themselves of Paul's death and whatever else was pinned on them by the conspiracy.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that doesn't make sense though, so if its not encrypted and it was just 'erased' it could have probably been recovered by someone with the program Diskwarrior. So in essence the birdman was dumb as fuck with computers, and the 3 'true' detectives were even dumber with them. Still a good ending, but sad they couldn't figure out how to do a simple data recovery

I believe it was encrypted, at least I think I remember the sister saying that. It was encrypted and had self-erase mechanisms in place as well. Also, overwriting data with one pass is enough for the vast majority of data, Diskwarrior certainly isn't going to recover that. Overwriting with 7 passes would ensure virtual impossibility of data recovery. And finally degaussing the disks would destroy that data forever.

as i understand it, formatting/erasing a hard drive with one pass makes it extremely easy to recover. Maybe not diskwarrior, but I thought sectors on the hard drive needed to be re-written in order for erased data to be unrecoverable.

Anyone remember this scene from the beginning of episode 3?

"I see you, running through the trees. You're small, the trees are like giants. Men are chasing you. You step out the trees and you ain't that fast. They kill you. They shoot you to pieces."

"Where is this?"

"I don't know. You were here first."

Love a good bit of foreshadowing.

I actually think if you binge watch you'll probably like it more than watching week to week because of how complicated this season's plot is. Easier to keep track of all the details over a few days of watching vs 2 months.

I actually think if you binge watch you'll probably like it more than watching week to week because of how complicated this season's plot is. Easier to keep track of all the details over a few days of watching vs 2 months.

agreed, whereas the previous season would have suffered immensely from a binge watching imo.

as i understand it, formatting/erasing a hard drive with one pass makes it extremely easy to recover. Maybe not diskwarrior, but I thought sectors on the hard drive needed to be re-written in order for erased data to be unrecoverable.

that's what erasing with a full pass means, rewriting all the bytes with zeros. a normal file delete will just delete the index entries and add the pointers to the file data into the free space list (either at the head or the tail, depending), but if you had a secure system that was programed to delete shit on unauthorised access you wouldn't be doing a simple delete like that. it's pretty easy to believe birdhead would be dumb enough to be unable to figure it out regardless, he was a crazy person. and velcoro and co didn't have the disk to check, it was with bird-head in the mall.

What was on those tapes Casper had?

they were blackmail tapes, do you not remember the video camera setup? it was his whore pad remember.

Did Holloway die with the blue diamonds in his possession?

No, they were fake, he told Velcoro he'd have brought the real ones if he knew he'd be meeting him.

Pretty good end to the series, but very uneven overall directing-wise and acting-wise. Some great sequences, I'm guessing the directors are more suited to the action end of the spectrum, because that stuff was all done really well. The character building stuff was pretty weak at times though, especially anything involving Vaughn and his missus, the dialog sounded especially clunky there. The plotting was excellently done though, and seeing it all fit together so well and have all the loose ends tied up was very satisfying. The tone in general was great too, nice photography, and lots of nice little Lynchian references in there as well. Spot on with the Elroy remark, captures that whole seedy/depressing vibe he always has going on.

Also, I think Nebraska may suffer from Anterograde Amnesia, you should probably get that checked out.

I like that Frank was ultimately undone by a loose end he'd forgotten all about. Those guys weren't in the frame at all to him, they were just a nuisance.

Bad/clunky lines didn't just come from Vaughn and his lady ("You're a terrible actor" was hilarious though). After she discovers Woodrugh's dead, Bezzerides line "he's just about to have a kid!" got a hearty lol from me.

good season, definitely grew better over time sorting out a empty vagueness which started it off in the first few episodes but it continued to linger throughout where as season 1 was strong at the start & got rocky near the end

could of also saved time & taken everyone out in the 1st episode as it did go full circle & the open-ending right at the end was quite weak of a strong final, they could of extended the season rather then just chopping it to a close when you just started caring about the characters, (not franks wife though)

the next season should be season 1 vs season 2 characters & see who can frown & smoke without smoking the longest, just kidding but hope theres a season 3 & they should lose the 6-8 episode run and make it longer going more in depth with the storylines rather then skipping through & should get the season 1 director back on board at least for a couple of episodes, also was wrong about franks wife... unless she was undercover, can do anything with a open-ending, they were all making a spaghetti western none of the characters really died & they lived happily ever after

Archived